Simmons Quote about Suns in Trade Value Column

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also mention Babby has created CAP space while acquiring draft picks to move the Suns forward. I don't think Babby's job as running the franchise should be confused with Blanks job of evaluating talent. Anyway, I think Babby has shown improvement while Blanks and Hunter are the weakest links. It will be Babby's fault if he cannot soon separate himself from Blanks and Hunter. It will be on Babby if he cannot while acquiring future talent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also mention Babby has created CAP space while acquiring draft picks to move the Suns forward. I don't think Babby's job as running the franchise should be confused with Blanks job of evaluating talent. Anyway, I think Babby has shown improvement while Blanks and Hunter are the weakest links. It will be Babby's fault if he cannot soon separate himself from Blanks and Hunter. It will be on Babby if he cannot while acquiring future talent.

Babby tried to completely BLOW that CAP space last off-season, attempting to tie this franchise into ATROCIOUSNESS for four years last off-season when his plan was to spend all of our cap room on a "Big Three" of Dragic, Beasely and Eric Gordon. He was saved from his own stupidity by the Hornets even greater stupidity. Are we going to have to hope that another team saves us from Babby's own stupidity again this off-season when we probably try to sign Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings or Monta Ellis?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Babby tried to completely BLOW that CAP space last off-season, attempting to tie this franchise into ATROCIOUSNESS for four years last off-season when his plan was to spend all of our cap room on a "Big Three" of Dragic, Beasely and Eric Gordon. He was saved from his own stupidity by the Hornets even greater stupidity. Are we going to have to hope that another team saves us from Babby's own stupidity again this off-season when we probably try to sign Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings or Monta Ellis?

I believe Blanks is the primary decision maker as the GM when it comes to player personnel decisions. This is his job. I do not believe Babby woke up one morning and said the Suns need to sign Beasley and Gordon. This is Blanks job, to target players. Babby's job is to make it happen within the constraints of running the franchise. IMO, player personnel decisions is primarily on Blanks and why he needs to go. In regard to Dragic, I understand Blanks wanted the Suns to go after Felton but Sarver instead intervened and pushed for Dragic. In this case, I'm glad Sarver prevailed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Blanks is the primary decision maker as the GM when it comes to player personnel decisions. This is his job. I do not believe Babby woke up one morning and said the Suns need to sign Beasley and Gordon. This is Blanks job, to target players. Babby's job is to make it happen within the constraints of running the franchise. IMO, player personnel decisions is primarily on Blanks and why he needs to go. In regard to Dragic, I understand Blanks wanted the Suns to go after Felton but Sarver instead intervened and pushed for Dragic. In this case, I'm glad Sarver prevailed.

If Babby signed off on those deals he's an idiot... Or at worst he's an idiot for hiring an idiot who thought those were good deals.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beasley was a gamble and everyone knew it. Its amazing how fans suddenly believe they had clear vision about what would happen when its all hindsight.

Beasley's potential is huge. They were hoping that a change of scenery could help him mature a little. It didn't work. Its pretty clear now it probably will not work anywhere. Suns gambled and lost. They have lost very little really with Beasley. They could just cut him loose now and be done with it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beasley was a gamble and everyone knew it. Its amazing how fans suddenly believe they had clear vision about what would happen when its all hindsight.

Beasley's potential is huge. They were hoping that a change of scenery could help him mature a little. It didn't work. Its pretty clear now it probably will not work anywhere. Suns gambled and lost. They have lost very little really with Beasley. They could just cut him loose now and be done with it.

I think most people outside of Phoenix thought signing Beasley (especially to a 3 year contract) was a very obvious mistake. And there are a lot of people who are fans of the team who do not need the slightest bit of hindsight to say getting Beasley was an idiotic move.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the problem isn't Beasely on it's own... it's that the PLAN was Dragic/Beasely/Gordon which is a pathetic way to blow all your cap space you've just saved.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
the problem isn't Beasely on it's own... it's that the PLAN was Dragic/Beasely/Gordon which is a pathetic way to blow all your cap space you've just saved.

Beasley was a huge risk, and Gordon (if healthy) would be a huge difference maker. Shooting guard who can create his own shot (and defend) is the biggest need this team has. I think signing Gordon is just too risky, but if the Suns medical staff signed off on it, I would be OK with that. I, of course, prefer they don't sign anyone to a huge deal until they bottom out for a couple of years and draft some young talent.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Beasley was not a huge risk at all.

He signed for 2 and 1/2 seasons for 15M$.

If he gets it together based on his talent you got a bargain homerun. If he busts like it looks he does you have him off the cap basically after next season when truth is , they are extremely unlikely to use that capspace during that time anyway.

The real risk was giving Gordon a 4yr/60M$ deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, no risk at all in Beasley... I am sure Blanks agrees with you... I mean, all it cost him was his job.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the worst trades in NBA history especially considering KT was still a good player and helped Seattle garner another first round pick the next year. Even Kerr has admitted this was a terrible trade.

Wait ... what?

You must be registered for see images

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. That was a terrible trade too... Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey.

DJ was one of the best guards of his generation, and the Suns traded him for a over-cooked, broken forward. That, to me, defines bad NBA trade.

The Suns as an organization never seemed to value KT's merit to the roster, agreed, but he was still a half-broken big man with a big contract. I think that sort of disqualifies it from the "worst trade ever" category. It does, however, add measurable weight that the Suns front office is pretty clueless.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJ was one of the best guards of his generation, and the Suns traded him for a over-cooked, broken forward. That, to me, defines bad NBA trade.

Indeed that was a awful trade. However, I somewhat I understand it because the Suns were always being criticized for lacking a legitimate man, which seems to be the bane of the Suns franchise.

The Suns as an organization never seemed to value KT's merit to the roster, agreed, but he was still a half-broken big man with a big contract. I think that sort of disqualifies it from the "worst trade ever" category. It does, however, add measurable weight that the Suns front office is pretty clueless.

It's the two draft picks the Suns sent with a serviceable center that made it a terrible trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed that was a awful trade. However, I somewhat I understand it because the Suns were always being criticized for lacking a legitimate man, which seems to be the bane of the Suns franchise.

It's the two draft picks the Suns sent with a serviceable center that made it a terrible trade.

it's the two draft picks, with the serviceable center sent away which began a domino effect of blowing up the team and forcing us to trade Marion for Shaq which is what made the trade terrible.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was an awful trade, but even in hindsight, I can think of much worse trades. Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki comes to mind. Jack Marin for Elvin Hayes, Cleveland sending what would become the 1st pick in the draft (Worthy) for some unknown guy, Junior Bridgeman and some other guys I don't remember for Kareem, some forgetables for Bill Russell, Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant.

Guess I'm saying there are some NBA landmarks that sort of put this whole thing in perspective, and I'm reacting negatively to the hyperbole and not the sentiment.

In general, history shows trading for aging stars and passable reserves and surrendering the unknown of the draft always has the potential to blow up in the team's face. It doesn't usually work for the team receiving immediate help. However, would the Suns have drafted Serge Ibaka? Would it have mattered if they had drafted Quincy Pondexter? I don't know.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The KT trade is on D'Antoni much more than anyone else - he didn't value KT and he didn't value draft picks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an awful trade, but even in hindsight, I can think of much worse trades. Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki comes to mind. Jack Marin for Elvin Hayes, Cleveland sending what would become the 1st pick in the draft (Worthy) for some unknown guy, Junior Bridgeman and some other guys I don't remember for Kareem, some forgetables for Bill Russell, Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant.

Guess I'm saying there are some NBA landmarks that sort of put this whole thing in perspective, and I'm reacting negatively to the hyperbole and not the sentiment.

In general, history shows trading for aging stars and passable reserves and surrendering the unknown of the draft always has the potential to blow up in the team's face. It doesn't usually work for the team receiving immediate help. However, would the Suns have drafted Serge Ibaka? Would it have mattered if they had drafted Quincy Pondexter? I don't know.

I was just focusing on the Suns. No doubt a lot of bad trades are made throughout the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard