Simmons Quote about Suns in Trade Value Column

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The KT trade is on D'Antoni much more than anyone else - he didn't value KT and he didn't value draft picks

Kerr pulled the trigger on that trade and I didn't hear him trying to excuse himself by blaming DA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr is a classy guy- he will not blame D'Antoni or Sarver.

It was Sarver who was going to lose money. Sometimes I think D'Antoni has become the fall guy for all the Suns problems.

In the words of Steve Kerr in a USA today article written by Reid Cherner dated 12-13-11:

"There are so many trades made these days that are lousy trades that are made for financial purposes. I mean I made (when he was Suns President) one of the worst trades in NBA history. I traded Kurt Thomas and two first round picks to Seattle for nothing, to save $16 million for our organization. Where was the NBA then to veto that trade for basketball reasons?"

Kerr didn't throw Sarver under the bus but he made it clear the trade was made for financial reasons.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eeds-to-get-over-losing-lebron/1#.UXdETMphRC8

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It was Sarver who was going to lose money. Sometimes I think D'Antoni has become the fall guy for all the Suns problems.

In the words of Steve Kerr in a USA today article written by Reid Cherner dated 12-13-11:

Kerr didn't throw Sarver under the bus but he made it clear the trade was made for financial reasons.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eeds-to-get-over-losing-lebron/1#.UXdETMphRC8

Well, of course it was. I wouldn't pay $16M for a player that doesn't play and two rookies who will not play either.
I don't understand why some people always place 100% of the blame on one person, be it Sarver or D'Antoni. Sarver wanted to save money, D'Antoni didn't want rookies or KT, and Kerr probably could have done a better job finding a better deal. There is plenty of blame to go around. D'Antoni is a stubborn fool, Sarver was still pretty new, and he was an experienced businessman, Kerr was a very inexperienced GM.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sarver most likely did not say "Trade Kurt Thomas by whatever means necessary." He probably said, "We need to save some money, make a trade to do that."

KT was, at the time, when you talk about the ratio of contract to contribution, one of the most overpaid players on the roster. Looks like the only way Kerr could rid ourselves of that contract was to add two unprotected picks. Horrible move, but even if it came from Kerr, Sarver did end up approving it--so there is plenty of blame to go around, and not just on one person.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver most likely did not say "Trade Kurt Thomas by whatever means necessary." He probably said, "We need to save some money, make a trade to do that."

KT was, at the time, when you talk about the ratio of contract to contribution, one of the most overpaid players on the roster. Looks like the only way Kerr could rid ourselves of that contract was to add two unprotected picks. Horrible move, but even if it came from Kerr, Sarver did end up approving it--so there is plenty of blame to go around, and not just on one person.

yup. plenty of blame to go around there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard