Summer League 2018

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow. Igor coaching. Ayton, Jackson, Chriss, Bender, Ulis, King, Okobo, Reed, Shaq.

Going to be an interesting league.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
wow. Igor coaching. Ayton, Jackson, Chriss, Bender, Ulis, King, Okobo, Reed, Shaq.

Also Knight and Booker are expected to participate in the practices (both missed at least 25 games last year and are eligible for SL activities, but will not play in games).

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
We should have the most talented summer league team (Ayton, Bridges, JJ, Bender, Chriss, Okobo, et al.) - for whatever that's worth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should have the most talented summer league team (Ayton, Bridges, JJ, Bender, Chriss, Okobo, et al.) - for whatever that's worth.

I think it's worth an extra game to determine the summer league championship... hopefully televised.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think it's worth an extra game to determine the summer league championship... hopefully televised.
I don't suspect they will all play every game. Especially considering the back to back to back type scenarios you run in to with SL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't suspect they will all play every game. Especially considering the back to back to back type scenarios you run in to with SL.

I agree. Also they will want to look at particular players from game to game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with regarding SL is they need to finish strong with so many sure things on the roster. Maybe a SL title is asking too much but they need a winning record with all of the NBA players on that team.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with regarding SL is they need to finish strong with so many sure things on the roster. Maybe a SL is asking too much but they need a winning record with all of the NBA players on that team.

Sure but if someone trots out a mature team, even if it's mostly from the G League, we'd likely fall short of winning it all.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Are the suns tanking summer league?
They likely all play the first three games, but once you are in the playoffs you start playing a game every day until you lose. That could be as many as 4 games in as many days.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

So basically our summer league team is gonna have all the players who project to actually be on the roster itself.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's both exciting and depressing that nearly our whole roster will be on the summer league team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I love it. Igor will get a good look at Okobo, which could prevent us from having to bring in another PG, saving a roster spot. I'm pulling for Harrison to play his best as I really want him to be our backup PG - a key spot for a strong defender and he's 6'4, too! Don't care much about winning - I'd be surprised if they played Ayton heavy minutes. First look at Mikal is exciting, and I am intrigued by King as well. I like sturdy players...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. No Chriss on the roster. We know he didn't want to be on the team last year. Interesting.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hmm. No Chriss on the roster. We know he didn't want to be on the team last year. Interesting.

The fact that Bender IS on the team could be a telling sign which way the organization is leaning as well

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It could mean a trade is in the works. Maybe wishful thinking though.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chriss not playing would be explained by:

A) Chriss doesn't want to play in the Summer League.
B) The Suns don't have Chriss in their future plans and are looking to move on from him.
or C) The Suns feel comfortable with his experience and want him to focus on other ways of developing.

It could be any of those things (or something I haven't considered), but it certainly doesn't seem promising for his future with the Suns, particularly because Bender is playing.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Check out this Summer League top 10 rotation:

Okobo Harrison
Bridges Reed
Jackson King
Bender Peters
Ayton Cooley

That second string lineup is pretty solid, and the starters are (hopefully) going to be a lot of fun to watch!