Suns 2019 GM/Front Office Search

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hopes that anyone here has heard a rumor about the Suns GM/Front Office search. I am really starting to doubt the sincerity of the Suns putting an experienced name in the front office. Seriously, this franchise has been a sieve when it comes to rumors. The coaching search was an open book. It seems odd to me there is not any rumor, or speculation for that matter where it concerns this position. If not a hire by now, at least you would think some rumor would have floated about at least one contact the Suns have made. I am wondering if they are even looking?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hopes that anyone here has heard a rumor about the Suns GM/Front Office search. I am really starting to doubt the sincerity of the Suns putting an experienced name in the front office. Seriously, this franchise has been a sieve when it comes to rumors. The coaching search was an open book. It seems odd to me there is not any rumor, or speculation for that matter where it concerns this position. If not a hire by now, at least you would think some rumor would have floated about at least one contact the Suns have made. I am wondering if they are even looking?

And I would have said the exact opposite. Plenty of rumors, most of them false but very little of anything leaking from the organization (that I can tell) ever since Babby and Ryan got Sarver to back away (a bit). As for putting an experienced name in the front office, there are probably several candidates that wouldn't be hired, announced or maybe even leaked until the season is over for obvious reasons.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Or, the Suns have gone on a winning streak.

Taking the pressure off the owners to spend on a strong General Manager.

Sarver has lucked out in keeping the vault closed.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is an odd time of the year to hire anyone. Everyone's contract runs through the season so any staff that is employed elsewhere won't be interviewing right now. If we don't hear anything by the time the 1st round of the playoffs is over then I can see some concern but I suspect between the season ending and the 2nd round starting we'll have an idea of who is being targeted.

I know there are some who may be targeted that aren't employed by another team right now like David Griffin but a lot of those guys will have consulting gigs or jobs with a network that runs through the season. We're not even in the last month of the regular season right now so I think it's too early to hear anything about what we're looking for.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters as much with front office people as coaches. I would hate to wait until weeks before the draft to hire someone. That hardly gives enough time for him to get his mgmt team in place before he has to make the biggest decisions of the year.

I do believe that it might not be a bad idea to keep Jones and Bukstein in place and hire for a position above both--between them and Sarver.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters as much with front office people as coaches. I would hate to wait until weeks before the draft to hire someone. That hardly gives enough time for him to get his mgmt team in place before he has to make the biggest decisions of the year.

I do believe that it might not be a bad idea to keep Jones and Bukstein in place and hire for a position above both--between them and Sarver.
It didn't work when the D-backs hired Joe Torre in that capacity. It causes confusion in carrying out responsibility.

As I consider it now, I would rather see a strong General Manager. One who could deal with other strong General Managers with equal authority. If Sarver would allow it.

A GM who does not have that authority, well, how strong could his negotiations be if his adversary knows that he is not the decision maker? As they do now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It didn't work when the D-backs hired Joe Torre in that capacity. It causes confusion in carrying out responsibility.

As I consider it now, I would rather see a strong General Manager. One who could deal with other strong General Managers with equal authority. If Sarver would allow it.

A GM who does not have that authority, well, how strong could his negotiations be if his adversary knows that he is not the decision maker? As they do now.
I think every team in the league get's owner signoff on trades and picks. Not sure that weakens a GM.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You mean Tony LaRussa?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You mean Tony LaRussa?
Thanks. I wasn't sure, but didn't bother looking it up. With my instant recall diminishing, I should always look it up.

Speaking of Joe Torre, what would you call him if, when he was Catcher, he shied away from catching a foul popup?

Chicken Catcher Torre. :)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be okay with Paxson but it would be hard having him here since he ended our hopes of the 1992 NBA title with his game winning 3 from the corner.

Edit: Got my Paxsons mixed up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

At least it's not John Paxson. I was going to say if Sarver is considering John Paxson for a position he doesn't know Suns history or he thinks our fans are more forgiving than most. John wasn't a particularly dirty player or anything but I could never forgive him for that dagger back in 93. I don't think I'm alone in that either. Some people just won't ever be accepted by certain fanbases.

Jim Paxson never did much as a GM in Cleveland though. He was their GM from 99-05 and was hired as a consultant with the Bulls by his brother John back in 2006. I don't believe he's held any other positions since then. What is it with the Suns going after the other brother? Do we need to do that with a GM now?

He was the GM in Cleveland for the Lebron pick, which was a no brainer, but he couldn't assemble a playoff team around him throughout his first 2 years in the league and was fired after Lebron's second season in the league. The Cavs went 42-40 that year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be okay with Paxson but it would be hard having him here since he ended our hopes of the 1992 NBA title with his game winning 3 from the corner.

We're after his brother, Jim. John Paxson is the former Bull who hit that 3. Jim hasn't done anything except work as a consultant for the Bulls for the last 14 years, where his brother John hired him. John was GM with the Bulls through 2009 and then he was promoted to VP of Basketball Operations and has held that title since 09. Jim has done nothing but work as a consultant for his younger brother for the last 14 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Suns plan to set up their front office but indications are James Jones and Trevor Bukstein have done a good job.

I'd like to keep Jones in some capacity as a player liaison.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Suns plan to set up their front office but indications are James Jones and Trevor Bukstein have done a good job.
Will that include going head-to-head with players' agents on contract negotiations ... such as Oubre's? It is a cutthroat game.

I forget, is that the part of being co-GM that Jones wants or doesn't want to be part of? The question sort of answers itself either way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will that include going head-to-head with players' agents on contract negotiations ... such as Oubre's? It is a cutthroat game.

I forget, is that the part of being co-GM that Jones wants or doesn't want to be part of? The question sort of answers itself either way.

I'm only saying Jones and Bukstein have done a good job thus far. How all these parts fit together is unknown.

In regard to Jones, I think he was making the point he would not be a laptop GM spending much of his time glued to a computer.

As I recall he didn't feel this was necessary to do his job. I'm not sure if it is necessary either as long as someone is good at doing the nuts and bolts part of the job.

McDonough was very good at understanding how everything worked but seemed to fall short in dealing with player relationships. I think Jones may be better working with people.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I am guessing that they will hire someone with experience to be the president of basketball operations and then retain Jones as the GM under the hire.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see Jones retained in some capacity, probably given a title of something like VP of Player Personnel or something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo says they are being very private and have had a number of interviews already. He said that they are looking for someone to be chief of basketball operations, whatever that title might be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson