Summer League 2018

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't know who we'll send but I'd be fine with including Chriss, Bender, Ulis, Shaq, Reed, Peters and any draft pick not selected at number one. Especially if number one is a true big man as they gain very little from summer league IMO.
Third year players only play if they really want to. I'm pretty sure the team can't tell them to play in it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss NEEDS to play in the summer. The Suns should make him in my opinion

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss NEEDS to play in the summer. The Suns should make him in my opinion

With the style of play in the Summer league I think it could do more harm than good. It's sloppy basketball filled with non-stop fouling and selfish play. It's basically exactly what we're trying to steer him away from.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I didn't like that his reasoning was "they know how to market entertainers"

Your top priority is basketball not entertaining.
I think there’s a quote of him saying something along the lines of “I’m an entertainer first, basketball player second” or something of that nature.

It’s not a huge issue because iirc Shaq and even Dwight Howard had very similar personalities and both carved out hall of fame careers.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Third year players only play if they really want to. I'm pretty sure the team can't tell them to play in it.
If Kokoskov is the one coaching the SL league (like Hornacek did his first season) then it would do players in the rotation good to familiarize themselves with him in a game setting before the season even starts.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Kokoskov is the one coaching the SL league (like Hornacek did his first season) then it would do players in the rotation good to familiarize themselves with him in a game setting before the season even starts.

I agree with that but there's no indication he will be. IIRC Hornacek made it known early that he was coaching the SL team. I'd be surprised if Kokoskov decides to do the same thing. Unlike Hornacek he has a lot more time served on NBA benches so he doesn't really need the experience running a SL team. It wouldn't surprise me if he's already done that since he's been an NBA assist coach for over 15 years already.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think there’s a quote of him saying something along the lines of “I’m an entertainer first, basketball player second” or something of that nature.

It’s not a huge issue because iirc Shaq and even Dwight Howard had very similar personalities and both carved out hall of fame careers.
He did say he's an "entertainer" but I don't remember any time he said he was a basketball player second.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think Kokoskov will be heavily involved with the summer league Suns even if he does not coach them. He will want to put his mark on the team.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently, Dusan Ristic is going to be on the Suns summer league team. Pretty funny given that he's generally been used as the scapegoat for Ayton's lack of defensive impact. I have to assume he's being brought in to back Ayton up, not to play with him. Otherwise, the Suns are crazy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, Dusan Ristic is going to be on the Suns summer league team. Pretty funny given that he's generally been used as the scapegoat for Ayton's lack of defensive impact. I have to assume he's being brought in to back Ayton up, not to play with him. Otherwise, the Suns are crazy.

I get a kick out of this as well. However, he will be looking to backup Ayton instead of making him play out of position. Some UA fans were not eactly thrilled I thought Ristic had a chance.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last years summer league team had some bad coaching to say the least. Your not a Suns fan if your not at least interested in what happens this summer.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One guy I'm excited to watch in Summer League is George King. I was reading the Ristic-Hlinason workout article and found this point:

Connelly said Hlinason “most likely” will be a second-round draft-and-stash player. The Suns have the No. 59 pick in the second round, and General Manager Ryan McDonough has said Phoenix likely will use the pick on a player it wants to keep overseas.

I think it's interesting that the Suns not only took an American prospect at 59, but took one who is already 24 years old. I think they may see King as a guy who can help sooner rather than later.

For Colorado, King was a featured player. I bet the Suns see some untapped potential in him as a guy who would be a fifth option in the NBA. In other words, he could now just focus on being a defensive stopper, rebounder, and 3 point shooter.

In the press conference, he repeated that he was going to focus on the things that he does best and do the things that got him here.

He's 6'6 with a 7 foot wingspan, looks like a linebacker out there, and hit 40% from 3 point range over four seasons at Colorado, the second best percentage ever at that school.

Any chance he becomes the next P.J. Tucker?

I'm loving the blocks in the second half of this video!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One guy I'm excited to watch in Summer League is George King. I was reading the Ristic-Hlinason workout article and found this point:

Connelly said Hlinason “most likely” will be a second-round draft-and-stash player. The Suns have the No. 59 pick in the second round, and General Manager Ryan McDonough has said Phoenix likely will use the pick on a player it wants to keep overseas.

I think it's interesting that the Suns not only took an American prospect at 59, but took one who is already 24 years old. I think they may see King as a guy who can help sooner rather than later.

For Colorado, King was a featured player. I bet the Suns see some untapped potential in him as a guy who would be a fifth option in the NBA. In other words, he could now just focus on being a defensive stopper, rebounder, and 3 point shooter.

In the press conference, he repeated that he was going to focus on the things that he does best and do the things that got him here.

He's 6'6 with a 7 foot wingspan, looks like a linebacker out there, and hit 40% from 3 point range over four seasons at Colorado, the second best percentage ever at that school.

Any chance he becomes the next P.J. Tucker?

I'm loving the blocks in the second half of this video!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think everyone is looking for the next Draymond Green. And I think it’s largely a fruitless search. He’s so good because he’s so unique.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think everyone is looking for the next Draymond Green. And I think it’s largely a fruitless search. He’s so good because he’s so unique.

Draymond Green? I was comparing him to P.J. Tucker...as a hope. Nobody's using the 59th pick thinking they got Draymond Green!

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Body type/skill set. And where do you think green was drafted? Yup, 2nd round.

Yeah...but Green was great at Michigan State. I remember being shocked he fell to the second round. Meanwhile, George King was literally the only player drafted this year that I hadn't heard of before he was picked. Guess I should have watched more PAC 12 basketball and followed the Portsmouth Invitational.

If he can be a poor man's P.J. Tucker, I'll be thrilled with the pick. If we're still discussing Draymond Green next year (at any level) in regard to King George, then this may be the best 59th pick in NBA history!(Apologies to D.J. Strawberry)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah...but Green was great at Michigan State. I remember being shocked he fell to the second round. Meanwhile, George King was literally the only player drafted this year that I hadn't heard of before he was picked. Guess I should have watched more PAC 12 basketball and followed the Portsmouth Invitational.

If he can be a poor man's P.J. Tucker, I'll be thrilled with the pick. If we're still discussing Draymond Green next year (at any level) in regard to King George, then this may be the best 59th pick in NBA history!(Apologies to D.J. Strawberry)
I just looked up greens MAU stats. I had forgotten how good he was in college. Wow did a lot of teams blow that one.

Yeah if you can get on tucker outta him it’s a big win. But truth be told I’m hoping all of our amassed young talent exceeds pj tucker.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you can find an actual rotation player, cut from any mold, in the 2nd round it's a big win.

The ONE good thing about the Summer league... you do get a glimpse who might have gotten some 2nd round steals.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the playoffs made me appreciate PJ Tucker more. He is all about effort.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see Bender in the summer league. Igor needs to tell him he wants him to take 20 shots per game if he wants to have a chance to start during the regular season. Then hope that he learns to be aggressive.

I know that's probably a little frustration talking but that might be a recipe for disaster. I'd just rather they teach him when to shoot and when not to. He only seems to know the when not to part right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard