SportingNews.com: Suns Sign Dragic

Reaction score
Suns sign Goran Dragic to back up Nash

Posted: August 13, 2008
Sean Deveney
Sporting News

After much wrangling, more than a few doubts and some international diplomacy, the Suns finally have landed the player they expect to be Steve Nash's backup this year. A source confirmed to Sporting News that Slovenian point guard Goran Dragic -- whose rights were acquired in June in a draft-night trade with the Spurs -- will sign a multi-year contract of at least three years and will play in Phoenix next year.
There are still some administrative details to resolve, but this is a big win for the Suns. Dragic did not have a buyout in his contract with Tau Ceramica in Spain, and it was widely believed that he would have to wait till next year to join an NBA team. Before any deal with the Suns could be finalized, Dragic had to haggle with two European teams, negotiating a buyout that would persuade them to release him from his contract.
That process was long and difficult. One of Dragic's American representatives, Rade Filipovich, joined his representative in Spain, Quique Villalobos, a week ago to begin working out a deal. Complicating matters is that Dragic's rights were technically owned by Union Olimpija in his hometown of Ljubljana, and he was on loan to Tau. Dragic had to work out a buyout figure that would satisfy
both teams.
As recently as Monday, Dragic told a Spanish newspaper, "I have spoken with my manager and the people at Tau, and they all think it's better for me to stay here, and so do I." That sent mixed signals to folks in the NBA, but according to the source, the paper was actually using old quotes.
Rather than paying Dragic a standard rookie minimum, the Suns had to pay him part of their mid-level exception to help cover the cost of the buyout he negotiated with Tau.
Phoenix was willing to pay that, though, because the Suns have long been intrigued by Dragic's potential, who is 6-4 and 22 years old. In fact, on draft night, Phoenix considered t
aking Dragic with the 15th pick. The Suns decided to gamble on taking him in the second round, though, because second-round picks are not held to the rookie salary scale and would have the financial flexibility to work out an early buyout. Phoenix ended up trading the draft rights to Malik Hairston (No. 48 pick), a future second-round pick and cash for the rights for Dragic.
The Suns feel he is intelligent and mature enough to step in and be Nash's backup this year. Without Dragic, Phoenix would have been down to some less-appealing options to back up Nash. The team was rumored to be interested in guard Jannero Pargo -- more of a scorer than a point guard -- or, failing that, probably would have had Leandro Barbosa revert from his role as off-the-bench scoring guard back to his old role as Nash's backup.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=445321

HooverDam

Reaction score
Wow, what a relief. Though I'd still like to see the Suns sign a veteran PG for the minimum, since we don't really know what Dragic can do, but I doubt that happens now.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I was wrong (thank God) about him coming over this year. Of course, I won't believe it until he's actually signed.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Pretty odd that the article was published over 2 hours ago yet no other sources have reported it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, what a relief. Though I'd still like to see the Suns sign a veteran PG for the minimum, since we don't really know what Dragic can do, but I doubt that happens now.

I don't think I want another pg. Of course, I am still thinking like DAntoni is here. Having another pg on the roster just gives the coach an excuse not to develop Dragic. We need to find out if he is the real deal or not.

We have Nash, Dragic, and DJ. Plus LB can play the point in a pinch. If they want to move DJ for a vet, fine.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty odd that the article was published over 2 hours ago yet no other sources have reported it.

I'd say Sporting News is a pretty good source.

BTW, the arcile mentioned what I've suspecte, "the paper was actually using old quotes."

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Can 2nd Rounders sign up to 'of at least 3 years'??

I thought it was always 2 years??

Anywho, great news if it's true =D

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I want another pg. Of course, I am still thinking like DAntoni is here. Having another pg on the roster just gives the coach an excuse not to develop Dragic. We need to find out if he is the real deal or not.

We have Nash, Dragic, and DJ. Plus LB can play the point in a pinch. If they want to move DJ for a vet, fine.
Agree. Develop Dragic and DJ on the court on a nightly basis.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the sound and fury about Dragic, it would be tragic if Dragic isn't that good.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Damn hes getting hyped up alot so I hope he brings something to the table that we don't already have.

I will go out and it say it now. Lopez and Dragic will have a bigger impact in their first years then Straw and Tucker will have in year 3. And I think that says more about this years draft picks then an indictment on the previous two.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats guys. I know you guys have been going crazy for this to happen.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Well yea, but I meant another news website like ESPN or AZ Republic or East Valley Tribune with their own story on it. That just links back to SportingNews again.

In the case of the local papers, my impression is that they work in the evening so they may not be at their desks. Usually this kind of breaking news ends up being reported as simply a repeat of the other article. The real holdup is probably they are waiting for reports from the FO. My suspicion is that the Suns organization is not going to report until all the details are worked out.

As for whether Dragic is worth the hype, we could ask the same thing about Rose. I'd be surprised if Dragic is another Chris Paul or Deron Williams; but I think he is almost certain to be better than the Vet Min guys we've been talking about.

What we know (or think we know) is:

1. He's a very good defender

2. He's good in the open court at pushing the ball with good vision

3. He's very good at getting to the basket (based on videos)

4. He has a good mid range shot (according to the Suns from their workout)

What we don't know is how well he can handle the pick and roll and his three point shooting is uncertain. But unless the reports are totall out of line, he should be a major improvement over Leandro with the quickness to defend guys like Parker.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Umm Jerry Browns article says that he is NOT signed per the Suns? Whats going on? Suns flatly denied having him signed at all.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I smell embargo infringement! Im guessing the story wasnt intended to be posted when it was. Maybe that's why the sportingnews article had been out for 2 hours before anyone else noticed it.