Suggestions for our next coach?!?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
John Harbaugh as HC, Kliff Kingsbury as OC & Todd Bowles as DC? :shrug:
Nope. Makes more sense to just sign an OC as your head coach. Reason is that if you don't, and your OCs are any good at all, you will have constant turnover that the OC spot.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nope. Makes more sense to just sign an OC as your head coach. Reason is that if you don't, and your OCs are any good at all, you will have constant turnover that the OC spot.

Constant turnover would be great if the reason was that the coaches were good and had success, and not that they should be replaced because they didn’t deliver good results.

Just going back the last ten years or so you can find many successful teams without offensive minded head coaches, including the Minnesota Vikings, the Baltimore Ravens, the New York Giants, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Atlanta Falcons, the Denver Broncos, and the Carolina Panthers. By the way, all of those teams, except the Panthers, have lost an offensive coordinator to a head coaching job in that same period.

Further, the list of head coaches, who got their job after being successful offensive coordinators, yet were fired after one, two or three years at the most as head coaches includes Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers’ OC to Titans’ HC), Rob Chudzinski (Panthers’ OC to Browns’ HC), Mike McCoy (Broncos’ OC to Chargers’ HC), Jim Caldwell (Ravens’ OC to Lions HC), Ben McAdoo (from Giants’ OC to Giants’ HC), Mike Mularkey (Falcons’ OC to Jaguars’ HC), and Pat Shurmur (Rams’ OC to Browns’ HC), Chan Gailey).

It’s not that easy. Even if you hire a successful offensive coordinator, you can’t be sure that he will be a good head coach. At the same time, a team can easily continue to be successful if they lose a coordinator.

Reaction score

I think KK would need time to adjust to the NFL game. OC for a couple of years then HC. We can drop Harbaugh at that point & promote him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...mes-thinks-kingsbury-could-thrive-in-the-nfl/

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes told reporters on Wednesday. “I know if he did come to the NFL, he has the work ethic and he has the mind and he has the invovativeness — I guess you would say, if that’s even a word — to be in this league. Whatever he does, I know he will have success doing it.”

As more and more NFL coaches are embracing college concepts, it would make sense to have a guy like Kingsbury around.

“I am close with Coach Kingsbury,” Mahomes said. “He really helped my game and helped me as a person a lot. He is a genuine, good person and at the same time a very smart football coach. I know he will land back on his feet somewhere else and I am excited for the future with him.”

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Belicheck would make a good GM. Much of his success exists because he is such a STRONg part of the drafting process but then he is completely in charge of player usage. That means he must be able to hire a coach who can utilize the type of players he chooses properly and that becomes the likely unraveling of the decision to name him GM.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a plan and a job description before we play pin the tale on a head coaching prospect.

GM: Football Guy. Not Afraid to Crack the Whip. Draft and FA Whisper. Track Record of Great Decisions. On paper, Steve Keim fit the bill but (personal problems aside) lacked something. Hire someone like Steve only with whatever it was that Steve lacked.

HC: New GM should lead the search. New HC should be innovative and aggressive as a playcaller, think outside the box ala Chip Kelly, be "lucky" in his decisionmaking and stretch the envelope when it comes to setting standards and goals. Should be a "big picture" guy with an innovative approach to non-football aspects - like nutrition, rehab, film room work etc.

In closing - the abrupt manner in which the Cards plummeted this year suggests more bad stuff than meets the eye - i.e. The SK issue may have been just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps ownership and top management became legeends in their own minds. And I can't help but wonder why a perfectly good HC (Arians) resigns ("for health reasons") but admits he'd accept a HC post with the Browns). Something here isn't right, and I suspect the Cards won't turn things around until these more nuanced bigger picture issues are resolved

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Constant turnover would be great if the reason was that the coaches were good and had success, and not that they should be replaced because they didn’t deliver good results.

Just going back the last ten years or so you can find many successful teams without offensive minded head coaches, including the Minnesota Vikings, the Baltimore Ravens, the New York Giants, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Atlanta Falcons, the Denver Broncos, and the Carolina Panthers. By the way, all of those teams, except the Panthers, have lost an offensive coordinator to a head coaching job in that same period.

Further, the list of head coaches, who got their job after being successful offensive coordinators, yet were fired after one, two or three years at the most as head coaches includes Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers’ OC to Titans’ HC), Rob Chudzinski (Panthers’ OC to Browns’ HC), Mike McCoy (Broncos’ OC to Chargers’ HC), Jim Caldwell (Ravens’ OC to Lions HC), Ben McAdoo (from Giants’ OC to Giants’ HC), Mike Mularkey (Falcons’ OC to Jaguars’ HC), and Pat Shurmur (Rams’ OC to Browns’ HC), Chan Gailey).

It’s not that easy. Even if you hire a successful offensive coordinator, you can’t be sure that he will be a good head coach. At the same time, a team can easily continue to be successful if they lose a coordinator.
10 years is another era in professional football. Here is what I know.

The Vikings have underachieved in relation to their roster over the past 5 years. A big part of this is injuries/turnover at the QB position and OC turnover.

Baltimore Ravens have not been relevant in 5 years. This is mainly due to their offense not being very good. Multiple OC turnover.

New York Giants are in a tailspin. They are no longer an organization that you model yourself after.

Steelers had Haley for 6 years, and he was an OC who had been fired as a HC.

Falcons had a great year with Kyle Shanahan and have not been a rollercoaster since he left. He may be the example of my you just hire the offensive mind as your HC.

Broncos are not very good. I don't see how they factor in especially when they underachieved until they paired Gary Kubiak with Peyton Manning. Under Fox a defensive mind, they couldn't get over the hump.

Panthers have been a roller coaster on offense and most would same Cam has been very average outside of one season.

I have never stated that I think every OC is going to be a good HC, but if you think a guy will, you better lock him up as your HC and not play around with him as your OC. See the Redskins and Sean McVay. The area where Kingsbury has a bog advantage is that he has been a HC at some level. He has an understanding of how to build practice schedules and have a hand in multiple areas of an organization.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Going with a Kingsbury also means that you pursue a strong DC that isn't likely to be plucked - Nagy has Fangio, McVay has Wade, McCarthy finally got a better DC (too late most likely). Shame that we went the opposite route. But if we reboot after the season, I am happy with any innovative offensive mind coupled with Bowles :)

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually, I would also pursue Freddie Kitchens. I think he just 'gets it' and would be a great coach and would love to work for this team .

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually, I would also pursue Freddie Kitchens. I think he just 'gets it' and would be a great coach and would love to work for this team .

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I missed that letter, that is nice. Yup, he will be in the mix.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
10 years is another era in professional football. Here is what I know.

The Vikings have underachieved in relation to their roster over the past 5 years. A big part of this is injuries/turnover at the QB position and OC turnover.

Baltimore Ravens have not been relevant in 5 years. This is mainly due to their offense not being very good. Multiple OC turnover.

I’m sorry Chopper, but I don’t think I really understand your post?

It’s obviously fair not to go back ten years, but why five? Why not three, or seven or one? I mean, if you just go back three years, your points about the Vikings and the Ravens don’t really apply. Well, I guess it is subjective what we think it will say to be underachieving or irrelevant, so maybe it does apply anyway.

New York Giants are in a tailspin. They are no longer an organization that you model yourself after.

Steelers had Haley for 6 years, and he was an OC who had been fired as a HC.

Falcons had a great year with Kyle Shanahan and have not been a rollercoaster since he left. He may be the example of my you just hire the offensive mind as your HC.

Broncos are not very good. I don't see how they factor in especially when they underachieved until they paired Gary Kubiak with Peyton Manning. Under Fox a defensive mind, they couldn't get over the hump.

Panthers have been a roller coaster on offense and most would same Cam has been very average outside of one season.

I don’t think it’s right to simply dismiss the Giants because of what they have done derails a hiring strategy. You can’t simply base a strategy on successful examples and dismiss the times it has gone wrong, and neither do I think your strategy included a completely subjective analysis on what an organization is or isn’t. What about Adam Gase with the Dolphins? He was considered an up-and-coming hotshot offensive coordinator with the Broncos before. What about Hue Jackson who did well as an offensive coordinator with the Bengals? Eight years ago, the Cowboys did almost everything they could to do exactly what you are suggesting when they gave the young and perceived offensive mastermind Jason Garrett a huge extension to keep him from being a head coach elsewhere, and later they made him head coach of the Cowboys. It probably hasn’t been a fiasco, but I wouldn’t call two playoff berths in his time as a head coach a success either.

Neither do I understand why Todd Haley (or Ken Whisenhunt or Dirk Koetter or Mike McCoy or others) shouldn’t be taken into account just because they have been head coaches before they were successful coordinators. Either you are a coordinator, or you are not.

Kyle Shanahan is a combined 8-19 with the Niners. If he is the prime example of a successful hiring strategy, then I would think more than twice about following that strategy (sure you can point to an injury to a quarterback, but it’s not like it’s impossible or against the rules to still field a strong team. Also, who knows how Garoppolo would have played when opponents had more film on him and an entire offseason to prepare for him?) Don't get me wrong. I would like to have Shanahan as a head coach. I just don't see him as an example on why you should hire an offensive coordinator as your head coach.

Concerning Cam Newton, I don’t know who most are, but I am not one of them. You are obviously entitled to an opinion, but like I said above, too much subjectivism tends to lead to a misleading strategy. I’m sorry for sounding condescending, but as they said, “check your ego at the door”. They need to make the decision they feel is best for the team.

I have never stated that I think every OC is going to be a good HC, but if you think a guy will, you better lock him up as your HC and not play around with him as your OC. See the Redskins and Sean McVay. The area where Kingsbury has a bog advantage is that he has been a HC at some level. He has an understanding of how to build practice schedules and have a hand in multiple areas of an organization.

This I can understand, but I wouldn't think any team does not believe their newly hired head coach as well as his choice of offensive coordinator would be successful. Otherwise some personnel people have to take a very hard look in the mirror. It’s actually not that I disagree with your premise that you should try to keep your good offensive minds, but I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t go with your preferred choice as head coach no matter who the other candidates are? The Redskins have obviously been happy with Jay Gruden, so why replace him with Sean McVay just because you have the option? I assume the Saints are happy with offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, but why would they fire Sean Payton just to make Carmichael head coach if they are happy with Payton? I am sure the Patriots have been satisfied with Josh McDaniels, but they are probably happy with Belichick as well, so why promote McDaniels right now? Again, I’m not against the strategy. I just don’t understand why it would make more sense to make your offensive coordinator the head coach right away, if you (partly because of recent history) think another way is better.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's interesting when you think about Kitchens and our offense. He was here through multiple regimes, which means the top brass obviously saw something in him to keep him/suggest him when Arians was hired.

He also no doubt had the pulse of the offensive talent on this team and what they liked and could do. We didn't just lose Arians, we also lost him. Perhaps a double whammy to our offense.

Don't know if that means anything, but food for thought.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to the Dan Patrick show today.

Lincoln Riley was on. He said he is not interested in the NFL

Also he just signed a 5 year $25 million dollar contract in June

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
A few of the talking heads are saying Arians would be a good fit in Green Bay and his offense would fit Rodgers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard