Sun Devils: New Uniforms, etc.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
I could not disagree with you guys that don't like the black jerseys any more. The jersey's look great, the numbers on them really popped and stood out on TV and the helmets looked great.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Apparently ASU is going all white/Storm Trooper for the Illinois game. Looks like they're going to try to show off every permutation possible. They may not wear the same uni set twice this year.

Early prediction, they go all maroon for the UA game. Sorta like so:

You must be registered for see images

but with maroon helmets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chickenhead

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm not originally from Arizona, and I can honestly tell you this is a legend in the minds of ASU fans only. Talk with 95% of college football fans and they think of ASU as a second rate program. Sports are VERY much a "what have you done for me lately" and lately ASU has been terrible.

I attended ASU until I joined the Army, but I can tell you in no uncertain terms that there has been very little to be excited about. ASU's logos, unis, etc. don't hold the same weight as the Crimson Tide, the Longhorns, or even teams like the Georgia Bulldogs. So why keep them? They don't give any edge and no one outside of the ASU sphere gives a crap about the "tradition".

I know I talk for "younger" people, but a massive rebranding is a breath of fresh air and I'm more excited about ASU's future now. It looks like ASU is looking to change some of the systemic problems the sports programs have....now for fixing that supposed tradition that doesn't include any thing of significance, such as being a consistent PAC-12 champion or winning National Titles.

I never said that ASU's tradition was the equal to Alabama or Texas, and really, what fans of other programs think isn't my concern. I care about ASU, and to answer the question of "why keep them?" I can only speak for myself. I grew up seeing old pictures of John Jefferson and Danny White, I went to most home games in the mid 80s to mid 90s, and I still generally go to games when I'm back for Thanksgiving. As a longtime fan it means something to me to pull into the parking lot to tailgate and seeing everyone in maroon and gold.

I've been to football, basketball, and baseball games recently, and I've bought shirts and hats recently. But I don't plan on buying any of the new stuff because I think it's gimmicky and I don't think it will last. If the current students love it, that's cool--it's their time and their school. But I thought the old uniforms were really unique. When you turned on the TV there was no doubt who was playing. When I glanced at the screen against Mizzou last weekend, I had to take a second look.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another one added to the pile for 2012.

I enjoy having an alternate or retro helmet to pull out every once in a while, but when even teams like Wyoming have a million different combinations you know the trend is worn out.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Another one added to the pile for 2012.

I enjoy having an alternate or retro helmet to pull out every once in a while, but when even teams like Wyoming have a million different combinations you know the trend is worn out.

silver.....? Why? I mean I get copper, don't like it, but I get it. But silver? We're not Nevada.

Plus I associate silver w/ UAs marching band, they always have silver as an accent color and they use silver instruments.

I'm glad Graham is all about tradition, bringing in former players, bringing back Camp T, but I really wish he had the power to bring back these:

They're the best uni's ASU ever wore. Sure the pants & helmets were slightly off, but I imagine that could be fixed. On ASU's new uni's the gold is too light and the maroon is all wrong, we look like Minnesota.

Those Rudy Carpenter era uni's were slick. The line weight on the helmet, uniform trim and pants all was cohesive. The numbers and lettering was easy to read. They looked classic but also with the times.

Ah well, now I cheer for a football team with a rocket ship salad fork on its helmet.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I liked the old ASU unis a lot (though I am pretty alone in that among UA fans). The new ones are disgustingly ugly.

Well, at least you still have a unique nickname, unlike UA, which shares its with at least 154 other universities.

Last edited: