Sun Devils: New Uniforms, etc.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Coaching is what matters. And frankly when I look across the sidelines when we play our rivals in the two majors, I am in not exactly quaking in my boots.

Understandably so, one step at a time I guess. Probably how I feel when I see Bob Stoops on the other sideline...:D

OP
OP
chickenhead

chickenhead

Reaction score
I loved the old uniforms, and I love the gold. If you go to the helmet project website, look through all of college football's top division, you find one other team that with a current similarly colored helmet: LSU.

If you look for the metallic gold, you get: Akron, Army, Baylor, Boston College, Colorado, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Idaho, Navy, Notre Dame, Pitt, Purdue, Tulsa, UAB, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Western Michigan. South Florida is still in the mix, too.

And even LSU's student section is pretty divided between purple and gold.
When I was a kid the ASU crowd was pretty divided between maroon and gold, but with the gold student section they stumbled on something pretty unique in college football. The blackout? Not unique.

Anyway, if ASU wins, maybe I grow to like the new ones more. But for now, if we're talking winning, I love these.

You must be registered for see images

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I loved the old uniforms, and I love the gold. If you go to the helmet project website, look through all of college football's top division, you find one other team that with a current similarly colored helmet: LSU.

If you look for the metallic gold, you get: Akron, Army, Baylor, Boston College, Colorado, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Idaho, Navy, Notre Dame, Pitt, Purdue, Tulsa, UAB, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Western Michigan. South Florida is still in the mix, too.

And even LSU's student section is pretty divided between purple and gold.
When I was a kid the ASU crowd was pretty divided between maroon and gold, but with the gold student section they stumbled on something pretty unique in college football. The blackout? Not unique.

Anyway, if ASU wins, maybe I grow to like the new ones more. But for now, if we're talking winning, I love these.

My point about the blackout for the one game it's being planned for is that students are once again excited to go out to the game. I'm not saying that it will permanently replace the gold, nor should it. But the black is generating some excitement and that will hopefully improve the experience in the student section (of course we have to win to keep the excitement).

I remember trying to sell season tickets last year, and even with the great discount, it was impossible. Now, there's a little more of a buzz around campus and I'm hoping that some of the stuff I'm helping with will do the same going into the season.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the new uni's okay, though I prefer Sparky. I love the flat black helmet, hate the phrase "fear the fork." Sounds like a diet slogan.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Also, I recognize the fact the new uniforms won't affect recruiting without wins, but here's an example of what I'm talking about when I say black is in:
http://arizonastate.scout.com/2/1064096.html

Uh that link basically proves the opposite point. The kid says he thinks the black uni's are cool but wouldn't go to a school based on the uni's.

Alabama, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, etc. all do fine with traditional uniforms. Flashy uniforms really don't matter, tradition, location, winning, coaches, etc. those things matter. Even schools that aren't traditional super powers like Auburn, Iowa, Kansas, Mizzou, etc. have all done well in recent years with more traditional looking uniforms.

This was change for change sake. The hope was to sell a little more merch and rile up a bored fan base, maybe that'll happen but its yet to be seen. If ASU goes bowless and misses the all post season play in basketball again this won't even matter. The school trying to sell this as being some giant help in recruiting is ridiculous.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alabama's unis are hardly traditional. The alumni had a cow when they put names on the back in the 80s the year after Bear died. Nike's made some major modifications to their unis the last 30 years.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Uh that link basically proves the opposite point. The kid says he thinks the black uni's are cool but wouldn't go to a school based on the uni's.

Alabama, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, etc. all do fine with traditional uniforms. Flashy uniforms really don't matter, tradition, location, winning, coaches, etc. those things matter. Even schools that aren't traditional super powers like Auburn, Iowa, Kansas, Mizzou, etc. have all done well in recent years with more traditional looking uniforms.

This was change for change sake. The hope was to sell a little more merch and rile up a bored fan base, maybe that'll happen but its yet to be seen. If ASU goes bowless and misses the all post season play in basketball again this won't even matter. The school trying to sell this as being some giant help in recruiting is ridiculous.

My point is that black unis ARE "in." And it has created some excitement around campus. I agree with you that it's all temporary and only winning matters. I've said that a couple times...I think this was done at exactly the right time to build up towards the season, because I believe we have a good team going into this year. We'll see what happens...it's unfortunate Bolden will miss at least the most difficult part of our schedule.

I guess I'm used to Lisa Love feeding us crap so maybe I missed her saying that this small change will make a huge difference in recruiting. I was disappointed because of all the rumors that were going around. Expected more....

HooverDam

Reaction score
Alabama's unis are hardly traditional. The alumni had a cow when they put names on the back in the 80s the year after Bear died. Nike's made some major modifications to their unis the last 30 years.

Yah these are craaaaaazzzzzy non traditional:

While Nike has made changes here and there to 'Bama's uni's, they're still largely traditional in their style.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Unis are a huge upgrade. They'll continue to roll out more alternatives in the next couple years, including a set that has some camouflage to honor Tillman & the armed forces.

Obviously unis don't substitute for winning (not sure why every Euuuu of Ehhhh fan thinks we feel otherwise). However the additional revenue generated will help us pay for better coaches which will translate to more wins (hopefully). Also whether or not people get it, uniforms do create an initial buzz and attitude change. Kids won't go to ASU because of the unis, but they do help when a kid is on the fence believe it or not.

I was just disappointed that they didn't unveil the University Tax District Plan at the same time. New SDS, baseball stadium, olympic sports complex replacing Karsten will have a significant impact on the athletic program.

OP
OP
chickenhead

chickenhead

Reaction score
Since Oregon unveiled its new logo at the Aloha Bowl in 1998:

# of BCS titles won by Oregon: 0
# of BCS titles won by Tennessee in their creamsicle orange: 1
# of BCS titles won by Texas in burnt orange: 1
# of BCS titles won by LSU in their yellow helmets (and purple): 2
# of BCS titles won by Alabama with only two colors: 1
# of BCS titles won by Oklahoma with only two colors: 1
# of BCS titles won by Ohio State in traditional scheme: 1
# of BCS titles won by USC in traditional scheme: 1
# of BCS titles won by Florida with cartoon gator: 2

And so on with Miami and Florida State.

Anyway, I suppose all of these programs have more illustrious histories than ASU, so you can argue that it's easier for them to keep their traditional look and still recruit. But it becomes a chicken-and-egg argument. And to credit Oregon: they HAVE won 4 conference titles during the above time frame.

I guess my worry is that if ASU doesn't improve, they've sacrificed tradtion for nothing.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I was just disappointed that they didn't unveil the University Tax District Plan at the same time. New SDS, baseball stadium, olympic sports complex replacing Karsten will have a significant impact on the athletic program.

Agreed that was the thing I was really excited for, not the Nike-fication of the uni's. That potential plan could have an actual monetary and positive effect on the University, the Athletic department, Tempe and potentially the Valley and State as a whole (Pan Am Games).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah these are craaaaaazzzzzy non traditional:

While Nike has made changes here and there to 'Bama's uni's, they're still largely traditional in their style.

That is actually an entirely different color of red than the old uniforms. And the helmet has been changed 12 times that I know of. They used have all-white helmets, no piping.

You laugh, but the name thing almost put Bryant in the grave two years early.

HooverDam

Reaction score
That is actually an entirely different color of red than the old uniforms. And the helmet has been changed 12 times that I know of. They used have all-white helmets, no piping.

You laugh, but the name thing almost put Bryant in the grave two years early.

I think I'm not making myself clear: those uni's might be different than what was the original/traditional uniforms at 'Bama but they're still a traditional style uniform. Make sense? Perhaps I should've used words like simple, clean, or understated instead of traditional.

OP
OP
chickenhead

chickenhead

Reaction score
From the Helmet Project (seriously, my favorite website ever) on Alabama:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/sec.htm

"Alabama has one of the smallest sets of different historical helmet designs for the period covered by this web site (1960 to present), and the team's current helmet design may qualify as the "oldest helmet design still in use" (at least among the Division I teams), though Notre Dame's current design would surpass it as the "oldest continuously-used helmet design" (since Alabama used different helmet designs in 1969 and has used white helmets during some games). The style of numerals worn on the helmets was somewhat different during the early 1960s."

One reason is that they don't have a helmet logo, and the subtle tweaks to the logo account for many teams' different versions.