Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope our next AD has ties to ASU...just like UofA's AD. :D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to see Todd come home & coach the Horns, I really don't think there's much of a chance he does, so stay calm Devils fans. The entire Graham family has Texas roots including his wife & I'm sure it would be his ultimate dream job, but I just don't think Todd will risk his name again this early by moving on to Texas...though there's a small, small chance!

IMO Texas is after bigger fish in the lake such as Art Briles, Sumlin, Gary Patterson, Mendenhall from BYU & Strong from Louisville. My longshot is Nick Saban, whose been known to leave for greener pastures & his wife has been house hunting for a child of theirs in the Austin area lately. :D Dreaming is free right? Lol

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I just read Graham isn't going anywhere. An agreement was reached with Patterson that he's not allowed to hire someone from ASU.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I defintely agree with this HOWEVER

1) ASU is in the drivers seat for the Pac 12 South slot
2) Patterson LOVES the guy
3) He has Texas roots

I would love if they hire him to a) weaken ASU but also because B) I think he would flame out spectacularly at UT.

Frankly its all a timing game. I know the majority of ASU fans would say that Todd Graham has been a better hire then RichRod (and I would debate that fact) but I think thats a confluence of what was left in the cupboard when each coach left and Matt Scott SCREWING THE POOCH in last years game with that 4th Quarter fumble.

But again please UT ride the hot hand and take Graham. Every destination job that gets snapped up before RichRod delivers us our first Rose Bowl is just more time for us to have him entrench himself in TUcson :)

I don't wish any ill will for the Wildcats other than the natural rivalry in games. Also I do not visit their forum. Why troll the hate on the ASU forum?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't wish any ill will for the Wildcats other than the natural rivalry in games. Also I do not visit their forum. Why troll the hate on the ASU forum?

Man you should not follow me on Twitter then :)

I guess we are different types of alums? I want nothing but anarachy and dumpster fires in Tempe and dont fault any ASU alums that feel the same way about my alma mater. Its a rivalry. You have a normal relationship as a fan of your team. College for me is different and I literally would be okay with losing every game but whupping ASU. And I know im certainly not one of a kind in feeling that way.

And really im not trolling or not trying to at least. This obviously isnt great news for ASU and hard to paint it any other way. But I have respect for guys like Chris and others and giving my opinion. Im not trying to rub it in otherwise I would have posted this picture of Steve Patterson holding Todd Graham on the deck of the Titanic (whic I considered :) ) THATS trolling.

And I know the shoe can be on the other foot too so im not going to revel in or anything. If Sean Miller or Greg Byrne ever leave I will be taking a month long hiatus from ASFN for that very reason!

Also thats kind of a silly rule you set for yourself and not visiting the other forum. The only reason I go on this board to discuss college is to get the ASU take and UCLA (Russ) take and KU take (DKWB) and yes even the NAU take! My all wildcats all the time information comes from a dedicated site. But you keep doing whats working for you!

Last edited:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Man you should not follow me on Twitter then :)

I guess we are different types of alums? I want nothing but anarachy and dumpster fires in Tempe and dont fault any ASU alums that feel the same way about my alma mater. Its a rivalry. You have a normal relationship as a fan of your team. College for me is different and I literally would be okay with losing every game but whupping ASU. And I know im certainly not one of a kind in feeling that way.

And really im not trolling or not trying to at least. This obviously isnt great news for ASU and hard to paint it any other way. But I have respect for guys like Chris and others and giving my opinion. Im not trying to rub it in otherwise I would have posted this picture of Steve Patterson holding Todd Graham on the deck of the Titanic (whic I considered :) ) THATS trolling.

And I know the shoe can be on the other foot too so im not going to revel in or anything. If Sean Miller or Greg Byrne ever leave I will be taking a month long hiatus from ASFN for that very reason!

Also thats kind of a silly rule you set for yourself and not visiting the other forum. The only reason I go on this board to discuss college is to get the ASU take and UCLA (Russ) take and KU take (DKWB) and yes even the NAU take! My all wildcats all the time information comes from a dedicated site. But you keep doing whats working for you!

Having been to ASU and had many friends that went to UA this is the biggest difference. In Tucson, they live, eat, sleep and breath to beat ASU. They could go 1-12, but as long as they beat ASU they are happy. ASU fans tend to demand more from their team and measure results in Rose Bowls, win/loss record, and overall PAC-12 success. The UA game is just another game against a bottom-feeding PAC-12 team (ie. Washington State, Colorado, etc.). Until UA has some success in football, our yearly measuring stick of success will remain USC. They are just more competitive and match up better with ASU. Personally I think UA homer fans rank up there with Nebraska Cornhuskers and Chicago Cubs fanbases as far as unrealistic expectations.....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Having been to ASU and had many friends that went to UA this is the biggest difference. In Tucson, they live, eat, sleep and breath to beat ASU. They could go 1-12, but as long as they beat ASU they are happy. ASU fans tend to demand more from their team and measure results in Rose Bowls, win/loss record, and overall PAC-12 success. The UA game is just another game against a bottom-feeding PAC-12 team (ie. Washington State, Colorado, etc.). Until UA has some success in football, our yearly measuring stick of success will remain USC. They are just more competitive and match up better with ASU. Personally I think UA homer fans rank up there with Nebraska Cornhuskers and Chicago Cubs fanbases as far as unrealistic expectations.....

You see I couldnt disagree with you more. I actually ATTENDED both schools. I grew up in the shadow of the ASU campus. I was a humoungous Jake Plummer fan and was at the Nebraska 19-0 game and carried goal posts down Mill. Trust me I know ASU.

First off for you to say ASU fans measure their success by Rose Bowls. USC etc is ridiculous. ASU is not Oklahoma here. Hell they are not even Stanford. ASU hasnt gone to a BCS bowl for chirsts sake so dont tell me thats how they measure their team. And I can promise you that you make those comments about USC and they dont even notice you. They are bigger rivals with UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, and even Cal and Washington. ASU is not even a glimmer in their eye. You may look at them that way- they certainly dont look ASU that way. And this is more then football for me at least. Overall ASU's athletic success actually pales in comparison to UA's, especially considering we have a National Championship in a BIg 2 sport but I am not trying to go back and forth onthat debate as no one is going to change anyone elses mind.

But let me address your bigger point: you make these holier then thou devil may care comments that I attribute to something compleletely else. Its complete and total university apathy. I saw it. I lived it. ASU is a 30,000 person commuter school. Theres too much going on in PHX for ASU sports to register more then once every five years. Most alums dont even care about the AD. I saw this first hand in 2001 and although enjoyed being close to family and freinds I knew in Tempe that year, couldnt wait to go back to Tucson. I have no Phoenix envy. Im from Phoenix! Im not a Tucson guy. Im a University of Arizona guy. I was only in Tucsoin to go to school and now like 5,000 miles away.

Conversely the community, passion, and care about the school in Tucson and for the alums is pretty ferverent. We fill up girls soccer games for ASU because there is just more a college sense and affiliation there. At ASU most everyones either trying to get drunk all the time or are commuting from their home in Mesa to go to school and back. There is a dedicated fan base no doubt but my experience is it not as pervasisve as it was at UA. Thats what I wanted out of college. And I got it in Tucson.

Its not just about football for Wildcats. Its football, basketball, gymanistics, golf, academics, famous alums. I care about everything Arizona. And conversely dont like anything maroon and gold. Same thing at auburn with alabama. Same with UNC/Duke. Same with all rivals.

So dont tell me ASU has bigger fish to fry. Maybe you are sensible. Sounds like it. I hear from plenty of my ASU friends who LOVE to beat UA at anything, let alone football.

and i used the word literally in my previous post but that was obviously toungue in cheek. If Rich Rod went 2-12 and beat ASU both times, hes obviously getting fired as 2 wins no matter who they come against is not acceptable.

But is ASU the most important win on the schedule for me every year in every sport includign basketball where we come to Tempe, kick Devil ass, and come home and there is a WAY bigger gap then ASU thinks there is in football?

Yes. Yes it is.

Now I am going to get off my soabox as I have derailed this thread and this is about Steve Patterson!

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
One thing is certain - ASU has being doing a great job sourcing top-tier A.D. talent. I mean, losing your AD's to Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas is actally quite a badge of honor. Knowing that ASU will never be at the level of those schools with regard to sports budgets, the fact that our AD's are being sought by the Top 5 schools in the entire country is a very positive indication of how attractive the ASU job is...

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
You see I couldnt disagree with you more. I actually ATTENDED both schools. I grew up in the shadow of the ASU campus. I was a humoungous Jake Plummer fan and was at the Nebraska 19-0 game and carried goal posts down Mill. Trust me I know ASU.

First off for you to say ASU fans measure their success by Rose Bowls. USC etc is ridiculous. ASU is not Oklahoma here. Hell they are not even Stanford. ASU hasnt gone to a BCS bowl for chirsts sake so dont tell me thats how they measure their team. And I can promise you that you make those comments about USC and they dont even notice you. They are bigger rivals with UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, and even Cal and Washington. ASU is not even a glimmer in their eye. You may look at them that way- they certainly dont look ASU that way. And this is more then football for me at least. Overall ASU's athletic success actually pales in comparison to UA's, especially considering we have a National Championship in a BIg 2 sport but I am not trying to go back and forth onthat debate as no one is going to change anyone elses mind.

But let me address your bigger point: you make these holier then thou devil may care comments that I attribute to something compleletely else. Its complete and total university apathy. I saw it. I lived it. ASU is a 30,000 person commuter school. Theres too much going on in PHX for ASU sports to register more then once every five years. Most alums dont even care about the AD. I saw this first hand in 2001 and although enjoyed being close to family and freinds I knew in Tempe that year, couldnt wait to go back to Tucson. I have no Phoenix envy. Im from Phoenix! Im not a Tucson guy. Im a University of Arizona guy. I was only in Tucsoin to go to school and now like 5,000 miles away.

Conversely the community, passion, and care about the school in Tucson and for the alums is pretty ferverent. We fill up girls soccer games for ASU because there is just more a college sense and affiliation there. At ASU most everyones either trying to get drunk all the time or are commuting from their home in Mesa to go to school and back. There is a dedicated fan base no doubt but my experience is it not as pervasisve as it was at UA. Thats what I wanted out of college. And I got it in Tucson.

Its not just about football for Wildcats. Its football, basketball, gymanistics, golf, academics, famous alums. I care about everything Arizona. And conversely dont like anything maroon and gold. Same thing at auburn with alabama. Same with UNC/Duke. Same with all rivals.

So dont tell me ASU has bigger fish to fry. Maybe you are sensible. Sounds like it. I hear from plenty of my ASU friends who LOVE to beat UA at anything, let alone football.

and i used the word literally in my previous post but that was obviously toungue in cheek. If Rich Rod went 2-12 and beat ASU both times, hes obviously getting fired as 2 wins no matter who they come against is not acceptable.

But is ASU the most important win on the schedule for me every year in every sport includign basketball where we come to Tempe, kick Devil ass, and come home and there is a WAY bigger gap then ASU thinks there is in football?

Yes. Yes it is.

Now I am going to get off my soabox as I have derailed this thread and this is about Steve Patterson!

Exactly thank you for proving my point how UA fans have nothing better to focus on than ASU. As earlier stated we will continue to focus on opponents that provide us top level competition in the PAC-12 and nationally. Good luck to UA on Nov. 30, hopefully we already have the PAC-12 South wrapped up by then.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yawn... pretty sure USC noticed the Devils putting 62 up on them.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
One thing is certain - ASU has being doing a great job sourcing top-tier A.D. talent. I mean, losing your AD's to Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas is actally quite a badge of honor. Knowing that ASU will never be at the level of those schools with regard to sports budgets, the fact that our AD's are being sought by the Top 5 schools in the entire country is a very positive indication of how attractive the ASU job is...

Cuts both ways but I agree with this. 3 ADs have now moved on to Blueblood programs so that is a credit to the appeal of the job overall. Hoping you do a hire a good replacement.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Yawn... pretty sure USC noticed the Devils putting 62 up on them.

Maybe just a bit of recency bias here. Have you guys won in California since Koetter was here? You definitely caught USC as the nadir of thier last 3 year swoon.

I give credit to Devils this year. Washington win was impressive. I thought the Wazzu game would be trouble and you smacked them. USC was a good win. Still this a team that got blasted by Stanford (no shame there) and lost to a mediocre ND team on a neutral field. Also the Wisconsin game at home very well should have been a loss. Overrated maybe just a bit but well see.

Well see how the season plays out. Couple tests left still and you bypass oregon so thats good. But I still believe outside of this year, the football outlook in Tucson is sunnier then it is at ASU. And that was before your AD left!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. Yes it is.

ASU just has hotter girls so all the guys are busy getting them drunk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Exactly thank you for proving my point how UA fans have nothing better to focus on than ASU. As earlier stated we will continue to focus on opponents that provide us top level competition in the PAC-12 and nationally.

And living in USC and UCLA's backyard, I can tell you that if you honestly believe your team focuses on top-level competition, the feeling is not reciprocated. The overall perception of ASU in Los Angeles, from both the USC and UCLA alumni, is that it's a substandard academic institution with a mediocre athletic program, which includes the football team. Trust me when I say the Sun Devils do not register on the richter scale here in So Cal. Neither does the UofA football team, but we get a ton of overall recognition and curiosity only because of hoops.

Like UofA, no one outside of Arizona cares about ASU football. Why do you think Taylor Kelly's 7 TD performance against WSU got hardly any publicity? If Hundley at UCLA did that, Sportscenter would've spent 10 minutes dissecting the game and analyzing his Heisman status and draft stock in comparison to Mariota, Bridgewater, and Manziel. Same thing is going on with Ka'Deem Carey. Arguably the best RB in the country, but outside of Arizona, no one really cares what he does.

The truth of the matter is there is no difference with regards to expectations and what level of competition they focus on. Both are going through a similar phase of transition with new coaches, and moving on from coaches who quite frankly gave up on their respective schools at the end of their tenures. The only differences are that we've revamped our facilities and aren't searching for a new AD. It's a one game at a time approach, with the end goal being the Rose Bowl. None are thinking championship at this stage in the game. Now in two years, it'd be fair to reevaluate this stance for both schools.

While I admire your dedication and devotion to your team, you need to temper your expectations a bit. What you're positing is a delusion of grandeur. The TC means just as much to ASU as it does UofA, and unarguably it sticks in ASU's craw when they lose to UofA just the same.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Exactly thank you for proving my point how UA fans have nothing better to focus on than ASU. As earlier stated we will continue to focus on opponents that provide us top level competition in the PAC-12 and nationally. Good luck to UA on Nov. 30, hopefully we already have the PAC-12 South wrapped up by then.

Hahaha. And how's that going for ya? ASU is 15-19-1 vs Arizona since both schools joined the Pac 10/12. 11-19 vs USC. 10-18-1 vs UCLA. 14-17 vs Oregon. One would think that in order for a program to be on an elevated level they would actually have to beat the team they are supposedly lording over. And feel free to look up your winning percentage against ranked teams over the last 30 years since your focus is now apparently with the elite teams.

The notion that ASU has bigger fish to fry than Arizona in football is laughable. You're a marginally better football program only due to some moderate success in a low major conference before the Reagan Administration. Since then we're basically mirror images of each other and regrettably the only two teams in the conference without a BCS Bowl appearance.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
our yearly measuring stick of success will remain USC. They are just more competitive and match up better with ASU. Personally I think UA homer fans rank up there with Nebraska Cornhuskers and Chicago Cubs fanbases as far as unrealistic expectations.....

Seriously funniest couple sentences ever. Nebraska has finished in the top 25 the same amount of times in the last five years (a whopping four) as ASU has in the previous 25. And they're the ones with unrealistic expectations?

Arizona is a historically below average football program no doubt, Finest's predictions are way too optimistic for my taste. But some sort of reality regarding your own football program is needed here.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hahaha. And how's that going for ya? ASU is 15-19-1 vs Arizona since both schools joined the Pac 10/12. 11-19 vs USC. 10-18-1 vs UCLA. 14-17 vs Oregon. One would think that in order for a program to be on an elevated level they would actually have to beat the team they are supposedly lording over. And feel free to look up your winning percentage against ranked teams over the last 30 years since your focus is now apparently with the elite teams.

The notion that ASU has bigger fish to fry than Arizona in football is laughable. You're a marginally better football program only due to some moderate success in a low major conference before the Reagan Administration. Since then we're basically mirror images of each other and regrettably the only two teams in the conference without a BCS Bowl appearance.

Ding Ding Ding.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Seriously funniest couple sentences ever. Nebraska has finished in the top 25 the same amount of times in the last five years (a whopping four) as ASU has in the previous 25. And they're the ones with unrealistic expectations?

Arizona is a historically below average football program no doubt, Finest's predictions are way too optimistic for my taste. But some sort of reality regarding your own football program is needed here.

You must be registered for see images

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patterson leaving isn't bad news. It's not good news, but it's not bad news. Most donating alums are indifferent because they had a minimal relationship with him. The people they do have relationships with -- particularly Rocky Harris -- are staying and it should be business as usual for the time being.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
And living in USC and UCLA's backyard, I can tell you that if you honestly believe your team focuses on top-level competition, the feeling is not reciprocated. The overall perception of ASU in Los Angeles, from both the USC and UCLA alumni, is that it's a substandard academic institution with a mediocre athletic program, which includes the football team. Trust me when I say the Sun Devils do not register on the richter scale here in So Cal. Neither does the UofA football team, but we get a ton of overall recognition and curiosity only because of hoops.

Like UofA, no one outside of Arizona cares about ASU football. Why do you think Taylor Kelly's 7 TD performance against WSU got hardly any publicity? If Hundley at UCLA did that, Sportscenter would've spent 10 minutes dissecting the game and analyzing his Heisman status and draft stock in comparison to Mariota, Bridgewater, and Manziel. Same thing is going on with Ka'Deem Carey. Arguably the best RB in the country, but outside of Arizona, no one really cares what he does.

The truth of the matter is there is no difference with regards to expectations and what level of competition they focus on. Both are going through a similar phase of transition with new coaches, and moving on from coaches who quite frankly gave up on their respective schools at the end of their tenures. The only differences are that we've revamped our facilities and aren't searching for a new AD. It's a one game at a time approach, with the end goal being the Rose Bowl. None are thinking championship at this stage in the game. Now in two years, it'd be fair to reevaluate this stance for both schools.

While I admire your dedication and devotion to your team, you need to temper your expectations a bit. What you're positing is a delusion of grandeur. The TC means just as much to ASU as it does UofA, and unarguably it sticks in ASU's craw when they lose to UofA just the same.

I agree that the schooling at USC and UCLA is far more respected than that of the Arizona schools. I personally wanted to attend UCLA, but the cost was to high coming out of state from Arizona. As far as those schools not having any respect for ASU, all I have to say is this has been a down decade for us and the football program has been mediocre, they would be correct in that evaluation. It is looking a lot brighter now given the young talent, coaching, and recruiting for the future. If the attitude in Los Angeles is not respectful of ASU, then all we can do is go out there and change it on the football field. You do not have to look to far back to see when Stanford and Oregon were not very good football teams.

Arizona and the west coast in general will always receive a lack of coverage. I think it is because of the marginal success we have had on the national level, but also just location and time. Half the country is asleep when we play and like it or not that plays a factor in national perception.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually ATTENDED both schools.

I don't buy into anything you have to say on the rivalry in this case. Attended BOTH schools? Bleh. If you attended ASU that should cancel out attending the U of A and vice versa.

Alma mater simply means "a school, college, or university which you attended"...so both schools are your alma mater. Period. SMH.

:)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Best post in this thread...

While I can't speak for UA, I would say that if you were to ask Michael Crow, he would say that where ASU sits today with respect to athletics is perfectly fine with him. He seems to have a very pragmatic, realistic approach to the athletic program and has no desire to get into the spending frenzy on par with schools like Texas, Bama and even USC... Not sure if that pisses me off, or, if I respect his clarity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk