Stars Earn Stripes

AZZenny

Reaction score
OK, admittedly I'm sort of a spec ops junkie, but the pilot for this show was a lot of fun. Definitely watchable -- Think Survivor x Dancing with the Stars x Surviving the Cut.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Is it really violent?

Some of the recent Nobel laureates have criticized it, saying that it will desensitive people to the tragedies of war. From the commercials I've seen, it seems as if they might have a point.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
No, it's no more violent than any two dozen other action shows, probably less. No one gets shot, no one gets tortured, no one gets raped or murdered, no one uses drugs, no home invasions -- no VIOLENCE, actually, against any living thing.

It doesn't glorify violence -- it glorifies intense training, teamwork, and gutting it out and persisting through incredibly tough physical challenges. Yeah, you get to blow stuff up and shoot out paper targets on the way. You get to shoot a Barrett 50 mm at a tiny plastic target so a big box of dirt falls and clouds of dust and smoke billow out.

I can't believe with all the insane crap in movies and on TV and video games, and all the real violence in the world, these people (and lets not confuse the Peace Prize with anything meaningful, btw) have the time to get their panties in a bunch over this show. They wouldn't have even known about it except it was advertised during the Olympics.

If you enjoy Surviving the Cut, GI Jane, or wonder just how hard it would be to do the simplest level of special ops I think you'll enjoy it -- it's an eye-opener.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No, it's no more violent than any two dozen other action shows, probably less. No one gets shot, no one gets tortured, no one gets raped or murdered, no one uses drugs, no home invasions -- no VIOLENCE, actually, against any living thing.

It doesn't glorify violence -- it glorifies intense training, teamwork, and gutting it out and persisting through incredibly tough physical challenges. Yeah, you get to blow stuff up and shoot out paper targets on the way. You get to shoot a Barrett 50 mm at a tiny plastic target so a big box of dirt falls and clouds of dust and smoke billow out.

I can't believe with all the insane crap in movies and on TV and video games, and all the real violence in the world, these people (and lets not confuse the Peace Prize with anything meaningful, btw) have the time to get their panties in a bunch over this show. They wouldn't have even known about it except it was advertised during the Olympics.

If you enjoy Surviving the Cut, GI Jane, or wonder just how hard it would be to do the simplest level of special ops I think you'll enjoy it -- it's an eye-opener.

I'm in that boat, too. The good thing about the Olympics being over is that I can go back to watching DVR versions of shows and not watching commercials.

Also, wtf NBC on dropping full shows into the middle of the Games coverage? Especially the animal hospital one...you think people are going to want to watch a show in which the very opening scene is a cat jumping off a high rise building? /rant

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it. I think if anything it shows the intense training these guys go through and how hard it is they do what they do.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just watched it and I don't think I've ever beem more disgusted by a TV program then this one.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Man, I've seen so much more disgusting stuff and disturbing violence on TV than this!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Man, I've seen so much more disgusting stuff and disturbing violence on TV than this!

It has nothing to do with violence.
I think it's extremely disrespectful to the men and women that train for years and actually put their lives on the line.
It's TV, a controlled environment and the actors, calling this cast actors is being very kind, have ZERO credibility.
Camera angles and explosions made for sensationalism.
As I said disrespectful and disgusting to me.

Can you elaborate as to why?

/have not seen.

See above.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's disrespectful. I'm astonished by the demands and the development of teamwork. I'm enjoying it a lot.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's disrespectful.

I don't either.

And I've got Special Forces members in my family, if that makes a difference. I've been watching it and enjoying it. My one gripe is that they don't show the mindset of these men and how they think. Which isn't like everyone else to put it mildly.

(Zenny, I can't remember. Have you read "The Only Thing Worth Dying For"? I thought the author totally captured these men and how they think. I love that book. When I'm in a bookstore and I see someone looking at titles in the military section I tap that book and say, "This one". - Which is usually followed by a rather surprised look from a guy who didn't expect to get a recommendation on a book about the Green Berets from a woman.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Just downloaded it on my kindle, DMB. I have foot surgery next week and will be largely laid up at home 2-3 weeks, so it'll get read. Thanks.

OK, I really enjoyed this show, and loved that two smart, athletic women made the final three. Sure, the females were picked for exceptional physical toughness whereas the men were pretty darn average specimens (and the two that were 'built' got bounced first) but I LOVED the way the Ops and the women bonded and worked as teammates and partners. (Although at the end, it seemed to me Green Beret Grady had fallen head over heels for Eve Torres; not sure she reciprocated.) The flat-out awe and respect voiced by all the celebs at the end -- that working with the Ops had truly changed their lives for the better -- really struck me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they commercializing this? Of course, it's a TV show. However, I don't think they disrespect the military one bit. My family is full of Vets and they like the show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson