2023 Emmys

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please note @cheesebeef

Being in the business and wll, I'd really like to hear your take on award shows. Whether it's Emmys, Oscars, Globes, Grammys or whatever, it seems like most years they find something they like and just pile the huge percentage of awards on it (show, actors, producers, music, directors, etc). I'm just a knuckle head watcher, but very early on one could see that "The Bear" was going to get a ton of Emmys, 6 I think.

As a non-industry person, to me it seems unlikely that a show, such as the Bear, just has better stuff than every other nominee in all those categories. I've never seen the Bear, but historically, I've noted this trend over and over again. It sure takes some fun out of the show.

Am i simply wrong about this? Or is it just something that is "part of the business?"

Thanks in advance!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some shows just tower over others. The Bear is a perfect example of that.

I don’t know the numbers over the years for clean sweeps.

Nor do I pay all that much attention to awards shows.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Please note @cheesebeef

Being in the business and wll, I'd really like to hear your take on award shows. Whether it's Emmys, Oscars, Globes, Grammys or whatever, it seems like most years they find something they like and just pile the huge percentage of awards on it (show, actors, producers, music, directors, etc). I'm just a knuckle head watcher, but very early on one could see that "The Bear" was going to get a ton of Emmys, 6 I think.

As a non-industry person, to me it seems unlikely that a show, such as the Bear, just has better stuff than every other nominee in all those categories. I've never seen the Bear, but historically, I've noted this trend over and over again. It sure takes some fun out of the show.

Am i simply wrong about this? Or is it just something that is "part of the business?"

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure where this is coming from -- if you've never seen "The Bear", how do you feel qualified to question the validity of its accolades?

On the flip side, Better Call Saul has been nominated for over 50 awards and didn't win even one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bear was really really good. Comparing apples to oranges if trying to compare to BCS.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Emmys stat:

Breaking Bad 58 nominations / 16 wins
Better Call Saul 53 nominations / 0 wins

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where this is coming from -- if you've never seen "The Bear", how do you feel qualified to question the validity of its accolades?

On the flip side, Better Call Saul has been nominated for over 50 awards and didn't win even one.
I ask a simple question and you throw a right hook in response? :shrug:

I think you missed what the real question was. Read my post again

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some shows just tower over others. The Bear is a perfect example of that.

I don’t know the numbers over the years for clean sweeps.

Nor do I pay all that much attention to awards shows.
Thanks, Cheese. Your last sentence really answers my question. :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I ask a simple question and you throw a right hook in response? :shrug:

I think you missed what the real question was. Read my post again
Not trying to be a jerk, but you wrote this:

"As a non-industry person, to me it seems unlikely that a show, such as the Bear, just has better stuff than every other nominee in all those categories."

I'm curious to know WHY you feel it is unlikely that the Bear is good enough to win over other nominess without having seen it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

"As a non-industry person, to me it seems unlikely that a show, such as the Bear, just has better stuff than every other nominee in all those categories."

I'm curious to know WHY you feel it is unlikely that the Bear is good enough to win over other nominess without having seen it.
There in one episode of The Bear's second season that is, in my opinion, one of the best hours of television ever.

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no idea about the Bear specifically. I made that clear. I was using it as a general comparison to other award shows where there's a one winner takes nearly all deal. Having watched movies, television etc. for over 60 years, I've certainly seen it happen.... And by my admittedly unqualified judgement, I've certainly seen it happen a lot. I was just looking for some insider thoughts on it. :cheers:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no idea about the Bear specifically. I made that clear. I was using it as a general comparison to other award shows where there's a one winner takes nearly all deal. Having watched movies, television etc. for over 60 years, I've certainly seen it happen.... And by my admittedly unqualified judgement, I've certainly seen it happen a lot. I was just looking for some insider thoughts on it. :cheers:
You see that a lot with the Oscars, especially in the 90s and 2000s. There has been a bit more variety recently -- where the Best Director isn't necessarily the director of the Best picture winner, for example.

But Academy members usually have a long memory. If they love a show (or movie), they love EVERYTHING about the show. I think more variety in the winners would be nice, and maybe that will change once the boomers start getting removed from the Academy rolls.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Crazy Emmys stat:

Breaking Bad 58 nominations / 16 wins
Better Call Saul 53 nominations / 0 wins
That's a joke. Both shows were much better than the vast majority of competition for awards during the eras they both ran. But we all know how awards shows just love to be contrarian in who they honor, with the Emmys being among the most egregious at it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's a joke. Both shows were much better than the vast majority of competition for awards during the eras they both ran. But we all know how awards shows just love to be contrarian in who they honor, with the Emmys being among the most egregious at it.
Breaking Bad was airing in a Golden Age. Not much you can do when you are up against Game of Thrones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson