Steve Patterson to Texas?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well I suppose its a good sign to have your AD hired away by a bigger program, instead of fired.

On the other hand, the Graham to Texas rumors are sure to heat up now. Patterson and Graham really seem to get along. If Graham wins the P-12 South this year, I'm sure we'll hear rumors.

Though I doubt Patterson fires/pushes out Mack Brown right away after all his success. Perhaps Brown will get 1 more year then "retire" (unless they do extremely well). If Graham simultaneously has a terrific year w/ Senior QB Taylor Kelly....I think we'd be looking at Mike Norvelle, Head Coach, ASU.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Yea that is the biggest fear right now since Patterson put a small buyout in CTG's contract.

Well I suppose its a good sign to have your AD hired away by a bigger program, instead of fired.

On the other hand, the Graham to Texas rumors are sure to heat up now. Patterson and Graham really seem to get along. If Graham wins the P-12 South this year, I'm sure we'll hear rumors.

Though I doubt Patterson fires/pushes out Mack Brown right away after all his success. Perhaps Brown will get 1 more year then "retire" (unless they do extremely well). If Graham simultaneously has a terrific year w/ Senior QB Taylor Kelly....I think we'd be looking at Mike Norvelle, Head Coach, ASU.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

Just a few days after he allegedly turned down the job.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
LOL

Just a few days after he allegedly turned down the job.

Yeah, you guys got Saban'd. You're better off w/o him if he's going to be THAT dishonest.

Although, my perception of the whole situation is that he didn't think he had a shot at the job, so to blow sunshine up the ASU fans' butts to increase his reputation and in an effort to minimize their anxiety, he told people he declined a perceived superior position in favor of staying in Tempe.

At the end of the day, Patterson got a fat raise and landed one of the top-tier AD positions in all of college sports. ASU fans are going to be pissed, but anyone would do the same if given the opportunity. I fear everyday that Byrne will leave us to go back to the SEC or to the pro ranks, but would not fault him for making a prudent business decision.

Yep, most likely say bye bye to Graham as well.

Not sure that happens considering he has some stability in Tempe. Graham wasn't Patterson's guy. That was Love's hire, FWIW. So I don't think it's a package deal. In addition, after Mack Brown beat OU in the Red River Rivalry game, the "Fire Mack" chatter has somewhat diminished.

Although I would not put it past CTG to uproot and go elsewhere. It's an interesting situation to watch to say the least.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Money talks I guess, looks like he's going to get about a million more a year or so than ASU could pay him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Major bummer...

Don't know about Graham. His in-laws live here and his wife is extremely happy to be around her mom & dad.
Of course, if Texas were to offer the type of cash everyone seems to believe they'll offer, I'm sure Mrs. Graham will find a way to get comfy visiting her parents from Texas...

Serious blow to ASU... :sad:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Short of ASU winning the Rose Bowl this year or next Texas is going to set their sights much higher than Todd Graham. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I was angry when I first heard we lost Patterson, but I can't really blame him. The opportunity to go back to the school you graduated from, more than double his salary, and run the largest NCAA program by revenue was too much for us to compete. Good luck to him, l think Graham is much more important to our success. I don't see this effecting recruiting. I think Texas fans want Nick Saban or another huge hire. Not sure Graham is there yet.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Honeslty I can say this now that the dust has cleared. Other then the alma mater piece how on earth is Patterson qualified for THIS role?

I know he has "changed the vibe" at ASU but when it comes to actual results.... I am not sure I see them. Maybe someone more informed can clue me in?

When the Texas AD annoucned he was stepping down there was wide spread panic in Tucson as that is a GREAT job and Im not sure there are many better young ADs in the country then my main man, let alone in the state of Arizona.

But this was one Territorial Cup battle I am more then okay to lose :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Short of ASU winning the Rose Bowl this year or next Texas is going to set their sights much higher than Todd Graham. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

I defintely agree with this HOWEVER

1) ASU is in the drivers seat for the Pac 12 South slot
2) Patterson LOVES the guy
3) He has Texas roots

I would love if they hire him to a) weaken ASU but also because B) I think he would flame out spectacularly at UT.

Frankly its all a timing game. I know the majority of ASU fans would say that Todd Graham has been a better hire then RichRod (and I would debate that fact) but I think thats a confluence of what was left in the cupboard when each coach left and Matt Scott SCREWING THE POOCH in last years game with that 4th Quarter fumble.

But again please UT ride the hot hand and take Graham. Every destination job that gets snapped up before RichRod delivers us our first Rose Bowl is just more time for us to have him entrench himself in TUcson :)

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I defintely agree with this HOWEVER

1) ASU is in the drivers seat for the Pac 12 South slot
2) Patterson LOVES the guy
3) He has Texas roots

I would love if they hire him to a) weaken ASU but also because B) I think he would flame out spectacularly at UT.

Frankly its all a timing game. I know the majority of ASU fans would say that Todd Graham has been a better hire then RichRod (and I would debate that fact) but I think thats a confluence of what was left in the cupboard when each coach left and Matt Scott SCREWING THE POOCH in last years game with that 4th Quarter fumble.

But again please UT ride the hot hand and take Graham. Every destination job that gets snapped up before RichRod delivers us our first Rose Bowl is just more time for us to have him entrench himself in TUcson :)

I am sure Graham knows by now that keeping his wife happy trumps all that. I just don't see him yanking her away from a situation where their family finally lives near her parents.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
"President Michael Crow: Patterson "not allowed to hire someone from #ASU" as part of agreement for him to leave"

"..Crow also said Patterson told him several times he wasn't interested in Texas job, then came to his office yest and told him he took it"

Kind of weak...

Every destination job that gets snapped up before RichRod delivers us our first Rose Bowl is just more time for us to have him entrench himself in TUcson :)

lol, you're on fire today!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"President Michael Crow: Patterson "not allowed to hire someone from #ASU" as part of agreement for him to leave"

"..Crow also said Patterson told him several times he wasn't interested in Texas job, then came to his office yest and told him he took it"

Kind of weak...

lol, you're on fire today!

I love how they worked that into the agreement! That's awesome.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I am sure Graham knows by now that keeping his wife happy trumps all that. I just don't see him yanking her away from a situation where their family finally lives near her parents.

The extra $2 million/year would make his wife a helluva lot happier if she's like 99% of women out there. Not to mention it's probably the best job in the country and where one has a very good chance to win a National Championship which you don't have at ASU (not saying it's impossible for ASU to win a Natty in football, it would just require a tremendous amount of luck and circumstance).

But like I said, Texas has set their sights about 10x higher than Todd Graham. They're talking about Nick Saban, Les Miles, and David Shaw not someone who's best career win was the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. It would take about 10-15 people saying no before Graham was even contacted let alone interviewed. The only place in the entire world where a notion that Graham is some hot coaching commodity exists is Tempe, AZ.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Kind of weak...
Come on, would you tell your current employer that you are interviewing with a different company? I don't know what happened behind the scenes but if not being forthcoming is the shadiest thing he did then he's handled the situation significantly better than most coaches in this state have handled job changes in the past (see Graham, Miller, Rodriguez, etc).

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Come on, would you tell your current employer that you are interviewing with a different company? I don't know what happened behind the scenes but if not being forthcoming is the shadiest thing he did then he's handled the situation significantly better than most coaches in this state have handled job changes in the past (see Graham, Miller, Rodriguez, etc).

Hence "kind of weak". Like I said, I don't begrudge him for taking the job, but no comment seems more forthcoming than repeating several times that you aren't interested. Water under the bridge at this point.

While I agree that Texas will fall all over themselves to get the Sabans/Miles of the world, I think you're completely exaggerating by saying that there are another 10-15 coaches ahead Graham. Whether you like it or not, Graham has done a great job of changing the culture at ASU, and he has major ties to both the AD and the state.

Would Graham be high on the list at other major schools? Probably not. But I doubt there are more than 10 coaches that Texas would bring in over Graham.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hence "kind of weak". Like I said, I don't begrudge him for taking the job, but no comment seems more forthcoming than repeating several times that you aren't interested. Water under the bridge at this point.

While I agree that Texas will fall all over themselves to get the Sabans/Miles of the world, I think you're completely exaggerating by saying that there are another 10-15 coaches ahead Graham. Whether you like it or not, Graham has done a great job of changing the culture at ASU, and he has major ties to both the AD and the state.

Would Graham be high on the list at other major schools? Probably not. But I doubt there are more than 10 coaches that Texas would bring in over Graham.
Chip Brown was on the radio today and he's basically a human fly on the wall in the Texas AD and he pretty much laughed when someone brought up Todd Graham being a candidate. Like I said if ASU wins a Rose Bowl then maybe but they will contact every big name out there both at the collegiate and professional level. Graham unless he makes some bigger splashes (he's got the same record as Rich Rod at UofA right now) just isn't going to be on the radar. It's like saying Duke would be interested in Herb Sendek if Coach K ever left.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No need to pile on especially when Patterson's first call when he fires Rick Barnes next March is going to be to Sean Miller. I doubt Miller takes it but he'll have to say no to a lot of money.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to pile on especially when Patterson's first call when he fires Rick Barnes next March is going to be to Sean Miller. I doubt Miller takes it but he'll have to say no to a lot of money.

No doubt Barnes is a goner.

And yes, I bet Miller will be on the short list.

I don't see him taking it, unless the money is just staggering.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort