Sources say Torn ACL for Palmer - Out for the Season

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The next two games are huge.
The real test of the whole season has been looming in Seattle.

If they get the no. 1 seed they don't have to worry about cold weather games on the road for the duration.

I will fully admit to wishful thinking but I see Stanton completion % dropped because of playing it safe against NY and dropped passes against Denver. We really have no other choice at this point but to hope the magic continues. Or we could make another "the season is toast" thread. :)

The whole team has to play even better than they have so far but I don't see that as impossible even if it is improbable.

Don't we all watch sports waiting to witness the improbable and amazing moments?

Reaction score
Palmer makes throws that Stanton just can't in terms of read and accuracy. Palmer gives us the ability to get everything out of any given play, while Stanton is lucky to get what they play is designed to get. Palmer gives us one more way to win games while Stanton gives us one more way to lose games.

In the end, Palmer gives us the ability to overcome more than Stanton does. As far as Green Bay and Philly being overrated...umm how? Both are plus offenses designed to put points on the board, wear out defenses, and put pressure on the opposing QB to score TDs not FGs. Our offense has had consistency issues before Palmer got injured. We are not getting more consistent with Stanton in, and our defense struggles to get pressure on the QB without blitzing which the Eagles, Broncos, and Chargers have already exploited this year. It isn't about being under or over rated, it is about matchups. With Stanton in, we have less room for error vs these teams which are already matchuop issues.

Agree with this.

Reaction score

If they get the no. 1 seed they don't have to worry about cold weather games on the road for the duration.

I will fully admit to wishful thinking but I see Stanton completion % dropped because of playing it safe against NY and dropped passes against Denver. We really have no other choice at this point but to hope the magic continues. Or we could make another "the season is toast" thread. :)

The whole team has to play even better than they have so far but I don't see that as impossible even if it is improbable.

Don't we all watch sports waiting to witness the improbable and amazing moments?

Very true. It's been an amazing season so far.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
...If you can't see the difference between Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton at QB, there isn't much I can say here to you.

I see the difference and clearly Palmer is preferred when healthy.
I question the foregone conclusion of team playoff success with one over the other.

Too many things can happen in the next 6 weeks. If Stanton can get us there I don't see any reason he can't win it.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good article about Palmer. He said he cried like a baby last night. My heart feels for him. Be close to living his dream just to start over again.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/palmer-out-for-season-says-he-cried-like-a-baby/ar-AA7ukta

Yeah I read this earlier and felt bad for the dude. He knows his chances to compete are dwindling and to go out like this just sucks.

I want to believe we can win games with Stanton and to a certain degree we will but people are mistaken to think we're okay going from Palmer's 62% completions to Stantons 49%. They aren't even attempting the same throws. Palmer is making and attempting much more difficult throws and STILL has a much higher completion percentage. Those are the throws needed in the playoffs because often it's the only thing open.

Sometimes a team can only sustain so many losses. Talent still matters.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has been showing some interesting stats comparing Palmer & Stanton. Here's what i remember from what they showed on the screen, plus some that i looked up:

The bad:
Red Zone efficiency: Palmer ~60%, Stanton ~30% (!!)
Completion %: Palmer 62.9%, Stanton 49.5% (worst in NFL w/ > 80 attempts!!)
Passer Rating: Palmer 95.6, Stanton 81.6

Basically a wash:
Points per drive: Palmer & Stanton right around 2.1
QBR: Palmer 64.8, Stanton 67.6

The good:
Interceptions: Stanton 0 (best in NFL w/ > 80 attempts) (and no fumbles, either!)
Air yards per completion: Stanton 12.9 (best in NFL w/ > 80 attempts)

The poor completion percentage reflects in the following:
Yards per attempt: Palmer 7.3, Stanton 6.9
Yards per completion: Palmer 11.5, Stanton 13.3

...dbs

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
do we get the Stanton we saw vs the 49ers --- 55% completion, 2 tds and no ints --

feel pretty good.

Stanton we saw against the Broncos -- 11/26 42% completion. 0/0

that'll be tough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stanton has hardly enough data to make a real comparison. What were Palmer's numbers over his first 3 or 4 games as a Cardinal. You have to believe that Stanton will improve those numbers as he settles in.

Losing Palmer is bad news, no doubt. That is evident from the eye test. But statistical comparisons at this point are not valuable.

RidersWin

Reaction score
I heard the devastating news about Palmer. Just when this was turning into a dream season, now everything is in question. Wow, this really sucks. yeah, it's really tough if not impossible to find AZCardinals gear up hear. Of course, all kinds of Broncos, Seahawks, Patriots,etc....

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN has been showing some interesting stats comparing Palmer & Stanton. Here's what i remember from what they showed on the screen, plus some that i looked up:

The bad:
Red Zone efficiency: Palmer ~60%, Stanton ~30% (!!)
Completion %: Palmer 62.9%, Stanton 49.5% (worst in NFL w/ > 80 attempts!!)
Passer Rating: Palmer 95.6, Stanton 81.6

Basically a wash:
Points per drive: Palmer & Stanton right around 2.1
QBR: Palmer 64.8, Stanton 67.6

The good:
Interceptions: Stanton 0 (best in NFL w/ > 80 attempts) (and no fumbles, either!)
Air yards per completion: Stanton 12.9 (best in NFL w/ > 80 attempts)

The poor completion percentage reflects in the following:
Yards per attempt: Palmer 7.3, Stanton 6.9
Yards per completion: Palmer 11.5, Stanton 13.3

...dbs

Wonder what Drew's completion % would be if you factor the drops?

One can hope that feature will improve going forward.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Both teams played NFC West teams and were beat. Not on the same level of this division IMO. I love how people are concerned about Stanton but predicting home field and the NFC title game with Mark Sanchez, even though we have the head to head advantage and ITS MARK SANCHEZ.

Laughable really.

Also Green Bay is tissue paper soft and lacks depth across both lines and I love their QB, but they can be shut down by a good defense on the road. See Game 1.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
AZF's psychology is fascinating some times. Drew Stanton is not yet completing 50% of his passes as a quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals.

Very little about the way that the Cards have been winning is sustainable, but winning football games when your quarterback is completing less than half of his passes seems like a pretty good indicator that your success is not going to be sustainable, particularly when the quality of the opponent defenses increases.

Stantons got a higher QBR and PPP than Palmer. I think Palmer is the better player overall but A) still is prone to bad turnovers B) is not as mobile as Drew and C) Doesnt have any playoff success for you to harken back to and say "what could have been". Its not like we lost Aaron Rodgers (who his team revolves around) and the dip in difference in starter to backup isnt say Andre Ellington to Marion Grice.... now is it?

This season must be eating you alive K9. Kiem is a genius, The team defies all advanced statistics to be 8-1, and now with Palmer out, you are repping him as the difference between special and a first round exit when I can find any evidence of you saying how special Palmer is and how we are destined for the Super Bowl because of him.

You will be wrong. Again. Shocker. Maybe go melt down in the Andy Dalton thread and ill come visit you later?

New Username

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Many things working against Palmer, this time around....2nd time to the same knee...he's now 34, not 26ish...oh, and he didn't play really well when he came back from that first one...It took him some time, even then, to get his game back.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

1) same knee but only the ACL (no MCL). They put an entire new one in. The screws are already there. Pretty straightforward. plug and play no matter what age you are.
2) didn't play well when he came back? He threw for over 4000 yards 28 TD's and 13 ints. I think we could work from that.

Dude, you are from RSM. That is where he went to HS. Check your facts before posting the nonsense that leads to embarrassment.