Summer League 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It strikes me than Igor is going to be better communicating with players which the Suns haven't had since the D'Antoni and Gentry era. Also I think Igor will bring a European flavor to coaching which may help with players like Bender and Okobo. IMO, one of the big things with Bender is learning to relax and play within the flow of the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It strikes me than Igor is going to be better communicating with players which the Suns haven't had since the D'Antoni and Gentry era. Also I think Igor will bring a European flavor to coaching which may help with players like Bender and Okobo. IMO, one of the big things with Bender is learning to relax and play within the flow of the game.

I always got the sense Watson was trying to be one of the guys rather than a teacher. Triano was a substitute teacher though, someone who tried teaching players but ultimately everyone knew what his position was and didn't take things too seriously. I hope Igor can actually command respect from our roster as the head coach and he's looked at as a teacher and authority figure by these young guys. We'll see what happens but I have more hope Igor gets through to our guys and teaches them than I've had in quite a while.

With Hornacek, I think he was miscast completely. He might be successful if he had a roster ready to compete but he's not the guy who should be tasked with developing a young team. We saw that fail here and in New York.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always got the sense Watson was trying to be one of the guys rather than a teacher. Triano was a substitute teacher though, someone who tried teaching players but ultimately everyone knew what his position was and didn't take things too seriously. I hope Igor can actually command respect from our roster as the head coach and he's looked at as a teacher and authority figure by these young guys. We'll see what happens but I have more hope Igor gets through to our guys and teaches them than I've had in quite a while.

With Hornacek, I think he was miscast completely. He might be successful if he had a roster ready to compete but he's not the guy who should be tasked with developing a young team. We saw that fail here and in New York.

The Suns haven't been the best coached team in recent years, but then again, the Suns haven't had much talent. I think Igor will be fine because he has put a wealth of experience around him and he will teach a system involving multiple options. The Suns offense has really been stagnant in past years. From what I can tell, players like his coaching ability and his ability to communicate. Hopefully this will spell success.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns haven't been the best coached team in recent years, but then again, the Suns haven't had much talent. I think Igor will be fine because he has put a wealth of experience around him and he will teach a system involving multiple options. The Suns offense has really been stagnant in past years. From what I can tell, players like his coaching ability and his ability to communicate. Hopefully this will spell success.

That's the truth. Talent has been missing for a while. I remember everyone thought Hornacek's first year would be a disaster because we had a lot of castoffs like Gerald Green, Ish Smith, Channing Frye, etc but almost all of the rotation players from that team are still in the league. We had talent but they weren't exactly star players. Since that first year they've downgraded quite a bit. Adding true fringe roster talent that flamed out more often than not. Guys like Goodwin, Bullock, John Jenkins, and Chase Budinger. They came here and then were out of the league. The only decent non-rookie acquisition we've had in years was Troy Daniels. I can see why people were down on that now looking at all of the wings who flamed out. It's like we were hoping to find an undervalued star in the making but instead we found nothing, literally. At least our current roster seems to be close to 2 deep at every position and they're NBA players. The only position we don't have taken care of is PF. We have 0 proven NBA players who can play there right now. I know Chriss and Bender might show something but we really need to add someone to help out there.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Horny is really old school and he does not have much patience. He get's frustrated with players quickly.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like the Suns added Emmett Naar, a 23 year old Australian point guard from St. Mary's. Naar was second in the NCAA last year in assists per game, and he shoots efficiently, though he only averaged 9.5 ppg. Seems like a good Summer League guy who will put others in a position to succeed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOVE THIS.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I thought Igor would be heavily involved in the summer Suns and working with the players. I'm anxious to see the Suns passing the ball and exploring options on offense. Too often the Suns stagnated when their primary option broke down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the truth. Talent has been missing for a while. I remember everyone thought Hornacek's first year would be a disaster because we had a lot of castoffs like Gerald Green, Ish Smith, Channing Frye, etc but almost all of the rotation players from that team are still in the league. We had talent but they weren't exactly star players. Since that first year they've downgraded quite a bit. Adding true fringe roster talent that flamed out more often than not. Guys like Goodie, Bullock, John Jenkins, and Chase Budinger. They came here and then were out of the league. The only decent non-rookie acquisition we've had in years was Troy Daniels. I can see why people were down on that now looking at all of the wings who flamed out. It's like we were hoping to find an undervalued star in the making but instead we found nothing, literally. At least our current roster seems to be close to 2 deep at every position and they're NBA players. The only position we don't have taken care of is PF. We have 0 proven NBA players who can play there right now. I know Chriss and Bender might show something but we really need to add someone to help out there.

I'm so anxious to see how the Suns use Bender and Chriss (or not) going forward. If the Suns are looking for a stretch 4, Bender and Bridges might fill that role. Troy Daniels was a nice player the Suns obtained mostly by having salary space. Hopefully there are some more players out there that can be had reasonably.

Another thing, I don't think McDonough is out there trying to add talent based upon his perception alone. I'm sure Igor is telling McDonough what he needs much like D'Antoni did when he came to the Suns.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I love summer league and always have but im a basketball junkie. My eyes will be on Chriss again this year I expect him to flat out dominate but if he comes out like last year then just cut him.

how many summers are they allowed to play? I hope he figures it out but his body language is absolutely terrible.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns summer league team IS 4/5 of their regular season rotation. Makes since that the regular season coach would do the job.

Have the rosters been announced? I really doubt any 3 year players play

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how many summers are they allowed to play? I hope he figures it out but his body language is absolutely terrible.

I think they can play however long they want but are only expected to participate throughout their first 2 years, which could be 3 SL teams. 1st is right after they're drafted, 2nd after their rookie season, and 3rd time is after their 2nd seasons. Generally players in Bender and Chriss' situation only play a 3rd time if they still haven't developed much and even then they don't stick around too long. I wouldn't expect to see Jackson to go next year or be around for the duration this year. He'll probably leave when Bender and Chriss do.

I think it's mainly for players entering the league though. 2nd rounders and players that aren't on guaranteed deals or haven't had their options picked up attend though because their attitude in going says a lot to their teams. If they refuse when asked that can definitely work against them. Since 1st round picks have their 3rd and 4th year's as separate options, that helps teams get them to attend beyond their rookie year. It's somewhat voluntary for them though. I think Booker could even go if he wanted to but he gains nothing from it and only risks injury.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All I want to see is Okobo bring it up and pass down low to ayton. ayton with the pass back out to Bridges for the three.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Makes even more sense for guys like Jackson and even Bender and Chriss to play and gain familiarity with the new HC and his system and style.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Makes sense. I like him, but there isn't much room on the end of the roster this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Makes even more sense for guys like Jackson and even Bender and Chriss to play and gain familiarity with the new HC and his system and style.
Glad to see this. This is Igor’s MO. He works harder than anyone else on the team, and they all know it. It leadership and a work ethic and it eventually permeates the entire organization.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Makes sense. I like him, but there isn't much room on the end of the roster this year.

I think House has a real chance to make an NBA roster. As you said, the Suns will likely not have room on their roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I liked House. The signing was underwhelming at the time last season but he played well. I'm a little surprised he signed with the Rockets SL team. I think he could probably get picked up by the Hornets, where Triano is, if he doesn't make their team. He seemed to be a favorite of Triano. He was used more than Reed or Harrison on the wings. He has a good 3pt shot also.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
House averaged 14.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg, and 3.5 apg in the final 4 games headed into the season finale against Dallas. I knew he played well for us at the end but I didn't think it was that well. Maybe he'll catch on in Houston.

He tweeted a response to someone trash talking him on Twitter and I saw those stats posted by the Suns account plugging the finale game. Didn't look them up myself but I'd thought I'd share since they were in front of me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some news on the Suns summer league roster.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good article here on the Summer Suns: https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...mmer-suns-says-no-chance-brandon-knight-plays

Looks like almost everyone could be playing. Of course, that can change in an instant, especially with Ulis and Reed. But if this plays out, the team is stacked!

Okobo Ulis Harrison
Reed King Naar
Jackson Bridges Hollis-Jefferson
Bender Chriss Peters
Ayton TBD

That's eleven guys with a legitimate chance to make the actual roster, at least two starters on the opening day team, and six roster locks (if not traded) in Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, Okobo, Bender, and Chriss.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good article here on the Summer Suns: https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...mmer-suns-says-no-chance-brandon-knight-plays

Looks like almost everyone could be playing. Of course, that can change in an instant, especially with Ulis and Reed. But if this plays out, the team is stacked!

Okobo Ulis Harrison
Reed King Naar
Jackson Bridges Hollis-Jefferson
Bender Chriss Peters
Ayton TBD

That's eleven guys with a legitimate chance to make the actual roster, at least two starters on the opening day team, and six roster locks (if not traded) in Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, Okobo, Bender, and Chriss.

It's a very nice article. I'm thrilled Chriss and Bender will be playing and that King has agree to a two-way contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard