So much for the Eagles

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
For all the hype about the great moves by the Eagles, they look pretty pathetic tonight. I was surprised to learn that their new DC was an offensive coach. To say the least, a bold move by Reid. As Buck noted, the Eagles utilized DRC in a new and probably not appropriate role.
The Las Vegas odds for an Eagle Super Bowl are bound to change after tonight.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is hardly their obituary.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who the hell takes the second game of the preseason like its bs? BS!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who the hell takes the second game of the preseason like its bs? BS!

Every team in the NFL takes them that way. The only game in PS that is somewhat treated like a reg season game is game #3

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's pre season

Chill

I can only imagine how their message board looks

You must be registered for see images

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every team in the NFL takes them that way. The only game in PS that is somewhat treated like a reg season game is game #3

I would agree with you in every other year except 2011. There is no time to evaluate rookies with the lockout. I predict starters go 2 full quarters.

Just sayin'

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's just preseason.

It's almost opposite world, although when we played the Packers they mauled us and then went on to win it all not that year but next year you could see how good they were.

They just flat out destroyed us for most of the game with starters vs starters.

Most of the time you can't tell anything by preseason.

OP
OP
P

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
This is hardly their obituary.

Of course its not their obituary. But I suspect that Reid is more than a little concerned about the poor performance of his first teams.

Perhaps no one takes the second pre-season game seriously but I'll bet there will be numerous posts tomorrow night after the Cardinals game with what people consider serious comments.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately for the Eagles the Paper Championship is more prestigious than the Super Bown Championship.

However, Dallas hopes to reclaim their Paper Championship sometime next May.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps no one takes the second pre-season game seriously but I'll bet there will be numerous posts tomorrow night after the Cardinals game with what people consider serious comments.

Absolutely..There will people here jumping off a cliff tomorrow if we show poorly. All for not too.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
No one should take preseason seriously.

Didn't we win all our preseason games one year only to be like one of the worst teams in the NFL that year?

Good teams use it for what it is, just tryouts and tune ups

Every year I have to remind my wife of this, she was nearly despondent over the Chiefs getting mauled their first game by Tampa Bay.

It just dosen't matter, it just dosen't matter, if you get out of it without injury you've accomplished all you need to accomplish.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No one should take preseason seriously.

Didn't we win all our preseason games one year only to be like one of the worst teams in the NFL that year?

Good teams use it for what it is, just tryouts and tune ups

Every year I have to remind my wife of this, she was nearly despondent over the Chiefs getting mauled their first game by Tampa Bay.

It just dosen't matter, it just dosen't matter, if you get out of it without injury you've accomplished all you need to accomplish.
Yup.

2003 we went 4-0 in preseason. 4-12 the regular season

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Constantly, throughout the game they split out their NT from the 0 or/and 1 technique out to the 3 technique. While keeping the other DT in same position on the other side. Thus, both DT were lined up over the guards and shaded outside. DE were split out wider than usual. Nobody was close to the Center.

That's why they were able to run at them so well. At one point Big Ben even called an audible and just run right up the gut with the C pulling in front of him, I guess even he/they were tired of it, they wanted the Eagles to come in more of a traditional look. I don't think they are going to run this alignment in a regular season game. Besides obvious passing downs, especially on 3rd downs.

It did put some good pressure on the QB at times, but at time it also failed more than not. The good thing about it was that the NT was never doubled by the C/G in the initial part of the pass rush, which means he was able to get downfield and push the pocket so deep (Usually he is stopped immediately at the LOS by the double team). I guess what they wanted was to help their DE's in that way, to push the guards up the field so much. The bad thing, as I saw it yesterday, was that the C on other hand was more free to roam and help out on both sides (both G's) if needed later during the protection. This created good pass protection. The geometry of the pocket was definitely much different because of this, but i'm not sure if it was a success.

This is a good game to try things like these. It's experimental on both sides of football. Lebeau tested many different blitz packages while some of the best stuff, he would never show. While the Eagles didn't blitz as much, they tested this unusual alignment of the D-Line and whether it would help the rush but be somewhat acceptable against the run. They would never do this once the regular season starts on every down basis. Maybe, Steelers would call one or two of these blitzes from yesterday, especially those that worked out against a given alignment.

I guess there are many stuff they would never call in a preseason game, the stuff that they are sure about works well in practice and that they feel confident about will work just as well in a real game. What they can't evaluate so well in practice, they need to test in preseason, even though they reveal it for all other teams.

Also, that's why the Eagles LB's looked "bad", especially inside LB. This was all due to Center being unblocked most of the game.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
With all that being said, I still think they are much better on paper, than on gameday. Maybe they go to playoffs, but with Vick as QB, you can never go to superbowl and win it, he is a huge liability. He is not a pocket passer and good teams will absolutely force you to beat them from the pocket, under pressure. It works in regular season, but never against the best defenses in playoffs.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
And Mike Kafka is the one we should have traded for. Mike Kafka is the one we should have drafted in the first place.

He is looking REALLY good.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
And Mike Kafka is the one we should have traded for. Mike Kafka is the one we should have drafted in the first place.

He is looking REALLY good.
Didn't Max Hall look good in pre-season. The Colts have won 10+ games about 8-10 years running. The best bet in football is bet against them in pre-season. They're usually pretty much a lock to go 0-4. The only thing the pre-season shows is, not who's good individually, but who is really bad individually. Buster Davis comes to mind. Anyone could see he was completely overmatched. Any QB on an NFL roster should be able to pick apart the garbage that is out there in the second half of pre-season games.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't Max Hall look good in pre-season. The Colts have won 10+ games about 8-10 years running. The best bet in football is bet against them in pre-season. They're usually pretty much a lock to go 0-4. The only thing the pre-season shows is, not who's good individually, but who is really bad individually. Buster Davis comes to mind. Anyone could see he was completely overmatched. Any QB on an NFL roster should be able to pick apart the garbage that is out there in the second half of pre-season games.

My whole first post was about not to take the preseason too seriously and also explained why I think so. Don't know, but seems you haven't read that. However, something can be extracted, some certain situations. That's why they play it, among other things.

One is how well he steps into the pocket with the rush outside. That was awesome, preseason or not, and no, 3rd and 2nd and even many 1st don't show that even in regular season. Stuff like that can translate more than not.

Many players that play great in preseason also play well later on. Some don't translate at all like you point out, some do. It's about finding the situations and evaluating the tapes in the right manner.

There is no doubt that he played alot better than Vince Young for example, that was in very similar situation yesterday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One thing you can take for sure out of the preseason games is how few people actually have the talent to be quality NFL players. Amazing how fast the talent level drops off.

I also keep hearing that coaches don't want to show the real stuff in pre season but I heard a coach on the radio when asked about not showing his blitz packages say that it really didn't matter because their was already plenty of film available.

So I wonder which is correct. Maybe both? You don't care about showing schemes you've used before but don't want to show new ones you may have devised during the off season?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
For all the hype about the great moves by the Eagles, they look pretty pathetic tonight. I was surprised to learn that their new DC was an offensive coach. To say the least, a bold move by Reid. As Buck noted, the Eagles utilized DRC in a new and probably not appropriate role.
The Las Vegas odds for an Eagle Super Bowl are bound to change after tonight.

I am still scratching my head about this. I can't figure out how this guy got the job over other candidates. Has this ever happened before, with someone switching sides of the ball to immediately become a coordinator?