Suns 2019 GM/Front Office Search

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why in the world would anyone prefer Gentry being an assistant to Igor, rather than Gentry being the head coach?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do Suns fans settle for a mediocre arrangement? The only answer would be salaries, but Sarver and his crew have plenty of money to spend on an investment that has sky rocketed to over a billion dollars, calling out for a legitimate General Manager and strong Head Coach.

You don't attack the poster, you just call out "Suns fans" for thinking different than you do. You are a hypocritical dinosaur.

Simply because you feel Gentry should be the head coach instead of Igor doesn't mean everyone is in agreement with you. Quit trying to put words in other people's mouths. The idea of Gentry coming in as an assistant isn't a bad thing but you'll spin it that way because you refuse to believe Sarver can do anything right.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There we'd go again, with another dysfunctional arrangement. A Lead Assistant/Associate Head Coach whom we all think would be better than our current Head Coach, but as his subordinate.

Why do Suns fans settle for a mediocre arrangement? The only answer would be salaries, but Sarver and his crew have plenty of money to spend on an investment that has sky rocketed to over a billion dollars, calling out for a legitimate General Manager and strong Head Coach.
I think Majerle is settling for far less than mediocre.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Majerle is settling for far less than mediocre.

And yet he would be an improvement on Igor...so why is anyone even entertaining the idea of another season of Igor at the helm???

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You don't attack the poster, you just call out "Suns fans" for thinking different than you do. You are a hypocritical dinosaur.

Simply because you feel Gentry should be the head coach instead of Igor doesn't mean everyone is in agreement with you. Quit trying to put words in other people's mouths. The idea of Gentry coming in as an assistant isn't a bad thing but you'll spin it that way because you refuse to believe Sarver can do anything right.

It's sad that I know exactly who you are responding too even though I have the person on ignore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bingo! With experience in their job title, of course.
And the desire to embrace the whole job.

In Majerle's case, experience coaching young players,
especially in the come-and-go rosters of college ball.
Yeah I call bs. Like I said if it was a non-name mid major head coach you’d be ranting and raving “cheap no head coaching experience at the nba level!!!”

What I’ve learned, when most people abandon their go-to argument it’s becasue the facts don’t fit their narrative. BC, with all due respect you’ve been consistent with POUNDING the “experience” argument and with POUNDING the “Sarver hires cheap inexperienced guys” argument. And calling for majerle is changing your stripes just because you think he’ll stand up to Sarver (which, btw, I don’t think we have even slightest evidence would be the case).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah I call bs. Like I said if it was a non-name mid major head coach you’d be ranting and raving “cheap no head coaching experience at the nba level!!!”

What I’ve learned, when most people abandon their go-to argument it’s becasue the facts don’t fit their narrative. BC, with all due respect you’ve been consistent with POUNDING the “experience” argument and with POUNDING the “Sarver hires cheap inexperienced guys” argument. And calling for majerle is changing your stripes just because you think he’ll stand up to Sarver (which, btw, I don’t think we have even slightest evidence would be the case).

Look at this way, Ouchie. Under reasonable circumstances, I would not be advocating Majerle (with no NBA Head Coaching experience). Just as when I suggested tongue-in-cheek to consider Barkley for Chief of Basketball Operations because he has the cojones to stand up to Sarver. Or suggested, also tongue-in cheek, that the Ball's come over from L.A. (as much as I'd hate to see that), because the histrionics that would go on between Daddy Ball and Sarver could bring the problem of the ineptitude of our management to a head.

But under Sarver, we have to think in terms of least-worst. And I'd take Majerle with this young team (and his GCU experience) over another season of Igor, who is just not fit to coach young players. Contrary to your opinion, I think that Thunder Dan is just enough of a loose cannon to not give in to Sarver's meddling. He would either get in his face, or he'd smile, say, "Yes, Sir.", then do what he thinks is best anyway. I've met Dan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As I've had to post a few times now, to posters who respond with generalizations, I consider the specifics of each situation. I did it in management and I do it here. Robert Sarver has shown that he is not going to pay an experienced NBA Head Coach.

So, let's go easy on terms like "bs", "abandon", "go-to argument" and "changing stripes". Name-calling isn't going to accomplish a thing for the Suns. There is no "due respect" there. :(

We are all frustrated with the Suns performance over the past decade and the lack of progress even after a good draft. Thinking outside the box in this case makes sense. Are you really not that flexible? I'm serious. Why is Majerle's college coaching experience not better than Igor's lack of experience with this especially young team? A college coach works with young players whose rosters by definition constantly turn over.

BTW, please re-read your post. You've accused me of what you say I'd be "ranting and raving". (Easy, big fella). But then you criticize me for taking a different approach. Which is it? I am consistent in the bases of my opinions. But I think outside the box when necessary. Why does that bother you? And why are you intolerant of people with an opinion other than yours? C'mon. You know better than that!

I try to not take it personally, because I know you are venting. Again my question. Why is Majerle's experience in coaching young players not better than Igor's lack of experience with this especially immature team? Knowing that Sarver and his cohorts will not spend more than pennies out of their trillions for experienced leadership?

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I try to not take it personally, because I know you are venting and reacting emotionally. Again my question. Why is Majerle's experience in coaching young players not better than Igor's lack of experience with this especially immature team? Knowing that Sarver and his cohorts will not spend more than pennies out of their trillions?

Because Marjerle hasn't developed any good players and hasn't taken his team anywhere despite playing in a really lousy league. If you want someone with "experience coaching young players" as a candidate, there are probably 200 guys with better resumes than Majerle.

Yes, the Lopes are a new-ish program, however, I am pretty sure their basketball program's budget is crushing most of their direct competition.

Majerle hasn't even made a case to get offered a job at a larger school, hell, he's probably another mediocre season from being on the hot seat.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Because Marjerle hasn't developed any good players and hasn't taken his team anywhere despite playing in a really lousy league. If you want someone with "experience coaching young players" as a candidate, there are probably 200 guys with better resumes than Majerle.

Yes, the Lopes are a new-ish program, however, I am pretty sure their basketball program's budget is crushing most of their direct competition.

Majerle hasn't even made a case to get offered a job at a larger school, hell, he's probably another mediocre season from being on the hot seat.

You're criticizing Majerle for not looking to leave his school? I wouldn't be surprised if he is being mentored by Jerry Colangelo in that regard, who is actively involved in GCU. And it is a sectarian institution, which adds another dimension to the equation.

Why did I put forward Majerle's name? As I said, because I've met Dan, and I know he is a free thinker and that should be a factor after so many of Sarver's turnovers of weak GM's and Head Coaches.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season. Will it be another one with Igor? Or will he be replaced? And, if so, with another "yes" man? And the same with GM.

Contrary to my usual nature, it is time to rock the boat. The same thing over and over and over and over and over and over -- well, look at the results.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is Igor inexperienced at coaching young players? Had he been asst coaching veterans for 17 years? I can’t imagine the entire Georgian and Slovenian national teams were all over 30. And BC wants Majerle because he thinks he has MORE experience?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're criticizing Majerle for not looking to leave his school? I wouldn't be surprised if he is being mentored by Jerry Colangelo in that regard, who is actively involved in GCU. And it is a sectarian institution, which adds another dimension to the equation.

Why did I put forward Majerle's name? As I said, because I've met Dan, and I know he is a free thinker and that should be a factor after so many of Sarver's turnovers of weak GM's and Head Coaches.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season. Will it be another one with Igor? Or will he be replaced? And, if so, with another "yes" man? And the same with GM.

Contrary to my usual nature, it is time to rock the boat. The same thing over and over and over and over and over and over -- well, look at the results.

I don't think Majerle could find a job at another school if he wanted to.

I know some people in GCU's athletic department and, while they like Dan, he isn't viewed as a great mind or a serious person. He's on the prowl trying to catch tail far more than he studies tape.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How is Igor inexperienced at coaching young players? Had he been asst coaching veterans for 17 years? I can’t imagine the entire Georgian and Slovenian national teams were all over 30. And BC wants Majerle because he thinks he has MORE experience?

Chap, you've answered your own question. He's been assistant coaching. The grind of an NBA roster and season in the U.S. is different than Georgian and Slovenian national teams.

Stepping up to be an NBA Head Coach requires a whole lot of other skills which, unfortunately, Igor has not shown in his demeanor as the guy calling the shots.

I suggested Dan be considered because he has Head Coaching experience AND working with very young players like the Suns have. Most of the team is not near age 30 that you mentioned.

I am not saying that Majerle is the best candidate. But I am saying that I consider him to be a better candidate than another season of Igor. As a starting point.

I want Majerle? That is not true! I've witnessed him chasing tail pre-game on the court. But I would include him in the recruiting process. First you assemble your candidates, then you get down to the best one.

Didn't the Suns recently fill an important position without recruiting for it? I'm telling you. Robert Sarver, from a management perspective, is not only cheap, he is lazy! He takes shortcuts.

I've had to interface with that type. The results are usually not good. Just like now!

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't the Suns recently fill an important position without recruiting for it? I'm telling you. Robert Sarver, from a management perspective, is not only cheap, he is lazy! He takes shortcuts.

I've had to interface with that type. The results are usually not good. Just like now!

I cannot imagine a lazier hire than Majerle. Woefully under-qualified and wouldn't be even considered for a job with any other team or even a higher notch in the NCAAs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, you've answered your own question. He's been assistant coaching. The grind of an NBA roster and season in the U.S. is different than Georgian and Slovenian national teams.

Stepping up to be an NBA Head Coach requires a whole lot of other skills which, unfortunately, Igor has not shown in his demeanor as the guy calling the shots.

I suggested Dan be considered because he has Head Coaching experience AND working with very young players like the Suns have. Most of the team is not near age 30 that you mentioned.

I am not saying that Majerle is the best candidate. But I am saying that I consider him to be a better candidate than another season of Igor. As a starting point.

I want Majerle? That is not true! I've witnessed him chasing tail pre-game on the court. But I would include him in the recruiting process. First you assemble your candidates, then you get down to the best one.

What are you talking about? Igor DOES have head coaching experience. He was the Georgian national team coach for 7 years and Slovenia's for 2. He has been assistant to Larry Brown, Alvin Gentry and Quin Snyder.

Majerle? He was an assistant with us for 5 years and has been head coach of a lower-tier NCAA program for 6 years.

Any sane person would see that Igor is infinitely more qualified than Dan Majerle.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Igor DOES have head coaching experience. He was the Georgian national team coach for 7 years and Slovenia's for 2. He has been assistant to Larry Brown, Alvin Gentry and Quin Snyder.

Majerle? He was an assistant with us for 5 years and has been head coach of a lower-tier NCAA program for 6 years.

Any sane person would see that Igor is infinitely more qualified than Dan Majerle.

GCU is closer to NBA ball than Georgia or Slovenia. That being said, I don't want Majerle, either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. Igor has more coaching experience than Dan Majerle. And Majerle's head coaching experience in a start up role at a fledgling mid-major college does not stack up against Igor's head coaching experience on international teams. To say that Majerle is more experience than Igor seems really silly. Now if you just don't think Igor is a good, coach, well then just say so. But its not about experience.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes. Igor has more coaching experience than Dan Majerle. And Majerle's head coaching experience in a start up role at a fledgling mid-major college does not stack up against Igor's head coaching experience on international teams. To say that Majerle is more experience than Igor seems really silly. Now if you just don't think Igor is a good, coach, well then just say so. But its not about experience.

Actually, Majerle has more head coaching experience of an American style basketball team than Igor has (Igor's only experience being this disastrous season and being the de facto head coach during the even more disastrous Lindsey Hunter era here), but it is still woefully inadequate (just as Igor's was/is).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson