Sorry for another post-game thoughts thread...

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But these are mine:

• Matt Leinart is going to be fine. The Saints played a lot of cover-three and cover-four defenses, which is why he didn't go deep. You take what they give you; this is certainly what Whis wants Leinart to do.
  • I was impressed with Hightower, even if he almost got his quarterback eliminated. Edge still has a job for another season.
  • I think the depth that we imagined for this team might be overrated. I'd forgotten that Matt Ware is terrible and that has no place in any defensive package. I don't think we'll see much of that 2CB/4S set that features Adrian Wilson at linebacker and Rolle, Ware, and Francisco covering the deep middle. Aaron Francisco's career might well be over after his contract runs out, he was so terrible tonight.
  • The linebacking corps looks solid. I know that people are hating on Karlos Dansby's play, but he seemed like he was getting his nose in there quite a bit.
  • Came away very impressed with DRC. He hit with all 187 lbs on that tight end, and his coverage was tight enough that Brunell and Palko never really challenged him. He also makes a ton of effort in punt coverage units.
  • The offensive line has not improved much so far, and the depth is not good at all. On too many replays I saw Elton Brown blocking no one at all.
  • I hope no one's happy with the depth behind DRC at cornerback. Tavarious Bain and Michael Adams were embarrassments not only to the Cards, but to the entire NFL.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree all the way around.

But these are mine:

• Matt Leinart is going to be fine. The Saints played a lot of cover-three and cover-four defenses, which is why he didn't go deep. You take what they give you; this is certainly what Whis wants Leinart to do. Agreed, he stood strong in the face of a pass rush tonight, and showed more poise than he did last year.
  • I was impressed with Hightower, even if he almost got his quarterback eliminated. Edge still has a job for another season. But it'll be pretty cool to have Hightower help. We've all heard a number of times how Pass Pro is the hardest thing for a rookie RB to learn to do. Clearly Hightower proved the rule.
  • I think the depth that we imagined for this team might be overrated. I'd forgotten that Matt Ware is terrible and that has no place in any defensive package. I don't think we'll see much of that 2CB/4S set that features Adrian Wilson at linebacker and Rolle, Ware, and Francisco covering the deep middle. Aaron Francisco's career might well be over after his contract runs out, he was so terrible tonight. We'll see how actual Dline pressure helps them out, I still want to see the formation in a real game, but I agree Matt Ware looked horrid. Fransico was marginally better, just because he can actually tackle.
  • The linebacking corps looks solid. I know that people are hating on Karlos Dansby's play, but he seemed like he was getting his nose in there quite a bit. He was around the ball a lot, but clearly these pre-season games mean less than nothing to him. I'm fine with that if he shows up for the regular season.
  • Came away very impressed with DRC. He hit with all 187 lbs on that tight end, and his coverage was tight enough that Brunell and Palko never really challenged him. He also makes a ton of effort in punt coverage units. Very excited, but I want to see him challenged often before the regular season. For some reason when I think Cardinal CB's I get cold flashes and picture Duane Starks. He was always right there, but always too short. I want a new assosiation and Hood and DCR may finally free me.
  • The offensive line has not improved much so far, and the depth is not good at all. On too many replays I saw Elton Brown blocking no one at all. Check Sendlein, who played that game a lot too. Or check out Deuce getting his hands on DT's and still letting them do whatever the heck they want.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Let's back the "poise" train up for now. I've seen this on a few different posts and I don't see how it's possible to have poise in a meaningless preseason game against a bad defense that's playing soft. Leinart didn't implode or hurt his situation but the only thing that could have been taken from his performance was if he played badly. A scripted, safe, low risk gameplan is what they wanted him to run and he did.

Hightower looked impressive though.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But these are mine:
Matt Leinart is going to be fine. The Saints played a lot of cover-three and cover-four defenses, which is why he didn't go deep. You take what they give you; this is certainly what Whis wants Leinart to do.

I thought Matt did a very good job out there, composed and good footwork in the pocket. Levi disappeared and got him sacked once but he was doing the right thing in stepping up into the rush and if Levi hadn't got beat he'd have had a throw then. Overall he managed the game well and led a TD drive. Good showing for The Future.

He keeps it up he will be The Current as well, with no problems.

I was impressed with Hightower, even if he almost got his quarterback eliminated. Edge still has a job for another season.

Hightower really impressed me. He has really good vision and even better, he has REALLY good feet. His size is good back there too. He picked up a rusher early own, albeit awkwardly, but he did the job. He'll have to work on pass pro, but he's a keeper and a half. A steal in the fifth round and if he develops, he's starter potential. He's gonna be fun as hell to watch..seems like the crowd is already in his corner.

Aaron Francisco's career might well be over after his contract runs out, he was so terrible tonight.

Terribly unimpressed by a guy who used to have my eye. He has really fallen off. He was getting killed by the backups' backups.

The linebacking corps looks solid. I know that people are hating on Karlos Dansby's play, but he seemed like he was getting his nose in there quite a bit.

The LB and the DL can't be judged at this point, IMO, in the vanilla world of preseason. The 3-4 is a blitzing scheme, and with preseason, you can't really judge them. They had a lot of pressure even without blitz packages. I am optimistic for the DL and backers, but I'm always a smiley side kind of guy.

Came away very impressed with DRC. He hit with all 187 lbs on that tight end, and his coverage was tight enough that Brunell and Palko never really challenged him. He also makes a ton of effort in punt coverage units.

The hit on the TE was money...I didn't think that DRC could bring it like that. It really opened my eyes. Rolle also had a nice hit on a catch that was for a first down, but he leveled the WR...that is what a FS needs to do. If you can't jump the play, you must STICK the man with the ball. Rolle did. DRC stuck that TE as well. This secondary is going to be a hard hitting unit. I like that. They will get beat, but they will make you pay for the first down. The more they make you pay, the less you will want to convert. This will work...but it is going to take time.

The offensive line has not improved much so far, and the depth is not good at all. On too many replays I saw Elton Brown blocking no one at all.

I wasn't impressed with the browns at all. Levi blew a block that led to a sack and Elton was a shell. Sendlein (sp?) was very solid though...I was very impressed with him, as I have been all along.

I hope no one's happy with the depth behind DRC at cornerback. Tavarious Bain and Michael Adams were embarrassments not only to the Cards, but to the entire NFL.

true, but this is an improvement over the STARTERS being embarrassing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's back the "poise" train up for now. I've seen this on a few different posts and I don't see how it's possible to have poise in a meaningless preseason game against a bad defense that's playing soft. Leinart didn't implode or hurt his situation but the only thing that could have been taken from his performance was if he played badly. A scripted, safe, low risk gameplan is what they wanted him to run and he did.

And you are sad we didn't see some Warner. We get it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

There we at least 4 plays where a defensemen was breathing down Leinart's throat and he made a good pass.

Thus he had poise in the pocket. You can deny it, but you can also be wrong.

He was almost perfect, except for JJ Arrington droping a pass that hit him in the hands.

Hate all you want. Leinart ran the offense well last night. Even if it is just a preseason game he looked good.

Leinart has to been told to earn his spot and that is what he is doing SO FAR. Still a month towards the season, but as of right now he is doing what he is supposed to do.

OP
OP
D

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The other thing that I liked about Leinart is that he showed superior movement to Warner on his bootlegs/sprint-outs. Those were designed roll-outs, and Leinart did a good job executing them.

Another good point that I noted was that Deuce Lutui made Sedrick Ellis disappear. There's no question that when he's interested, Deuce can play very well. He has to bring that intensity when he's not facing off against a fellow Trojan.

Alan Branch was terrible. Looked like he belonged with the second unit and never demanded a double-team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There we at least 4 plays where a defensemen was breathing down Leinart's throat and he made a good pass.

Thus he had poise in the pocket. You can deny it, but you can also be wrong.

He was almost perfect, except for JJ Arrington droping a pass that hit him in the hands.

Hate all you want. Leinart ran the offense well last night. Even if it is just a preseason game he looked good.

Leinart has to been told to earn his spot and that is what he is doing SO FAR. Still a month towards the season, but as of right now he is doing what he is supposed to do.

Yep JJ's drop(and he immediately said my bad) was it otherwise Matt was on target all game. Jaws said the sack was on Matt we'll have to take his word that he could have gotten rid of the ball to someone, what I saw was a QB tryign to step up but Brown got beaten so badly he couldn't get away.

Matt looked smooth he looked like he knew where to go and when, looked like a much more confident QB.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
On the drive in, a caller was complaining about Matt taking check down after check down --

I think that this is probably the genetic difference between Leinart and Warner--

Warner will hold and hold waiting for something down the field to open -- this leads to more big plays down the field, but also more interceptions / sacks / fumbles.

I think the Leinart led offense wont score as many points as a Warner led offense, but also wont turn the ball over as many times.

I also think it will make the fans crazy-- griping about unimpressive 17-13 wins and hating 20-16 type losses.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I was getting irritated at first but now I just have to laugh at all the people who are walking away marginializing Leinart and saying his performance means nothing and that he sucks.

How you could actually watch the game and not come away happy and excited with how he played means you have an agenda.

I'm looking at you 82 and Mokler.

Haters - they going to hate.......

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
More love for Leinart.

Mokler please don't read as I don't want to be responsible for your head exploding:)

Bordow: Leinart shows what he can do when comfortable

Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

Matt Leinart couldn’t go anywhere Thursday night without ESPN’s cameras following him. The cable network knew a good story when it saw one.

Leinart’s job — and reputation — are on the line this season.
http://blogs.evtrib.com/bordowssportsblog

He has to fight off Kurt Warner — which he’ll do unless he gets hurt — then put to rest the perception he’s a party animal first and a football player second.

Leinart took the first step in rehabilitating his image in the Cardinals’ 24-10 loss to the New Orleans Saints at University of Phoenix Stadium.
His numbers — 7 of 8 for 91 yards — weren’t as impressive as the way he accumulated them.

He was accurate with his throws. He was patient in the pocket. He never seemed anxious or confused about where to go with the ball, as was the case so often last year.

Simply put, he looked comfortable.

“It was very encouraging,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “It’s good to see Matt do that in a game situation.”

It is, of course, August. Leinart didn’t completely blot out his past.
Still, it was hard not to be impressed by his maturity and improved grasp of the Cardinals’ offense.

Leinart didn’t force the ball downfield or throw into coverage. He was more than willing to check down and hit secondary receivers for short gains.
He also showed off his stronger arm with a 23-yard laser to Jamaica Rector as he moved right to avoid the rush. That’s not an easy throw for a left-handed quarterback to make.

Leinart’s best moment, however, was a 34-yard completion to Steve Breaston late in the first quarter. Leinart hung in the pocket as the Saints converged on him, giving Breaston enough time to get open on a short crossing pattern.

“Instead of worrying about the rush, he was confident in what was coming at him and also what the play was,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s a good sign.”

It’s really no surprise that Leinart is growing up. Not enough was made of the fact he had to learn a new offensive system last season. That’s tough enough for a veteran, much less a second-year quarterback.

Now, the offense comes instinctively. Leinart no longer wonders what his reads are or where the ball is supposed to go.

“When you’re comfortable and you know what you’re doing, the game slows down a little bit,” Leinart said.

“When you trust what you know and what you study and what you prepare for, it makes it a lot easier. That’s kind of my mind-set right now.”
Looking over his shoulder at Warner also has been good for Leinart.
Whisenhunt believes Leinart needs to be pushed and prodded. Just by his presence, Warner is doing that.

“It’s motivation,” Leinart said. “It keeps me working hard and makes me better.”

In case you’re wondering, Warner sat out because Whisenhunt didn’t want to risk his health behind the Cardinals’ second-string offensive line.
Warner likely will play Aug. 16 at Kansas City, but don’t think it’s his chance to impress the coaching staff and unseat Leinart.

The decision has been made. Barring injury, Leinart will start the season opener against San Francisco on Sept. 7.

And trust me when I say this: You’ll be surprised at just how good he is.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was getting irritated at first but now I just have to laugh at all the people who are walking away marginializing Leinart and saying his performance means nothing and that he sucks.

How you could actually watch the game and not come away happy and excited with how he played means you have an agenda.

I'm looking at you 82 and Mokler.

Haters - they going to hate.......

Leinart looked good but I take nothing from this as far as the season goes. I am not ready to anoint him the QB of the future. It should have given him some confidence which is very important. I assume Warner must have some small injury. Hightower looked better than I expected. What this game seemed to show is that N.O. has a better second team and third team than we do. Meaning depth. In a long season depth is going to play a big part of success or no success. Can we be better than last year's 8/8? This game did not tell me one way or the other. I am sure the coaches got to see many things that we could not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart looked good but I take nothing from this as far as the season goes. I am not ready to anoint him the QB of the future. It should have given him some confidence which is very important. I assume Warner must have some small injury. Hightower looked better than I expected. What this game seemed to show is that N.O. has a better second team and third team than we do. Meaning depth. In a long season depth is going to play a big part of success or no success. Can we be better than last year's 8/8? This game did not tell me one way or the other. I am sure the coaches got to see many things that we could not.

Take away one long run after catch wtih horrible tackling and our 2nd and 3rd teams held court with theirs, both were pretty bad.

I still can't believe Meachem scored on that play.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you've got 300 pound men trying to break you in half and you don't freak out, but actually go through progressions, that's poise.

I agree that it's not enough to say he's rock-solid yet, but come on. Credit where credit is due.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Dont want to read all of the other threads that probably say about the same thing and dont think I should make a whole new thread either so I will piggy back off of this one.

1. I think Penalties will be a problem for a second straight year.
2. I think special teams could be a problem on Kickoff Returns because no one seems to be in a place to make a play, Punt returns because our Punter gets zero hang time even though DRC still go to his point before the ball even landed which was impressive, Kickoff returns just done seem all that well blocked for the return man.
3. Fransisco was used and abused. Gives it his all but his read and recognition is a step short and a second to late every time, ZERO ball skills, and his tackling is overrated. Was draggged by a RB one play and on a nother where the RB almost got a TD while running on the sidelines Fransisco t-bone tackled the RB and bounced right off, and tackles with his head down.
4. I liked most of the youngs for the most part -
A. DRC isnt afraid to mix it up, split the blockers as a gunner on punt coverage ever time, still needs work but promising.
B. Campbell was in the backfield most of the day, good stout play in the goal line stance, minus the one bad penalty played very well.
C. Iwebema was very active.
D. Highsmith plays faster then his timed speed. Plays with his feet underneath him which makes for good quickness. Needs to learn how to recieve and pass protect better. Also needs to stop stutter stepping so much. Both those are small things.
E. Harrington, for learning a brand new position for him he didnt do all that bad. Decent in about everything he did. Could use some seasoning but for learning a new position as a rookie didnt do half bad.
F. Maybe Highsmith is one of those players that plays better then he practices.

5. Fitz wasnt afraid to mix it up. Saw him blocking twice and blocking well. Got himself into a scrum no less.
6. Matt looked way more comfortable and his footwork much improved getting much deeper into his drops like he should be.

Other then that nothing really else caught my eye. For some players that is probably a good thing and for others that is probably a bad thing.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DRC isnt afraid to mix it up
I think this is going to be a problem. With his frame, he needs to be a deion-esque "tackler." We didn't pick him to be a hitter, we picked him to be a cover-corner.

His size and frame still scares the hell out of me for fear of injury.

That said, great hit on the prone TE.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I agree that it's not enough to say he's rock-solid yet, but come on. Credit where credit is due.
That works both ways. Leinart was fine and did what he was supposed to do. Not get hurt and complete a few passes to get himself back on the horse. Somehow interpreting that as showing great poise is too much. Leinart didn't do anything to sustain any doubts(see: Chicago QB's) but he wasn't brave or heroic or even poised. He's a freakin' NFL QB and shouldn't even blink about what he faced last night. He was unmolested on most of his pass attempts and one of the times he did get pressure, he held the ball too long and took a sack. "Poise" is a gratuitous adjective for how he performed.

He didn't implode, let's move on.

Hightower is the guy that I'm looking forward to seeing get more carries. It's premature to think he might be a good RB but he seemed to have "it" the times that I saw him run. Someone mentioned Marion Barber and I wouldn't disagree. He's got some real burst and pop and looks like a mean runner. I certainly see why they thought it was okay to release Shipp.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was unmolested on most of his pass attempts and one of the times he did get pressure, he held the ball too long and took a sack.

Please. He moved around in the pocket for starters, and on the sack he didn't hold the ball too long. Levi simply let a guy waltz right past him.

LOL at the idea that the sack was because he "held the ball too long."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is going to be a problem. With his frame, he needs to be a deion-esque "tackler." We didn't pick him to be a hitter, we picked him to be a cover-corner.

His size and frame still scares the hell out of me for fear of injury.

That said, great hit on the prone TE.
His size and frame prolly scares Mark Campbell now as well. I never thought I would see DCR or DRC blow up the TE.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
LOL at the idea that the sack was because he "held the ball too long."
Jaworski commented on him holding the ball too long during the game as well but whatever. Leinart was poised, heroic was perfect and proved that he's NFL ready and will definitely be a pro-bowl QB for the Cardinals for the next 15 years. They should sit him the rest of the preseason to remove the risk of injury and opposing teams should save themselves the trouble and just concede 7 points each time the Cardinals are going on offense because Matt Leinart has become a deity that is above making the mistakes that all mortal QB's make and the Cardinals will score anyway.

I hope that's enough praise for Leinart because I don't have the time to learn any new languages to further the word of Leinart's divinity.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaws said he held the ball too long on that play. Said Lionheart looked good otherwise.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaworski commented on him holding the ball too long during the game as well but whatever. Leinart was poised, heroic was perfect and proved that he's NFL ready and will definitely be a pro-bowl QB for the Cardinals for the next 15 years. They should sit him the rest of the preseason to remove the risk of injury and opposing teams should save themselves the trouble and just concede 7 points each time the Cardinals are going on offense because Matt Leinart has become a deity that is above making the mistakes that all mortal QB's make and the Cardinals will score anyway.

I hope that's enough praise for Leinart because I don't have the time to learn any new languages to further the word of Leinart's divinity.

Matt is hardly divine around here. Lots and lots of people are not sold on him and criticize him.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I know it seems dumb, but I wonder how much last season's lack of confidence from Matt stemmed from throwing a pick with his first official attempt of the season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn