Sources say Torn ACL for Palmer - Out for the Season

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pottsville curse is my vote.

Bingo!! Recently met someone at a HS football game that was raised in Pottsville. He had heard that I was a Cardinal fan. Man, that dude was PISSED OFF! I tried to make light of it & that only pissed him off more.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Backup QBs can thrive in small-sample-size environments when teams don't have enough film to pick them apart.

It looked like to me the offense changed subtly when Stanton came in: play action and throws to the TEs.

i think for the next three or four games, offensive tendencies will go out the window for teams scouting the Cards --- plays that Stanton likes instead of ones that Palmer likes

I also have to think that safeties now have to be aware of John Brown and it will give Stanton some more predictable looks in coverage

it sure would be nice to run for 4 yards a carry --

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Backup QBs can thrive in small-sample-size environments when teams don't have enough film to pick them apart.

CF: John Skelton's rookie year, Kevin Kolb's start with the Cards (and his career of sporadic appearances), Nick Foles with the Eagles, Josh McCown with the Bears.

There's a window here for Stanton to be just good and unknown enough to be successful for 10 games, particularly with this defense behind him (we're getting Matt Shaugnessey back eventually). The problem would be next year, but hopefully Palmer can come back by then.

We have to do something about the backup QB position. Logan Thomas is Less Than Zero.

I would ordinarily agree with you... but, with no real credible threat of a rushing attack, I think Stanton's chances for success are tremendously stretched... I really hope I'm wrong!

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Case Keenum can be plucked from the Rams PS. Not saying, just saying.....

I like him, but Arians prefers dudes with experience in the system, which is why I could see Dixon or a Lindley return.

As a reminder: if we pluck someone off the practice squad, that player has to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I like him, but Arians prefers dudes with experience in the system, which is why I could see Dixon or a Lindley return.

As a reminder: if we pluck someone off the practice squad, that player has to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks.

Well if Palmer is out for the year it opens a roster spot so it probably doesn't make this much of a problem. Lindley is certainly a candidate. He had a whole season and a second training camp in the BA offense.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's officially a torn ACL. No other damage. Looking at a June or July return.

https://twitter.com/joshweinfuss/status/531886823841476608

Bruce Arians said Carson Palmer did tear his ACL and will go on IR. He's not expected back until June or July.

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/531887152620007424

Arians said no other damage to Palmer, so time table should get Palmer back for 2015.

Best case scenario given the circumstance. No MCL issues. July puts him back for training camp.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of confidence he'll be back at his current caliber of play. Tom Brady tore his ACL in week 1 and wasn't the same until two years later. If it was Palmer's other knee I'd be more optimistic. That thing must be dangling from his thigh.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would ordinarily agree with you... but, with no real credible threat of a rushing attack, I think Stanton's chances for success are tremendously stretched... I really hope I'm wrong!

I will trust the Ellington we've seen from the previous 8 weeks is closer to the guy that he is than the one that we saw yesterday. I also hope that Kulabafi is going to come back and be productive next week.

I don't think that Stanton can come in and be Carson Palmer. I said this to my buddy yesterday--the difference between Stanton and Palmer as a Week 1 starter is losing in the wild card round and winning a Conference Championship game.

Now, as a Week 10 starter? I think we can maybe hold serve against the division and win the NFC West and maybe get a bye. The question is whether you trust Stanton to win a Conference Championship game on the road in Philly or Green Bay.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I will trust the Ellington we've seen from the previous 8 weeks is closer to the guy that he is than the one that we saw yesterday. I also hope that Kulabafi is going to come back and be productive next week.

I don't think that Stanton can come in and be Carson Palmer. I said this to my buddy yesterday--the difference between Stanton and Palmer as a Week 1 starter is losing in the wild card round and winning a Conference Championship game.

Now, as a Week 10 starter? I think we can maybe hold serve against the division and win the NFC West and maybe get a bye. The question is whether you trust Stanton to win a Conference Championship game on the road in Philly or Green Bay.

I actually believe BA when he says we can win a Super Bowl with Stanton. I really do. However, I think BA is assuming that somehow, Ellington is going to be able to hold up and essentially go it alone the rest of the way, including the playoffs. I don't see that. I think Ellington has been playing hurt all year and I think that, along with his instincts of avoiding hits and taking minimal gains by doing so, will seriously hurt us down the stretch when we now will be facing major-league, legit defenses in hyper-pressure packed games. We will absolutely need a legit rushing attack to control clock and keep pressure off of Stanton and I just don't see a single running back scheme - with Ellington - being able to accomplish that...

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually believe BA when he says we can win a Super Bowl with Stanton. I really do. However, I think BA is assuming that somehow, Ellington is going to be able to hold up and essentially go it alone the rest of the way, including the playoffs. I don't see that. I think Ellington has been playing hurt all year and I think that, along with his instincts of avoiding hits and taking minimal gains by doing so, will seriously hurt us down the stretch when we now will be facing major-league, legit defenses in hyper-pressure packed games. We will absolutely need a legit rushing attack to control clock and keep pressure off of Stanton and I just don't see a single running back scheme - with Ellington - being able to accomplish that...

Taylor is back this week, and I think Grice stays on the roster. I am more concerned about run blocking, which was atrocious yesterday.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe in Stanton's heart. He was going toe to toe with Payton Manning in Denver before going down and the way he came in yesterday and drove us 90 yards complete with a perfect bomb to Brown speaks of the guy's heart.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Taylor is back this week, and I think Grice stays on the roster. I am more concerned about run blocking, which was atrocious yesterday.

Considering that the Rams were 3rd from the bottom in rushing defense, that was inexcusable. And now we're facing the #1 defense in the league. We need to control the clock and keep Stafford/Megatron off the field as much as possible.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering that the Rams were 3rd from the bottom in rushing defense, that was inexcusable. And now we're facing the #1 defense in the league. We need to control the clock and keep Stafford/Megatron off the field as much as possible.

I feel like the Rams stats are all misleading. That is a monstrous defensive group especially in the box and one of the best defensive minds in the game leading it. Their season has been very odd in so many ways. I don't want to downplay how bad the blocking was, but I think at least some of the credit needs to go to the Rams.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I feel like the Rams stats are all misleading. That is a monstrous defensive group especially in the box and one of the best defensive minds in the game leading it. Their season has been very odd in so many ways. I don't want to downplay how bad the blocking was, but I think at least some of the credit needs to go to the Rams.

The putrid rushing total yesterday wasn't just about the blocking... unfortunately... :(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This is 100% truth. It isn't our ability to win that got hurt with Palmer, it is our ability to win playoff games and the Super Bowl.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

This is 100% truth. It isn't our ability to win that got hurt with Palmer, it is our ability to win playoff games and the Super Bowl.

See I agree with this on premise but then rewind and realize that you are essentially stating that you feel MORE comfortable with Palmer in that scenario? And why? Because of a decent but not great 13 game run?

Listen I am not going to disparage the guy but at end of day he is still Carson Palmer. Prone to bad INTs at the worst times. No playoff wins. Gets injured at really bad times. I mean who is to say Stanton ISNT the better option for playoff football? He protects the ball better. Is more mobile. And it seems liek out offense moves more consistently with him.

First off Green Bay and Philly are horribly horribly overatted. Screw both those nacho soft teams. Even subpar QB play can beat them both with our defense and special teams. I honestly believe that.

I would be MUCH more worried about home playoff games against the NFC West. The NFC West is still far and away the best division when you line em all up and none of those other teams scare me in the least. Like at all. The NFC is absolute s***.

I want to see Stanton two weeks from now. That game (win or lose) will tell me all I need to know.

Till then I have full confidence in BA and maybe he makes Stanton our Tom Brady.

Improbable? Maybe.

But what about this season so far has made sense? I have been 10/10 for Cards predictions this year ( defense fine with all the losses, maybe we have best HC in NFL, Palmer = Warner lite, I am a known Kool Aid drinker) and STILL have been about 50% off from the over the moon actual results that have happened.

Sometimes its just your year. I am going to believe that until I have reason to believe otherwise.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Palmer hasn't won playoff games, but Imo he was are best chance to go deep & possible SB run. Stanton has been ok but to believe he is going to take us to the promised land is wishful thinking at best! We will have a good season and get beat by a team with a real starting caliber QB in the playoffs unfortunately.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
AZF's psychology is fascinating some times. Drew Stanton is not yet completing 50% of his passes as a quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals.

Very little about the way that the Cards have been winning is sustainable, but winning football games when your quarterback is completing less than half of his passes seems like a pretty good indicator that your success is not going to be sustainable, particularly when the quality of the opponent defenses increases.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Palmer but hasn't he won just as many playoff games as Stanton?

...If you can't see the difference between Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton at QB, there isn't much I can say here to you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
See I agree with this on premise but then rewind and realize that you are essentially stating that you feel MORE comfortable with Palmer in that scenario? And why? Because of a decent but not great 13 game run?

Listen I am not going to disparage the guy but at end of day he is still Carson Palmer. Prone to bad INTs at the worst times. No playoff wins. Gets injured at really bad times. I mean who is to say Stanton ISNT the better option for playoff football? He protects the ball better. Is more mobile. And it seems liek out offense moves more consistently with him.

First off Green Bay and Philly are horribly horribly overatted. Screw both those nacho soft teams. Even subpar QB play can beat them both with our defense and special teams. I honestly believe that.

I would be MUCH more worried about home playoff games against the NFC West. The NFC West is still far and away the best division when you line em all up and none of those other teams scare me in the least. Like at all. The NFC is absolute s***.

I want to see Stanton two weeks from now. That game (win or lose) will tell me all I need to know.

Till then I have full confidence in BA and maybe he makes Stanton our Tom Brady.

Improbable? Maybe.

But what about this season so far has made sense? I have been 10/10 for Cards predictions this year ( defense fine with all the losses, maybe we have best HC in NFL, Palmer = Warner lite, I am a known Kool Aid drinker) and STILL have been about 50% off from the over the moon actual results that have happened.

Sometimes its just your year. I am going to believe that until I have reason to believe otherwise.

Palmer makes throws that Stanton just can't in terms of read and accuracy. Palmer gives us the ability to get everything out of any given play, while Stanton is lucky to get what they play is designed to get. Palmer gives us one more way to win games while Stanton gives us one more way to lose games.

In the end, Palmer gives us the ability to overcome more than Stanton does. As far as Green Bay and Philly being overrated...umm how? Both are plus offenses designed to put points on the board, wear out defenses, and put pressure on the opposing QB to score TDs not FGs. Our offense has had consistency issues before Palmer got injured. We are not getting more consistent with Stanton in, and our defense struggles to get pressure on the QB without blitzing which the Eagles, Broncos, and Chargers have already exploited this year. It isn't about being under or over rated, it is about matchups. With Stanton in, we have less room for error vs these teams which are already matchuop issues.

Last edited: