So are we on the train of thought....

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That this team sucks due to coaching or due to not having good players? To me, we have one of top CB, pass rusher, WR, RB, and punter. Do we have this many holes to have this team 2 and whatever or....does this team stink due to just coaching?

I'm on the bandwagon that its coaching.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is a 5-11 roster being coached down to 2-14.

This coaching staff, except for a few, is dedicated to destroy a team with ineptness, false bravado, incapability to game plan, inability to adjust, make in game decisions to intentionally hurt the team and over all not having the ability to see that they are doing all these things.

You want to see a coach who doesn't know how to fix/deal with this, watch any interview with Wilks. The number of times the word uttered "Again.." tells the deep insecurity that is radiating within.

Holy Moly, this team lost a game to Raiders who wanted to lose the game at home.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's both. The coaching? We just had to trust the team, and that trust was misplaced. The roster was sadly neglected and mismanaged, though, and a lot of us pointed it out as it happened.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With Wilks, this team might win 3 games. He's a very bad coach.

With an average coach, this might be a 6-win team. Say... Jay Gruden.

With an above-average coach — say, Bruce Arians — this team would have 8 wins.

Keim was right that this is a re-loading team, but it's not so bad that it should be bottoming out. They might have to be now because of Wilks. They went from the 49ers after Harbaugh to the 49ers after Tomsula.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Football can be a complex game. Although, in its simplest terms, a good team can both run the ball on offense & stop the run on defense. If you can't do either, and we can't, then you will be a pretty poor team. Factor in really bad coaching, a rookie QB, poor linebacking, no WR depth, etc, etc, etc & you have a team that really should have gone 0-16. What a $hit show.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coaching horrible and that is a given. No depth at WR and a horrible OL. Our D is swiss cheese. Wanting at DL, LB and secondary. After Jones Peterson and Baker very little there.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We have significant weaknesses in key positions, including OL, WR, and LB. some coaches are good enough to mask certain weaknesses. Wilks is not. He has no idea how to use his schemes effectively and put his players in a position to be successful. Add in the fact that he’s lost the team and it’s not hard to identify what the main issue is here.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's both, but Wilks will end up being the scape goat for all of this among the fans. I still maintain that this roster wasn't going to the playoffs no matter who the Cardinals brought in to coach it. This team was doomed from the beginning.

In 2017 the Cardinals had the oldest roster in football as the Cardinals made one last push to win a SB before the window closed on that roster. That last push delayed the inevitable rebuild that the Cardinals had been ignoring for years.

Many fans claim that this is the same group of players that Betcher had as a top 10 defense last year. However that is far from the truth. Gone are several key Veteran Leaders and starters (Dansby, Rucker, Mathieu, Branch, T. Williams) which forced Wilks to rely on young unproven players who the previous regime drafted in 2016 and 2017. Aside from Budda Baker those young defensive players had looked like busts and to this day still are major question marks (Nkemdiche, Reddick, B. Williams).

Then you move to the offensive side of the ball which is worse than the defensive. This team started the season WITHOUT a single QB on the roster! That is insane! The Cards tried and failed to land any of the top FA QBs that were available and settled on the trash that was left.

The Cardinals were able to move up and select their QBOTF which was a great move. However in doing so the Cardinals were looking towards the future and ignoring the present. They used their first 4 draft picks on offensive players and completely ignored the defensive side of the ball that also had major holes to address. It was a calculated decision to surround Rosen with some young talent so they could develop together. I think it was the right choice but again it ignored the defensive side of the ball.

The offense also was built around an OL that had 4 starters coming off of major injuries and all of whom also had a history of injuries. So is it shouldn't come as a surprise that injuries have taken a toll on this OL.

IMO the biggest mistake of the offseason was the signing of Mike McCoy. This set the offense back an entire year and didn't help develop our QBOTF any.

Yes the Wilks and his staff hasn't elevated this team with coaching, but I think they were behind the 8 ball from the start.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Football can be a complex game. Although, in its simplest terms, a good team can both run the ball on offense & stop the run on defense. If you can't do either, and we can't, then you will be a pretty poor team. Factor in really bad coaching, a rookie QB, poor linebacking, no WR depth, etc, etc, etc & you have a team that really should have gone 0-16. What a $hit show.

This was what Wilks sold with his hiring, and it's not true anymore. The Rams are 29th in rushing defense DVOA. Kansas City is 32nd.

It's both, but Wilks will end up being the scape goat for all of this among the fans. I still maintain that this roster wasn't going to the playoffs no matter who the Cardinals brought in to coach it. This team was doomed from the beginning.

In 2017 the Cardinals had the oldest roster in football as the Cardinals made one last push to win a SB before the window closed on that roster. That last push delayed the inevitable rebuild that the Cardinals had been ignoring for years.

Many fans claim that this is the same group of players that Betcher had as a top 10 defense last year. However that is far from the truth. Gone are several key Veteran Leaders and starters (Dansby, Rucker, Mathieu, Branch, T. Williams) which forced Wilks to rely on young unproven players who the previous regime drafted in 2016 and 2017. Aside from Budda Baker those young defensive players had looked like busts and to this day still are major question marks (Nkemdiche, Reddick, B. Williams).

Do you really not think that Wilks said/thought he could get the most out of these young players — two first-round picks in Bucannon (who was at least average under the old regime) and Reddick?

Then you move to the offensive side of the ball which is worse than the defensive. This team started the season WITHOUT a single QB on the roster! That is insane! The Cards tried and failed to land any of the top FA QBs that were available and settled on the trash that was left.

The Cardinals were able to move up and select their QBOTF which was a great move. However in doing so the Cardinals were looking towards the future and ignoring the present. They used their first 4 draft picks on offensive players and completely ignored the defensive side of the ball that also had major holes to address. It was a calculated decision to surround Rosen with some young talent so they could develop together. I think it was the right choice but again it ignored the defensive side of the ball.

The offense also was built around an OL that had 4 starters coming off of major injuries and all of whom also had a history of injuries. So is it shouldn't come as a surprise that injuries have taken a toll on this OL.

IMO the biggest mistake of the offseason was the signing of Mike McCoy. This set the offense back an entire year and didn't help develop our QBOTF any.

Yes the Wilks and his staff hasn't elevated this team with coaching, but I think they were behind the 8 ball from the start.

I thought the Cards got the second-best FA QB available in Bradford?

So, would Bruce Arians have lead this team to 4 wins? I think that we all would have accepted a 6-win season with competitive games. That's not what we're getting right now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arians would run circles around our current clown of a head coach :madarms:

Arians doesn't need Palmer or David Johnson to do this. All he needs is MCL injured Stanton or Blaine Gabbert and Kerwyn Williams

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was what Wilks sold with his hiring, and it's not true anymore. The Rams are 29th in rushing defense DVOA. Kansas City is 32nd.

Having a crappy run defense is all fine and dandy in the regular season when you can win a shootout with most teams. Yet how much success have these teams had in the playoffs?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really not think that Wilks said/thought he could get the most out of these young players — two first-round picks in Bucannon (who was at least average under the old regime) and Reddick?

I don't think Wilks had a choice. What were his options at LB other than those two who were already on the roster? The Cards couldn't address LB in the draft because they went after their QBOTF and offensive players to support Rosen. There wasn't any LBs available in free agency this year. Wilks only option at LB was to make due with what was available to him this season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the Cards got the second-best FA QB available in Bradford?

I don't know if Bradford was second best. If he was then that shows how slim the FA QB market was last season. What we do know is that Bradford was the Cardinals "plan C" after they Failed to land Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins.

BA deserves some blame here. He left this team devoid of a single QB when he always said that when he retired he wanted to leave this franchise with a QBOTF on the roster.

So, would Bruce Arians have lead this team to 4 wins? I think that we all would have accepted a 6-win season with competitive games. That's not what we're getting right now.

BA was already on the hot seat with many fans going into last season. If BA had finished this season with only 4-6 wins, the majority of fans would have been out marching with torches and pitch forks looking for his head. That is a fact!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think Wilks had a choice. What were his options at LB other than those two who were already on the roster? The Cards couldn't address LB in the draft because they went after their QBOTF and offensive players to support Rosen. There wasn't any LBs available in free agency this year. Wilks only option at LB was to make due with what was available to him this season.

We talked about getting Derrick Johnson or Karlos Dansby or any number of aged free agents who would be a stop-gap and bridge the gap. Justin Durant, Sean Weatherspoon, Akeem Ayers. It's Wilks and Keim's job to evaluate the roster. The answer wasn't Reddick and Bucannon or nothing at all.

I don't know if Bradford was second best. If he was then that shows how slim the FA QB market was last season. What we do know is that Bradford was the Cardinals "plan C" after they Failed to land Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins.

BA deserves some blame here. He left this team devoid of a single QB when he always said that when he retired he wanted to leave this franchise with a QBOTF on the roster.

Alex Smith was a rumor that was resolved before the playoffs were over. NFL front offices don't work like "Well, this is our only option," and if that doesn't work out, you're screwed.

IBA was already on the hot seat with many fans going into last season. If BA had finished this season with only 4-6 wins, the majority of fans would have been out marching with torches and pitch forks looking for his head. That is a fact!

Maybe. Maybe not. Arians won 5 games with Gabbert and Stanton starting. Hard to imagine that Stanton would be as worse than Bradford was. Fans are dumb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Having a crappy run defense is all fine and dandy in the regular season when you can win a shootout with most teams. Yet how much success have these teams had in the playoffs?

WEll, the 2017 New England PAtriots were 31st in rushing defense DVOA. They seemed to do pretty well in the playoffs.

The 2017 Jacksonville Jaguars were 27th in rush defense DVOA and still managed to make the AFC Championship game interesting.

The New Orleans Saints' 23rd-ranked run defense didn't keep them from winning a playoff game. Nor did Atlanta's 20th-ranked run D.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We talked about getting Derrick Johnson or Karlos Dansby or any number of aged free agents who would be a stop-gap and bridge the gap. Justin Durant, Sean Weatherspoon, Akeem Ayers. It's Wilks and Keim's job to evaluate the roster. The answer wasn't Reddick and Bucannon or nothing at all.

I know right, and I heard that Lawrence Taylor was available as well. Those guys you listed are still available. LOL

Alex Smith was a rumor that was resolved before the playoffs were over. NFL front offices don't work like "Well, this is our only option," and if that doesn't work out, you're screwed.

Exactly. The Cardinals went after Smith. That didn't work so they went all in on Cousins. That didn't work. So they were left with a hand full of sub par QBs of whom they picked Bradford. Plan C.

Maybe. Maybe not. Arians won 5 games with Gabbert and Stanton starting. Hard to imagine that Stanton would be as worse than Bradford was. Fans are dumb.

Stanton, Gabbert, it doesn't matter. 3 consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs and the Fans would have been calling for BA's head.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison