Simmons

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simmons is the player that would upgrade this team the most.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Summons is a great player but just because he has the size he doesn’t compare to the likes of Luke. Simmons is nowhere close to the aggressive tackler. Simmons is a great cover LB I would have worries about him in zone and run coverage. Zone coverage may be the weakest aspect of his game and that’s basically all we run. I see he projects as a SAM or MIKE. I don’t see chandler moving so do we kick Hicks inside and make Simmons the MIKE? We still need a WILL through FA or resigning Marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't see the Kuechly comps at all.

I like the player, but yeah, not alike.

I'm not willing to put him up there either...... Not as an all around LBer.

I do think you will hear many say that he is the best coverage LBer to come out since Kuechly though. I think that is a fair thing to say.

Run stopper, thumper, enforcer, etc...... He's not that. That is where it is important to pair him with someone like Hicks.

He did win the Butkus award though. And ACC DPOY

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Interesting scouting report here:

https://wholeninesports.com/2019/10/05/isaiah-simmons-scouting-report/

Play Speed 9.2/10

There was a rumor this past summer that Simmons beat Clemson star running back Travis Etienne in a spring during a summer practice and coaches did nothing but look the other way when it happened. Whether the report is true or not, just by watching film, it would not surprise me if that turned out to be true. Simmons’ sideline to sideline ability to get involved and make a play is unmatched. He can get into the backfield with a blink of an eye and always finds a way to make a play.

Tackling 9.7/10

By far Simmons best trait. He is probably the best open-field tackler I have seen since Luke Kuechly. He does not miss guys; he does not over-pursuit and he uses his incredible speed to run down ball-carriers with ease.

Instincts 8.8/10

I feel I have stated this 100 times in this report already, but Simmons does a great job at just making a pure instinctual play on the ball. This happens a lot for him in coverage where he will just jump in front of a route and deflect the ball so the receiver cannot get to it or anticipating a cut from a running back and making the extra lateral move to stop him in his tracks. Simmons is truly the type of guy you can let run your entire defense from the middle even if his collegiate experience is weak side and strong side backer.

A Panthers site about who the Panthers may pick:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/01/2020-nfl-draft-panthers-options-7-pick/3/

Yes, Shaq Thompson just signed a four-year deal and Luke Kuechly isn’t going anywhere. That said, Kuechly’s performance this season proves he can’t play at an elite level forever. Drafting Simmons (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) would be all about potentially finding the next Kuechly. Simmons has some of the same range, at least. He’s posted an impressive 231 tackles in his college career, with 26.5 of them coming for a loss.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There was a rumor this past summer that Simmons beat Clemson star running back Travis Etienne in a spring during a summer practice and coaches did nothing but look the other way when it happened.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Woah.....

DWash ran a 4.66 at the combine.
Luke ran a 4.58

If Simmons gets into the mid 4.4's it might break twitter.

He may be the DK Metcalf of this draft with the on field college production to back it up.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he's there at 8 you have to take him IMO...because he is the only player of his type in the draft. Every other position has at least someone who could be argued is as good as player a....or is not a big dropoff from player a etc. Simmons is literally in a class of his own when it comes to ILB's. There is no one close.

The only other position like this in 2020 draft is Chase Young at OLB. He is head and shoulders above the next guy...which is why he will go top 2.

Every other position we are talking about, WR, OT, DL....has someone in the 2nd round who would be pretty close in talent and potential as the guy we could have gotten at #8.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't see the Kuechly comps at all.
agree

Lavonte David w/upside is how I think of Simmons.

anyone wanting an enforcer, or a guy who will fly in a blow someone up with a tackle is going to be disappointed

what he will do is cover an amazing amount of ground and make wrap up tackles

a guy tailor made for the new passing, finesse oriented NFL

big enough to play the run and not hurt you, but coverage and blitzing vs the pass is his strength

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agree

Lavonte David w/upside is how I think of Simmons.

anyone wanting an enforcer, or a guy who will fly in a blow someone up with a tackle is going to be disappointed

what he will do is cover an amazing amount of ground and make wrap up tackles

a guy tailor made for the new passing, finesse oriented NFL

big enough to play the run and not hurt you, but coverage and blitzing vs the pass is his strength

And I think is chat we really need
A guy that can put as me pressure and someone who can run downfield and covering anyone

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Ugh.... I would hate Delpit personally. Not only did he not deserve the #7 jersey over Stingley by mid-season...... He definitely shouldn't have won the top CB trophy over Okudah. Delpit is more Mo Claiborne than he is Pat P or HoneyBadger.

P.S..... I am turning around on Okudah. I used to think he was not fast enough. I am rethinking that position.

Delpit was one of the best players in college last year at ANY position. He won the Thorpe award this year enev though he was hampered by an ankle injury for much of the season. Hes a once in a generation safety prospect.

Only thing that worries me about Simmons is the cardinals drafting a guy high hoping he can play a different position. Ala Reddick, and Brandon William's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What has to happen for him to drop to #8?
Must go before we pick: Young, Okudah, Herbert, Burrow, Tua, and three of either: Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, or Brown.

Something like that.

Lol. Nobody knew kuechly was kuechly until he became kuechly!

Kuechly was getting huge love from the internet scouts. I think I remember hearing McShay say "he's the best coverage LBer in a long time to come out" type comments.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Delpit was one of the best players in college last year at ANY position. He won the Thorpe award this year enev though he was hampered by an ankle injury for much of the season. Hes a once in a generation safety prospect.

Only thing that worries me about Simmons is the cardinals drafting a guy high hoping he can play a different position. Ala Reddick, and Brandon William's.

That is a good point...Delpit was basically a lock to be top 10 until his injury this year. I wonder if he will shoot back up draft boards after the combine.

I disagree on Simmons though...he won't be asked to play a different position (he plays them all now).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

You lost me at the bolded part. IMO he's not even the best S of the past 5 years at LSU let alone the last generation. Jamal Adams is that guy. He's not even the best player in his own secondary this year..... Derek Stingley takes him to the woodshed IMO.

He will be a first round pick but IMO he shouldn't have won the Thorpe award either. Okudah got ROBBED IMO.

He's a weak tackler, with a thin frame, at the most important deep position on the field. I don't think he will ever be as good as an Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Eric Weddle, etc. or any of the other HOF level safeties of this generation.

Simmons is a better Safety than Delpit IMO and a better LBer all at the same time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting Simmons we would still have a chance of getting Ruggs in the second round?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Any chance we trade Humphries for a 1st round pick and draft 2 OT's in the top 40? I just can't fathom paying Humphries 14m+. :bang:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Any chance we trade Humphries for a 1st round pick and draft 2 OT's in the top 40? I just can't fathom paying Humphries 14m+. :bang:

I dont see anyone trading a 1st for him for exactly that reason. He is an average OT at best, and paying him top OT money seems crazy. We may franchise him...which is still a lot of money, but it doesn't tie us up long term.

I personally would be fine letting him walk if we draft Andrew Thomas. None of the other OT's in the draft can play LT from day one in my opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard