Simmons

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The single biggest thing this team can do in the coming offseason to improve its stock is to find someone somewhere who can cover a tight end.
That alone might have altered the outcome of at least four games this season.
If it is Simmons, or a FA, or a scheme change, or anything at all, we'd be in a different spot.

Tough as Budda Baker is coming from a strong safety position, he's 5'10". Not a viable cover man period.

ftfy

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simmons would be a nice addition to the D, at ILB that would help us from the get go, he could cover a TE.

But basically, it is up to what we need overall after the FA.

But Simmons sure looks like the best possible addition that can help us from day 1.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We play Kittle twice a year. A banged up Kittle burned us. Detroit (a rookie killed us), Baltimore, Tampa, Carolina (Cardinal killer Olsen) , etc all had TE’s that killed us on long drives. Draft Simmons. Getting receivers are a dime a dozen, McLauren and tha Seattle reciever was drafted in the second round.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of good FA options at ILB....and none that could bring what Simmons would in terms of versatility and the skillset to cover our biggest weaknesses.

There aren't many good FA WR's either, but there are some studs that will fall to round 2.

IMO, the dropoff from Simmons to the next ILB that fits our scheme is huge...like maybe 3-4 rounds different. Maybe we take Dye in the 4th round...but Simmons is the clear #1 at his position.

Imagine an offseason where:

We spend big money on Chris Jones for the DL, and Bud Dupree at OLB

We spend money on another D-Lineman like Calais or Michael Brockers if they are cut, and we still have Peters and Zach Allen

We get Alford back, have PP21 in a contract year, and are able to play Murphy in the slot

We draft Isiah Simmons to play ILB.

Calais - Peters - Jones

Dupree - Hicks - Simmons - Jones

Peterson - Baker - Murphy - Alford

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We spend big money on Chris Jones for the DL, and Bud We get Alford back, have PP21 in a contract year, and are able to play Murphy in the slot

I am not very confident that Alford will be any good. He was bad in 2018 (we were told it was due to injury but was it?), he gets hurt in training camp for us and he is 31 yrs old now. Is he anything more than a depth guy at this point?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not very confident that Alford will be any good. He was bad in 2018 (we were told it was due to injury but was it?), he gets hurt in training camp for us and he is 31 yrs old now. Is he anything more than a depth guy at this point?

How is the salary guarantee for him next season!?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How is the salary guarantee for him next season!?

His salary is $7.5 million, the team saves $4.5 million if he is cut pre June 1 but that would create $3 million in dead cap.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he never played a regular season snap for the team.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons would be a nice addition to the D, at ILB that would help us from the get go, he could cover a TE.

But basically, it is up to what we need overall after the FA.

But Simmons sure looks like the best possible addition that can help us from day 1.
Nice to think of a linebacking crew of Jones, Hicks, Simmons and maybe a f/a like Beasley.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice to think of a linebacking crew of Jones, Hicks, Simmons and maybe a f/a like Beasley.
Beasley shouldn't demand much money considering the production he had the last 2 seasons
Maybe a prove it deal 1year/6mil?

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, he's a "hold your breath" guy, that will he be available when the #8 pick rolls around.
Yeah, the mock draft I see (and run) have him being gone in most cases when we pick. With QBs going high the Cards should be in a good position to draft either for need, BPA, or BPA that fills a need.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who's going to go ahead of him? Herbert performing spectacularly in the Rose Bowl may have helped us by moving him into top 7 consideration for QB needy teams.
Burrow, Young, Tua, Herbert, Jeudy,

probably guys like Derrick Brown, Jeff Okudah, Andrew Thomas.........

We're getting a winner in any case. I think a premier CB like Okudah gets taken before a hybrid inside LB guy like Simmons.

We're getting Derrick Brown, Andrew Thomas, Jeff Okudah, Jerry Jeudy, or Isaiah Simmons. OK with that.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley shouldn't demand much money considering the production he had the last 2 seasons
Maybe a prove it deal 1year/6mil?
It might even be less than that. He does some question marks about him but I think he had 15 sacks a couple of years ago.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okudah would be hard to pass. When drafting you also have to think down the road. A guy like Okudah May allow you to let PP walk. He ain’t getting no younger.

But our front 7 definitely needs upgrading. Simmons would be a good start.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We play Kittle twice a year. A banged up Kittle burned us. Detroit (a rookie killed us), Baltimore, Tampa, Carolina (Cardinal killer Olsen) , etc all had TE’s that killed us on long drives. Draft Simmons. Getting receivers are a dime a dozen, McLauren and tha Seattle reciever was drafted in the second round.

Our TE defense was so bad last year.

In fantasy, if you took the TE playing AZ each week..... You would have had:

96 Catches
1148 Yards
16 TD's

That is the 2nd best TE season of the last 25 years. Only Gronk in 2011 had better stats with 90 catches, 1327 yards and 17 TD's.

again..... Simmons would represent the single greatest positional upgrade we can make in the draft. The difference between him and what Walker/Reddick/Vallejo gave us is immeasurable and would only make our secondary, and pass rush better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our TE defense was so bad last year.

In fantasy, if you took the TE playing AZ each week..... You would have had:

96 Catches
1148 Yards
16 TD's

That is the 2nd best TE season of the last 25 years. Only Gronk in 2011 had better stats with 90 catches, 1327 yards and 17 TD's.

again..... Simmons would represent the single greatest positional upgrade we can make in the draft. The difference between him and what Walker/Reddick/Vallejo gave us is immeasurable and would only make our secondary, and pass rush better.
Yes!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy like Okudah starts over Robert Alford immediately.
I would hope so. But if we can’t pressure the qb and cover a TE it wouldn’t matter if we Had Dion Sanders in his prime. This front seven needs a LOT of work.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait for the Draft. High enough to get a good player, but low enough to have a lot of uncertainty over who will be available. I'm hoping that one of the seven teams picking before us, will make a surprise pick in the way Mayock and Gettlemen did last year, with top six picks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A guy like Okudah starts over Robert Alford immediately.

I would hope so. But if we can pressure the qb and cover a TE it wouldn’t matter if we Had Dion Sanders in his prime. This front seven needs a LOT of work.
After that Clemson game...... I would lose my lunch if Okudah makes it to 8. He was the best defensive player on the field for the Buckeyes. No way he is there now.

Young, Okudah, & Jeudy may be gone to us now. Jeudy is the only one who may make it to 8 but it will depend on three things going our way. Thomas must grade and interview well. Herbert must go in top 7. Tua must declare for the draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something just puts me off about Simmons. Idk, I don’t like “tweeners”.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bringing back Campbell makes a great deal of sense. Jax will almost certainly pass. Their focus is on Ngakoue. Campbell has played inside & out with equal success. He was very solid this year and he likes familiar surroundings. He and Fitz are friends so his return could get both. He’s not the whole answer on the line but it’s a start.