Simmons

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know we have trashed the idea of taking Clemsons Simmons high and playing him out of position at ILB or as $backer but I’m really intrigued to see if he could be another Cam Chancellor or Adrian Wilson, at safety. He has played a lot of safety and at 6’4 230 could be a beast and cover TEs. Would be nice to have an enforcer back there again.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I know we have trashed the idea of taking Clemsons Simmons high and playing him out of position at ILB or as $backer but I’m really intrigued to see if he could be another Cam Chancellor or Adrian Wilson, at safety. He has played a lot of safety and at 6’4 230 could be a beast and cover TEs. Would be nice to have an enforcer back there again.
Well..... First off, he is no where near a Kam or Adub.

He doesn't hit people with authority. He tackles them sure.... but Kam & Adub were enforcers. That's not his game.

His game is outright speed, athleticism, and instinct. He is 6'4" 230 and an absolute freak of nature in coverage. Combine that with what I am guessing will be high 4.3 speed. 4.34 to 4.44 IMO.

He will be more Luke Kuechly than Thomas Davis. They will be tackled, but not destroyed. Which in this day and age makes him PERFECT at WILB and anywhere on a Nickle or Dime package.

I have said it before..... but This kid represents the biggest single position upgrade we can make in the draft. On either side of the ball and unless there is something out there I haven't found..... or he tests much more poorly than he looks on tape, he will be highly considered in the top 10 by at least 3 teams. Including ours.

Plus...... he has some Carolina in him now..... which our Keimy Keim seems to really like.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He doesn't hit people with authority. He tackles them sure.... but Kam & Adub were enforcers. That's not his game.

His game is outright speed, athleticism, and instinct. He is 6'4" 230 and an absolute freak of nature in coverage. Combine that with what I am guessing will be high 4.3 speed. 4.34 to 4.44 IMO.

He will be more Luke Kuechly than Thomas Davis. They will be tackled, but not destroyed. Which in this day and age makes him PERFECT at WILB and anywhere on a Nickle or Dime package.

I have said it before..... but This kid represents the biggest single position upgrade we can make in the draft. On either side of the ball and unless there is something out there I haven't found..... or he tests much more poorly than he looks on tape, he will be highly considered in the top 10 by at least 3 teams. Including ours.

Plus...... he has some Carolina in him now..... which our Keimy Keim seems to really like.

Give me 80% of Kuechly and I would be thrilled.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I could see Keim taking Delpit and playing him at some sort of hybrid S/LB positio like you're describing. Don't think Simmons will be there at 8.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

this is spot on

I think NFL rules have made things tough on players in the style of a ADub or Chancellor

for much of that playoff game-- Clemson had Simmons covering WRs in the slot and playing in coverage

his build is so long that he doesn't look like he is fast, but he is eating up ground in a hurry

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I could see Keim taking Delpit and playing him at some sort of hybrid S/LB positio like you're describing. Don't think Simmons will be there at 8.
Ugh.... I would hate Delpit personally. Not only did he not deserve the #7 jersey over Stingley by mid-season...... He definitely shouldn't have won the top CB trophy over Okudah. Delpit is more Mo Claiborne than he is Pat P or HoneyBadger.

P.S..... I am turning around on Okudah. I used to think he was not fast enough. I am rethinking that position.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
No issue with Simmons.

He has played some linebacker so I see no issue.

Seems like he would be a good pairing with Hicks.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Simmons is marginal to be there at 8. The top teams that are interested have others above him on their boards from what I’m hearing. However, that could change before the draft. There’s still much info to collect. He’s not my pick but he’s likely as good as Wilson; especially Wilson’s early years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Has there ever been another guy at 6-4/230 who plays CB, S, and LB with 4.4 speed?

Isaiah Simmons is the most versatile player in college football. This year, Simmons played 104 snaps on the defensive line, 203 snaps as a box linebacker, 230 snaps as a slot cornerback, 106 snaps at free safety, and he even played 6 snaps at wide cornerback (Pro Football Focus). Isaiah has the athletic ability to line up and make an impact anywhere on the defense.

6'4 230
4.37 clocked 40 - expected 4.45 due to bulking up
200 meter dash faster than OBJ in high school
3 time long jump state champ
11' 10'' standing jump

Senior year: 97 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 PD, and 3 INT

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Simmons is marginal to be there at 8. The top teams that are interested have others above him on their boards from what I’m hearing. However, that could change before the draft. There’s still much info to collect. He’s not my pick but he’s likely as good as Wilson; especially Wilson’s early years.
I think this kid is going to blow up the combine. He's roughly an inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Julio Jones but....... I expect him to match his numbers.

DK Metcalf is 6'3 and 228 and ran a 4.33. I wonder if he can get there.

I can't wait to find out.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wilson was a failed CB that most fans considered both arrogant and dumb in his early years.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Wilson was a failed CB that most fans considered both arrogant and dumb in his early years.

What you say is true. I mentioned it because posts have made the comparison. It’s also true Wilson was a 5 time Pro Bowl selection.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one last note on Simmons that I like:

consistent high marks for "instincts"

its great to have the eye popping measurables -- nice to have some good football IQ to go with it

I would have no issue with Simmons at 8

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been another guy at 6-4/230 who plays CB, S, and LB with 4.4 speed?

Isaiah Simmons is the most versatile player in college football. This year, Simmons played 104 snaps on the defensive line, 203 snaps as a box linebacker, 230 snaps as a slot cornerback, 106 snaps at free safety, and he even played 6 snaps at wide cornerback (Pro Football Focus). Isaiah has the athletic ability to line up and make an impact anywhere on the defense.

6'4 230
4.37 clocked 40 - expected 4.45 due to bulking up
200 meter dash faster than OBJ in high school
3 time long jump state champ
11' 10'' standing jump

Senior year: 97 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 PD, and 3 INT

You must be registered for see images attach

FINALLY, someone who could come in and cover TEs. Please Keim, make this your draft pick.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Simmons is one of the bigger upgrades we could make in the draft. A true 3 down ILB that will be on the field from day 1. I am not sure Vance Joseph would use him to his max potential, but just getting him on the field instead of whatever no-name we rolled out at ILB next to Hicks this year would be a huge upgrade. There are also not a ton of options in FA...so I think our next ILB has to come from the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
While I don't love the idea of taking ANOTHER ILB in round 1...he would help lock down the middle of the football field which most offensive teams try to establish.

S-?
S-Budda BAker
ILB-Jordan Hicks
ILB-Isaiah Simmons
DT-Corey Peters

There is an argument to be made in taking him, but you gotta do a lot of work to be able to do so. Big holes at RT & OLB & DE need to be addressed.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If ARZ cannot land Littleton then they need a ILB who can run and cover TE's. Failure to get that player and a pass rusher opposite Jones will result in a failed offseason in my opinion. Simmons or maybe Troy Dye in later rounds are most athletic ILB's in draft in terms of pass coverage and and playing sideline to sideline.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
While I don't love the idea of taking ANOTHER ILB in round 1...he would help lock down the middle of the football field which most offensive teams try to establish.

S-?
S-Budda BAker
ILB-Jordan Hicks
ILB-Isaiah Simmons
DT-Corey Peters

There is an argument to be made in taking him, but you gotta do a lot of work to be able to do so. Big holes at RT & OLB & DE need to be addressed.
Personally..... I think Chris Jones may hit the open market. If he does...... I would put a ton of our open money towards him.

Him and Peters would be awesome.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Personally..... I think Chris Jones may hit the open market. If he does...... I would put a ton of our open money towards him.

Him and Peters would be awesome.

I think they cut Sammy Watkins (save 14m), franchise Jones, and then trade him. I don't think they can afford him but they can't let him go for free either.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The single biggest thing this team can do in the coming offseason to improve its stock is to find someone somewhere who can cover a tight end.
That alone might have altered the outcome of at least four games this season.
If it is Simmons, or a FA, or a scheme change, or anything at all, we'd be in a different spot.

Tough as Budda Baker is coming from a strong safety position, he's 5'10". Not a viable cover man for 6'6" TE's.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently when you look around the league there are a lot of teams with the te predicament. Anybody that played the Rams, 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs has problems covering tight ends.

a guy like Simmons might help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave