Suns 2019 GM/Front Office Search

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Gambo says they are being very private and have had a number of interviews already. He said that they are looking for someone to be chief of basketball operations, whatever that title might be.
I would take that to mean two things, both of which are essential for the Suns to begin their ascent.

(1) Make all decisions regarding basketball operations. Starting with choosing a real General Manager and experienced Head Coach to handle the day-by-day.

(2) Exemplify that Robert Sarver (having no previous basketball experience) is no longer the de-facto head of player personnel and on-court operations.

He finally went too far and forced the situation. That is good news!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would take that to mean two things, both of which are essential for the Suns to begin their ascent.

(1) Make all decisions regarding basketball operations. Starting with choosing a real General Manager and experienced Head Coach to handle the day-by-day.

(2) Exemplify that Robert Sarver (having no previous basketball experience) is no longer the de-facto head of player personnel and on-court operations.
It depends on how he wants to break up job responsibilities. I could see the COBO keeping James Jones as GM for purposes of player relations and talent evaluation. Bukstein can handle the cap and negotiating. Together with the coach they look at draft, trades, and free agency. The new guy would be more of a managing GM. This is all my speculation of course.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would want someone who would be believable as the top guy. Not someone that would be conceived as a yes man to ownership. That person needs some vision of what the Suns will be known for, and how to get the players for that system. It seems Igor has got the guys to buy in on scrappy defense. If that's the vision, we do need some better paint defenders. Some size and bulk. The Suns in recent years just kind of ask coaches what they want to do, and it seems like they think that sounds great, until games are lost, then it's that didn't work, let's try another guy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’d be shocked if Jones isn’t retained in some position of the front office if not given the GM job itself.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo says they are being very private and have had a number of interviews already. He said that they are looking for someone to be chief of basketball operations, whatever that title might be.
Man, it would be amazing if Sarver had this thought few years back when Jerry West was available.

Even now, I would consider stealing Jerry West from the Clippers to be the greatest accomplishment for the Suns in this decade. But I realize that Sarver doesn’t have anywhere close to the bank balance to bid against Ballmer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just can't...

James Jones might be a good GM, but if they don't hire someone that he will either work along side or answer to (besides Sarver) I will be very disappointed.

Oubre has been great, way better than I thought, but we got him by accident, if the trade we'd intended had gone down we'd have Brooks, we wouldn't have Oubre and (as a byproduct of having Brooks) we probably wouldn't have done the Johnson trade either.

It's better to be lucky than bad I guess.

I also suspect that Jones, by himself, will have little sway or will power to challenge Sarver's preferences during the draft and free agency. IMO, if we run with what we've got, we will have Sarver as the de facto GM with Jones advising him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre has been great, way better than I thought, but we got him by accident, if the trade we'd intended had gone down we'd have Brooks, we wouldn't have Oubre and (as a byproduct of having Brooks) we probably wouldn't have done the Johnson trade either.

I know this is going to sound like I'm arguing semantics but IMO Jones didn't get lucky on the Oubre deal, he got lucky that the Brooks deal fell apart. Once it fell apart he made a smart move and we ended up getting Oubre for less than the Wizards had initially been willing to accept for him.

But other than the clusterdeleted that preceded our trade, it wasn't much different than other deals all of which involve luck (sometimes good, sometimes bad). And if we sign Oubre to a huge deal and he reverts to earlier form once he gets paid, that will just be more luck but this time in favor of the Wizards who will have escaped that possibility by selling him cheap to us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry BC but you say this often and it doesn't hold up IMO. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, has basketball experience until he does (or, she does). Who cares if he didn't get his experience until he was almost 50 years old? There's plenty of things to rip him for, I'd stick to those issues. A simple lack of basketball related experience doesn't seem to be the problem.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sorry BC but you say this often and it doesn't hold up IMO. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, has basketball experience until he does (or, she does). Who cares if he didn't get his experience until he was almost 50 years old? There's plenty of things to rip him for, I'd stick to those issues. A simple lack of basketball related experience doesn't seem to be the problem.

such a common theme with new graduates, its the catch 22 of all catch 22's

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is a good generalization, Steve. Which is why I put it in parentheses.

But don't you agree that, in Robert Sarver's case, he used his position as an investor (and his 30%, making him Managing General Partner) and overstepped his bounds to be the de-facto General Manager, with absolutely no basketball credentials at any level? Shouting instructions at his previous GM while he was on the phone with a counterpart.

Sarver has gone through a series of unqualified GM's lacking the authority to do their job well. And a weak Head Coach who hasn't displayed inherent leadership traits needed for that tough job.

Look at the results of the past decade. If the status quo worked, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Hopefully, he will loosen the purse strings and bring in a qualified person to run basketball operations. And not revert to his bad habits when his bad publicity dies down. But that is not a given.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can only imagine Sarver trying to bring in a PoBO with the prerequisite that James Jones stay on as the GM.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I can only imagine Sarver trying to bring in a PoBO with the prerequisite that James Jones stay on as the GM.
And Jones doesn't want the whole job? Just the part he likes best.

I just re-read what you imagined. Bringing in a pro to run the basketball operation . . . with a prerequisite? That is an oxymoron.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bc. How do you define “experienced”? Is it required that the person has experience in the same job with another team? Is promoting a person from another front office job either with the Suns or another team ok?

It is really hard to find someone to make a lateral move. If they are out of work, there is a reason. Often the best hires are “move up” hires. Assistant GM to GM. Gm to dierector of basketball operations etc. this is typically how business hires happen.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bc. How do you define “experienced”? Is it required that the person has experience in the same job with another team? Is promoting a person from another front office job either with the Suns or another team ok?

It is really hard to find someone to make a lateral move. If they are out of work, there is a reason. Often the best hires are “move up” hires. Assistant GM to GM. Gm to dierector of basketball operations etc. this is typically how business hires happen.

In response to your question, I see two situations.

The resume of Jones as acting half-GM has not qualified him for the GM job. Especially since he said he does not want all of the responsibilities. Who, then? As you said, I can see (if not an experienced GM) one who has built the skill set to move up. Hiring based on reputation, not who is the cheapest or will be under the thumb of the owner.

As far as Head Coach, I would prefer one with experience. But if hiring and promoting one with Assistant experience one is the only option, leadership skills need to be taken into account. Igor is clearly a lifetime Assistant with a placid personality. Or, at best, a maintainer on a veteran team. He has proven that he is not the right candidate for an extremely young team. Or one with a domineering owner.

My wish. Throw the bankbook at Dan Majerle and make him an offer he can't refuse. And not because he is in the Ring of Honor as a player. He was immature as a player, but has matured greatly as a Head Coach, especially one of young players. And he is still enough of a loose cannon (to some degree) that he would tell Robert Sarver to pound sand if he tries to micromanage Thunder Dan.

But it needs to be a legitimate General Manager who hires him, so they are a compatible team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In response to your question, I see two situations.

The resume of Jones as acting half-GM has not qualified him for the GM job. Especially since he said he does not want all of the responsibilities. Who, then? As you said, I can see (if not an experienced GM) one who has built the skill set to move up. Hiring based on reputation, not who is the cheapest or will be under the thumb of the owner.

As far as Head Coach, I would prefer one with experience. But if hiring and promoting one with Assistant experience one is the only option, leadership skills need to be taken into account. Igor is clearly a lifetime Assistant with a placid personality. Or, at best, a maintainer on a veteran team. He has proven that he is not the right candidate for an extremely young team. Or one with a domineering owner.

My wish. Throw the bankbook at Dan Majerle and make him an offer he can't refuse. And not because he is in the Ring of Honor as a player. He was immature as a player, but has matured greatly as a Head Coach, especially one of young players. And he is still enough of a loose cannon (to some degree) that he would tell Robert Sarver to pound sand if he tries to micromanage Thunder Dan.

But it needs to be a legitimate General Manager who hires him, so they are a compatible team.
Man a mid major coach that didn’t get his team to the tourney? I understand the local name recognition. But if we hired the equivalent (like the head coach of Belmont or Murray State) you’d be the first calling for Sarver’s head becasue he brought in a nobody. And minus his stint with suns, as an nba head coaching candidate, majerle is a nobody.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man a mid major coach that didn’t get his team to the tourney? I understand the local name recognition. But if we hired the equivalent (like the head coach of Belmont or Murray State) you’d be the first calling for Sarver’s head becasue he brought in a nobody. And minus his stint with suns, as an nba head coaching candidate, majerle is a nobody.

This. The Suns can and should do a lot better than Majerle as a head coach.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He said exactly why he wants Majerle, even though he decided to beat around the bush some...

BC cares more about Sarver looking bad than the Suns record at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if he wants them to lose so long as Sarver owns the team so he doesn't have to give Sarver even a sliver of credit.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He said exactly why he wants Majerle, even though he decided to beat around the bush some...

BC cares more about Sarver looking bad than the Suns record at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if he wants them to lose so long as Sarver owns the team so he doesn't have to give Sarver even a sliver of credit.

Just the opposite. He clearly believes (and I think rightfully so) that the only hope for the Suns to become a respectable franchise again and start winning again is to find front office and coaching personnel with enough knowledge to right the ship and enough wherewithal to stand up to Sarver and temper his worst instincts to interfere, which clearly have taken this franchise down.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the "Head Coach" thread but that was supposed to be for college coaches. This isn't a GM hiring but it is more of a a front office type of hire.

Here is a pretty decent article making the case for the Suns to hire Gentry as Igor's "Lead Assistant" to help Igor and the Suns next season. He has a wealth of experience in this league and outside of being Kerr's assistant in Golden State he's had the most success here in Phoenix and knows the franchise, owner, and fan base quite well. Gentry has employed Igor as his assistant previously as well, which means there is a relationship there between them already. Having an experienced assistant coach would help Igor, especially someone like Gentry that he's worked with before and as someone with head coaching experience. Joe Prutny is the only assistant on Igor's staff with head coaching experience and that was as Milwaukee's interim last year.

It's a good read, it goes in some more detail but I like it and would support this move 100%.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/03...-the-phoenix-suns-should-hire-him-as-an-asst/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the "Head Coach" thread but that was supposed to be for college coaches. This isn't a GM hiring but it is more of a a front office type of hire.

Here is a pretty decent article making the case for the Suns to hire Gentry as Igor's "Lead Assistant" to help Igor and the Suns next season. He has a wealth of experience in this league and outside of being Kerr's assistant in Golden State he's had the most success here in Phoenix and knows the franchise, owner, and fan base quite well. Gentry has employed Igor as his assistant previously as well, which means there is a relationship there between them already. Having an experienced assistant coach would help Igor, especially someone like Gentry that he's worked with before and as someone with head coaching experience. Joe Prutny is the only assistant on Igor's staff with head coaching experience and that was as Milwaukee's interim last year.

It's a good read, it goes in some more detail but I like it and would support this move 100%.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/03...-the-phoenix-suns-should-hire-him-as-an-asst/

I'd rather just bring back Gentry as the Head Coach. He never should have been let go in the first place.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Just the opposite. He clearly believes (and I think rightfully so) that the only hope for the Suns to become a respectable franchise again and start winning again is to find front office and coaching personnel with enough knowledge to right the ship and enough wherewithal to stand up to Sarver and temper his worst instincts to interfere, which clearly have taken this franchise down.
Bingo! With experience in their job title, of course.
And the desire to embrace the whole job.

In Majerle's case, experience coaching young players,
especially in the come-and-go rosters of college ball.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bingo! With experience in their job title, of course.
And the desire to embrace the whole job.

In Majerle's case, experience coaching young players,
especially in the come-and-go rosters of college ball.

But Majerle can't even win in the WAC, despite having superior recruiting classes. Nice guy, but mediocre at best coach.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was always a big fan of Gentry. Should NOLA let him go, and if he is willing to be a Lead Assistant or and Associate Head Coach, and work for the Suns again after what they did to him the last time, I'd be all for it. I have a feeling he might be willing to take a little less stress and help his former two-time assistant if he gets paid well.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was always a big fan of Gentry. Should NOLA let him go, and if he is willing to be a Lead Assistant or and Associate Head Coach, and work for the Suns again after what they did to him the last time, I'd be all for it. I have a feeling he might be willing to take a little less stress and help his former two-time assistant if he gets paid well.
There we'd go again, with another dysfunctional arrangement. A Lead Assistant/Associate Head Coach whom we all think would be better than our current Head Coach, but as his subordinate.

Why do Suns fans settle for a mediocre arrangement? The only answer would be salaries, but Sarver and his crew have plenty of money to spend on an investment that has sky rocketed to over a billion dollars, calling out for a legitimate General Manager and strong Head Coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave