So are we on the train of thought....

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
No matter what you think of the causes, this is now almost a complete rebuild project. Some of the best players won't want in, unless some serious talent is brought in and it's questionable if it will even be available to this team under these circumstances of uncompetitiveness. They need a big signing and a few other above average ones to get the rest to buy in that it's going to get much better and that the offense will be able to pull out games and move with consistency.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This was what Wilks sold with his hiring, and it's not true anymore. The Rams are 29th in rushing defense DVOA. Kansas City is 32nd.

Do you really not think that Wilks said/thought he could get the most out of these young players — two first-round picks in Bucannon (who was at least average under the old regime) and Reddick?

I thought the Cards got the second-best FA QB available in Bradford?

So, would Bruce Arians have lead this team to 4 wins? I think that we all would have accepted a 6-win season with competitive games. That's not what we're getting right now.

I once saw a stat that showed that Super Bowl teams are usually actually better at stopping the pass than the run and that goes all the back to the Vince Lombardi days.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
With Wilks, this team might win 3 games. He's a very bad coach.

With an average coach, this might be a 6-win team. Say... Jay Gruden.

With an above-average coach — say, Bruce Arians — this team would have 8 wins.

Keim was right that this is a re-loading team, but it's not so bad that it should be bottoming out. They might have to be now because of Wilks. They went from the 49ers after Harbaugh to the 49ers after Tomsula.

I agree with your statement but I can't help but wonder if it is preferable to finish with 5 wins, 8 wins or 2 wins.

I think there was a year with whizenhunt at the helm and at one point the team was 2-7 or 2-8. It looked like the team was going to lose out. They didn't and finished 7-9 or maybe 8-8. I remember being at a Seattle game that Skelton was maybe starting and I think we win in overtime. At the time I thought the wins were important for the following season. Now, I'm not so sure. I believe the year after they went 5-11 and fired whizenhunt. I would never want the team to go into a season trying to lose but I also am not sure if wins at this point are important.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree with your statement but I can't help but wonder if it is preferable to finish with 5 wins, 8 wins or 2 wins.

I think there was a year with whizenhunt at the helm and at one point the team was 2-7 or 2-8. It looked like the team was going to lose out. They didn't and finished 7-9 or maybe 8-8. I remember being at a Seattle game that Skelton was maybe starting and I think we win in overtime. At the time I thought the wins were important for the following season. Now, I'm not so sure. I believe the year after they went 5-11 and fired whizenhunt. I would never want the team to go into a season trying to lose but I also am not sure if wins at this point are important.
Thats just it...once playoffs are out of the picture...wins hurt the team more than losses.
Several times we have gone from a top three pick to a fifteenish pick just for the sake of moral victories.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Wilks had a choice. What were his options at LB other than those two who were already on the roster? The Cards couldn't address LB in the draft because they went after their QBOTF and offensive players to support Rosen. There wasn't any LBs available in free agency this year. Wilks only option at LB was to make due with what was available to him this season.

I don't understand why the discussion even goes to defense with this version of the Cardinals..... Yes, they're not very good.....But the 85 Bears on the field for us right now... would most likely not even result in 1 more win. (well...maybe the Raiders?)

In a league that now heavily stacks the deck against defense... We still can't score TD's.... and even if we got into a defensive FG type game....odds are we lose that because we had a 90 year old place kicker.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Coaching is what is wrong with this team. BA would have this team in the playoffs. It’s amazing what a good coaching staff can do for a team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's both, but Wilks will end up being the scape goat for all of this among the fans. I still maintain that this roster wasn't going to the playoffs no matter who the Cardinals brought in to coach it. This team was doomed from the beginning.

In 2017 the Cardinals had the oldest roster in football as the Cardinals made one last push to win a SB before the window closed on that roster. That last push delayed the inevitable rebuild that the Cardinals had been ignoring for years.

Many fans claim that this is the same group of players that Betcher had as a top 10 defense last year. However that is far from the truth. Gone are several key Veteran Leaders and starters (Dansby, Rucker, Mathieu, Branch, T. Williams) which forced Wilks to rely on young unproven players who the previous regime drafted in 2016 and 2017. Aside from Budda Baker those young defensive players had looked like busts and to this day still are major question marks (Nkemdiche, Reddick, B. Williams).

Then you move to the offensive side of the ball which is worse than the defensive. This team started the season WITHOUT a single QB on the roster! That is insane! The Cards tried and failed to land any of the top FA QBs that were available and settled on the trash that was left.

The Cardinals were able to move up and select their QBOTF which was a great move. However in doing so the Cardinals were looking towards the future and ignoring the present. They used their first 4 draft picks on offensive players and completely ignored the defensive side of the ball that also had major holes to address. It was a calculated decision to surround Rosen with some young talent so they could develop together. I think it was the right choice but again it ignored the defensive side of the ball.

The offense also was built around an OL that had 4 starters coming off of major injuries and all of whom also had a history of injuries. So is it shouldn't come as a surprise that injuries have taken a toll on this OL.

IMO the biggest mistake of the offseason was the signing of Mike McCoy. This set the offense back an entire year and didn't help develop our QBOTF any.

Yes the Wilks and his staff hasn't elevated this team with coaching, but I think they were behind the 8 ball from the start.

And this was absolutely idiotic and Arians, Keim, and, to a lesser extent, Bidwill (because he was probably urging them on, or at least condoning them) still bear a LOT of my ire for it. Some around here were deluded, but it was clear--CRYSTAL clear--that we weren't going to win a Super Bowl that year. And it was just as clear to me that rolling for "one last run" would be a huge setback in the necessary rebuild. This CRUSHED the team's ability to bounce back quickly. It really hurt us going forward, that doomed, failed season. Keim had a responsibility to recognize that and work for the betterment of the franchise moving forward, but he didn't. He wasn't strong enough to tell Arians no. Not a good characteristic in a GM who has shown weak characteristics.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No, we're in the tunnel of doom and that light in the distance is the train of thought.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Coaching is what is wrong with this team. BA would have this team in the playoffs. It’s amazing what a good coaching staff can do for a team.

Not playoffs but 6 wins and without the wheels falling off. This is a sad situation.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Is this like the ASU train that Herm is on or something?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman