Simmons Quote about Suns in Trade Value Column

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
"Goran Dragic: Congratulations, Robert Sarver: Now that we're finally jettisoning the Maloofs, you're the new worst NBA owner alive! Well done, my friend! Your team has the league's best training staff and the league's worst everything else. Just sell already. You'll get big bucks. Probably north of $600 million. You know what sucks about professional sports? Guys like Frank McCourt and Sarver can stumble into a valuable franchise, screw fans over for years and years, then sell for a colossal profit and prevail in the end. What a shame. That's a terrific basketball city and Phoenix deserves better. Anyway, Dragic saved the Suns from getting shut out of any mention in this column, and if that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does."

Yeah, that about sums it up...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9186204/nba-trade-value-column-part-1

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Took over a popular and productive business and ran it into the ground at an unbelievable pace. The sale of the first round pick was the first sign of impending disaster. And it has been all downhill since.

Sell the team. Please

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryan Colangelo "sold" #7

This is a bit misleading. A terrible trade IMO, but I believe a trade forced by Sarver. The Suns traded the #7 pick to Chicago in 2004 draft for a second round pick, a future first round pick plus cash considerations. Not exactly what Kerr did trading KT and 2 first round picks to Seattle to move a contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a bit misleading. A terrible trade IMO, but I believe a trade forced by Sarver. The Suns traded the #7 pick to Chicago in 2004 draft for a second round pick, a future first round pick plus cash considerations. Not exactly what Kerr did trading KT and 2 first round picks to Seattle to move a player that still held value.

FTFY. But, yes, I agree there's a huge difference between the two deals.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The sad thing is that articles like this probably only serve as motivation for Sarver to keep the team ad prove everybody wrong. He didn't become a multi millionaire walking away every time he got criticism. He also seems to relish in the limelight of being a franchise owner.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr did that at Sarvers request to avoid luxury tax.

We'll never really know. Did Sarver say screw the franchise and it's future to reduce salary a little or did he tell him to try and find a way to bring costs into control. There is a huge difference between the two. I suspect he directed Steve to save money and Steve wanted to please his boss in his first big deal and he then chose to make the idiotic move of the century. Regardless, I blame it mostly on Kerr - it was his job not to do stupid stuff like this and his job to give Sarver the information necessary to keep him from directing Steve to make stupid deals like this.

Steve

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr did that at Sarvers request to avoid luxury tax.

The same could be said about trading the #7 pick in 2004... to save money, IMO, at Sarvers request. I think Bryan Colangelo did a good job of trying to put the pick in a safe bank (Chicago) but it didn't work out.

Thankfully Babby seems to have grown into a shrewd executive. Now if only the Suns would invest in a talented GM and a good coach. It all starts at the top and it would be money well spent. Hopefully Sarver has given Babby the reins.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We'll never really know. Did Sarver say screw the franchise and it's future to reduce salary a little or did he tell him to try and find a way to bring costs into control. There is a huge difference between the two. I suspect he directed Steve to save money and Steve wanted to please his boss in his first big deal and he then chose to make the idiotic move of the century. Regardless, I blame it mostly on Kerr - it was his job not to do stupid stuff like this and his job to give Sarver the information necessary to keep him from directing Steve to make stupid deals like this.

Steve

Trades never go through without the owners approval. My guess is Saver told Kerr he would not pay luxury tax and to find a deal. The KT deal was the best deal he could get. Every team in the NBA knew the Suns situation and weren't going to help unless they got a really sweet deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trades never go through without the owners approval. My guess is Saver told Kerr he would not pay luxury tax and to find a deal. The KT deal was the best deal he could get. Every team in the NBA knew the Suns situation and weren't going to help unless they got a really sweet deal.

One of the worst trades in NBA history especially considering KT was still a good player and helped Seattle garner another first round pick the next year. Even Kerr has admitted this was a terrible trade.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The same could be said about trading the #7 pick in 2004... to save money, IMO, at Sarvers request. I think Bryan Colangelo did a good job of trying to put the pick in a safe bank (Chicago) but it didn't work out.

Thankfully Babby seems to have grown into a shrewd executive. Now if only the Suns would invest in a talented GM and a good coach. It all starts at the top and it would be money well spent. Hopefully Sarver has given Babby the reins.

I read Bickley wrote this and now you. Maybe I am out of it on the other side of the country but what has Babby done to show his growth?

Fire Lance Blanks, Fire Lindsey Hunter. Sign Bynum, Draft Oladipo or Shabazz and Grant Jerrett or a Euro at 30 ----- BOOM.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't believe it. You're telling me that the worst trade in the history of the game (arguably) was the "best deal he could get"? Again, I just don't believe it. But, even if I did believe it, Kerr's job then was to go to Sarver and say look, the best deal I can make will screw us royally for years to come and seriously devalue this franchise. No matter how you slice it, Steve Kerr (one of my favorite sports personalities) messed up big time here.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read Bickley wrote this and now you. Maybe I am out of it on the other side of the country but what has Babby done to show his growth?

Fire Lance Blanks, Fire Lindsey Hunter. Sign Bynum, Draft Oladipo or Shabazz and Grant Jerrett or a Euro at 30 ----- BOOM.

Well, he traded Nash for two first round and two second round draft picks. Considering Nash was going to walk for nothing, I thought this was a good move.

He got a first round draft pick and Johnson for Lopez and Warrick.

He was able to trade Turkoglu, Richardson and Clark to the Orlando Magic for Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat and Mickael Pietrus.

There is much more, both good and bad.

I think Babby would do even better if Blanks was better at evaluating talent. The bottom line, I think Babby has improved while Blanks has not done well evaluating talent. Babby can now do the deals but he needs someone feeding him good information on what players to go after.

Actually it was Sarver who wanted Dragic back... not Blanks.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Actually it was Sarver who wanted Dragic back... not Blanks.

I think Babby would do even better if Blanks was better at evaluating talent.
The bottom line, I think Babby has improved while Blanks has not done well evaluating talent. Babby can now do the deals but he needs someone feeding him good information on what players to go after.

Can you imagine how bad we would've been if we hadn't gotten Dragic?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine how bad we would've been if we hadn't gotten Dragic?

I can't think of a better reason why Blanks should go... plus the Morris twins and Marshall.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I can't think of a better reason why Blanks should go... plus the Morris twins and Marshall.

I agree. Although the number one reason for me is Beasley. I can't imagine how Sarver couldn't see what a terrible job Blanks is doing. Maybe he can't see past Blanks' sparkling personality.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't believe it. You're telling me that the worst trade in the history of the game (arguably) was the "best deal he could get"? Again, I just don't believe it. But, even if I did believe it, Kerr's job then was to go to Sarver and say look, the best deal I can make will screw us royally for years to come and seriously devalue this franchise. No matter how you slice it, Steve Kerr (one of my favorite sports personalities) messed up big time here.

Steve

I agree it was one of the worst but can you give me other examples of teams taking on a bad contract (KT) to help another owner save $16 million in luxury tax? Everybody knew the Suns situation. They all knew how desperate Sarver was and they all knew he was overextended.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nash made that trade happen, he could have easily left the suns with nothing

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Although the number one reason for me is Beasley. I can't imagine how Sarver couldn't see what a terrible job Blanks is doing. Maybe he can't see past Blanks' sparkling personality.

Wow. How did I miss him or the failure to offer Mayo the better contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Lakers needed a sign and trade to get Nash, Babby worked that leverage into something.

Nash was not going to sign with the Lakers for the minimum. Babby made it work so Nash got his money and location, and the Suns got something out of what could have been nothing.

I agree with Mainstreet. Babby has shown himself to be a shrewd negotiator. Blanks ability to judge talent seems terribly flawed, especially judging by the draft.

You watch. He likes all around type of players. I have no doubt he will select Otto Porter. And Porter will be terrible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I give Nash a lot of credit, but it was a very sweet deal even if the draft picks are not he best. Have to give Babby some credit in this trade.