Sources: Hawks Hot After Amare..

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is all preliminary, but according to Stephan A. Smith, who twittered a few minutes ago, The Atlanta Hawks have emerged as a leading team who is after Amare Stoudemire hard..

Sources have said that Hawks Management have come to the conclusion that they will not be able to take the next step without a bonifide superstar and believe Amare would resign in the ATL..

No details were given as to the possible deal, but all those who are expecting Josh Smith to be part of it, can forget about it, because it is not happening.. Smith can not be traded until August, and he has a 7 million dollar Trade Kicker, something Sarver would not pay if it meant he was landing LeBron, let alone Josh Smith...

I believe a this trade would work financially, and would make some sense

Suns Trade:
Amare

Suns Receive:
Al Horford
Marvin Williams
Maurice Evans

The Hawks get a chance to add Amare with Smith and JJ, along with Vets Mike Bibby and Speedy CLaxton while the Suns add a young Stud in Horford, a solid rotation player in Williams, Evans contract is expiring, and at #17 we can add a pretty good piece to the puzzle, and jump start our rebuilding process...

Amare will bolt as a F.A. anyway, so while giving him away for nothing is stupid, I believe a deal like this is legit, and for Amare at this point is as good as we can get...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This would be almost as good as the Minny trade, and you could argue that it may be better. (Which is why it'll never happen) I'd do your proposed trade in a second, but I doubt the Hawks would.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This would be almost as good as the Minny trade, and you could argue that it may be better. (Which is why it'll never happen) I'd do your proposed trade in a second, but I doubt the Hawks would.

haha.. you may be right, I may still be drinking the kool-aid for Amare's worth...

But any deal with the HAwks HAS to start with Horford, and according to hoopshype, without including Williams it would be almost impossible to make the saleries match...

In the same preposed deal, exect we include the #14 pick, so basically the Hawks are trading up 3 spots in the draft, would make things a little more even, IMO, but outside of that there isn't much else that could be a possibility for a trade between these two teams..

again its another rumor, but Stephan A Smith has a good feel for the HAwks, and when it comes to ATL, he ususally knows what he is talking about, so I would put a little more stock into this rumor as opposed to others...

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
just checked out his twitter. why is he always so racialy charged?

amare is worth horford and williams. anything less is ridiculous. and tbh, i really wouldnt want smith here. guy just doesnt have his head on straight.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Atlanta wants the trade, if there really are talks, because their last big time player they got from the Suns worked out pretty well for them. ;)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No more lotto protected pics from Atlanta!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I don't buy it.......Stephan A. Smith is usually wrong. I hope he is right this time though, I would do that trade in a second.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a lame rumor, i doubt it happens.

If atlanta trades anyone, its Josh Smith

scotsman13

Reaction score
all i have to say to this trade is no thank you. horford and scabs dont come close to amare. and if you think that amare is just going to ride away into to the sunset and take less money to play for other teams you are sorely mistaken.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't buy it.......Stephan A. Smith is usually wrong. I hope he is right this time though, I would do that trade in a second.

Really? In a second? Is Horford that much of a stud? What did he average 11 and 9 in 34 minutes last year? Is Williams or Evans that great? And the 17 in a diluted draft class? It just seems like we're trading quality for quantity to me with this deal.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet my life we don't trade Amare always big trade rumors going around draft day and like 1 percent of them happens. But if we do trade Amare we better as hell get eqal value for him. Can't wait till draft day GO SUNS. But I would not mind getting Hordford he is a talented player :).

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What trade? I'm not entirely sure, but the proposed trade was that of the thread author not Stephen A. Smith, Right? There's no way Atlanta gives up Horford, Willaims, Evans, and the 17 for Amare. I agree with Shzm13; the only players Atlanta is moving for Amare are Smith, scrubs, and maybe a pick.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of Josh Smith's contract status either. An August trade restriction sounds odd as free agency and contracts usually expire in July (the 1st I believe). I believe he is BYC (which means only 50% of his new salary would count in the trade), and I'm not sure when that status expires. I would guess July.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You know what would be hilarious? If Smith actually got something right, right after ESPN finally found the stones to can his sorry ass.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hawks ideal big man next to Stoudemire is Horford...

It'll have to be Smith + package of salary + No.17 if it goes down.

I would think if the trade of Horford + No.17 + fillers for Stoudemire goes down... That would be almost as good as the Wolves proposal (not never was). Horford is good for 15/11/2 a game while being a pretty good defender.
No.17, Suns can add to No.14 and hopefully Daye or Williams is still there.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What trade? I'm not entirely sure, but the proposed trade was that of the thread author not Stephen A. Smith, Right? There's no way Atlanta gives up Horford, Willaims, Evans, and the 17 for Amare. I agree with Shzm13; the only players Atlanta is moving for Amare are Smith, scrubs, and maybe a pick.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of Josh Smith's contract status either. An August trade restriction sounds odd as free agency and contracts usually expire in July (the 1st I believe). I believe he is BYC (which means only 50% of his new salary would count in the trade), and I'm not sure when that status expires. I would guess July.

Yes that was a proposed trade by the author and NOT from Smith or any other source regarding details of the trade...

Because the Hawks matched the Memphis offer sheet he can not be trade for a year, which expires in August Lang Whitaker explains it here:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/bl...links-why-the-hawks-arent-trading-josh-smith/

Secondly that his trade kicker which was been reported at anywhere from 6-7 million would have to be paid immediatly upon the trade meaning IF he was traded in August, his 2009 salary would be about 18 million..

Do you REALLY want to pay Josh Smith 18 million next year and then 42 million over the following 3 years?? nope...

So its nice to talke about Josh Smith being a Sun, but I don't see any way it happends...

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I don't like that deal at all. Williams=bust, Horford=soft, #17 pick=rotation player at best IMO. None of those guys are players you can build around.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't like that deal at all. Williams=bust, Horford=soft, #17 pick=rotation player at best IMO. None of those guys are players you can build around.
Williams is a solid rotation guy and able to step into a starting role if necessary(not worth his 2nd overall draft selection but a good player), Horford is a young "Cambyesque" guy thats still getting better....just needs to stay healthy, and having an extra draft pick is never a bad thing.
I'd consider this deal.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, Marvin Williams is a solid 6'9 player with enough athletism to be "decent".
He puts up 15/5 on a team where he gets little offensive touches I can only imagine him to be a Deng-type player, he is still getting better too.

Horford is unlucky to be injured but is a hard working big man defender and has the nose for the rebound.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Stoudemires worth alot more than you guys are saying.. why is noone talking about a top 5 lottery pick and a couple of these so called "Players" for Amare??? He's totally worth it- though I have no faith in Kerr-Sarver and dislike the Suns since Colangelo left.. they lost alot of professionalism.
They need to trade Nash, trade Shaq, but get enough for them not get "Bent over"....

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Atlanta will not, repeat, NOT, trade for Amare without shipping out Josh Smith. That's pretty much the end of story.

Turn around, find another rumor.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Stoudemires worth alot more than you guys are saying.. why is noone talking about a top 5 lottery pick and a couple of these so called "Players" for Amare???

There is a reason for that. He simply isn't worth much now. As great an offensive player as he is, he is on a one year deal, he plays no defense and he is injury prone. Oh, and he also wants a max deal. It's pretty obvious why his trade value isn't great now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I bet my life we don't trade Amare always big trade rumors going around draft day and like 1 percent of them happens. But if we do trade Amare we better as hell get eqal value for him. Can't wait till draft day GO SUNS. But I would not mind getting Hordford he is a talented player :).

I think the last time I watched the draft, the Celtics traded for Ray Allen on draft day, and Kevin Garnett right before! Trades rarely happen! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen