Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don’t get why the Pacers aren’t better

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you said early last season but what about middle, late or in the playoffs? Cause when we went to him he came up big time after time and proved he can handle the offense on a given night.

Didn’t we just play the warriors in the biggest game of the NBA season that had the entire league watching. The Suns made it a legit point to go to him often and he balled out giving us our signature win of the season so far.

Can he do it every night? No but he’s more than proven he can do it when called on and that’s what we need.

I get it. He’s always gonna be that rookie struggling in the eyes of a lot of people.
We didn't try to regularly make him a focal point again until that stretch in the playoffs where he came up huge. After we stopped forcing the ball into him early in the season, Monty instructed him to focus on defense and we became a different team. It was that approach that led to the idea that DA was sacrificing his offense for the good of the team.

Our problem is DA's hands. You never know which set he's bringing to the game. Sometimes he has great hands, grabs everything and other times he fumbles everything he touches.

You can't count on him being a major part of the offense because you don't know how he'll play till game time. It keeps him from being the best big man in the game but he's still pretty damned good and without those wasted possessions, so is this team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't try to regularly make him a focal point again until that stretch in the playoffs where he came up huge. After we stopped forcing the ball into him early in the season, Monty instructed him to focus on defense and we became a different team. It was that approach that led to the idea that DA was sacrificing his offense for the good of the team.

Our problem is DA's hands. You never know which set he's bringing to the game. Sometimes he has great hands, grabs everything and other times he fumbles everything he touches.

You can't count on him being a major part of the offense because you don't know how he'll play till game time. It keeps him from being the best big man in the game but he's still pretty damned good and without those wasted possessions, so is this team.

Ayton had a horrible game the other night but when was the last time he’s even looked bad? Months?

His bad games are getting to be few and far between. The whole he’s inconsistent thing doesn’t really apply anymore.

I think Jokic and Embiid are 1 and 2 hands down. Then after that? KAT? BAM? Gobert? Vucevic? I don’t think I’d trade Ayton for any of those 4 anymore and trust me there was a time I wanted to. Especially KAT and Vucevic

I think at 23 he’s a legit top 5 player at his position. He’s def trending up

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Or a smaller move for a Torrey Craig, the guy we should have re-signed instead of Nader!
exactly. that was our off-season mistake.
Nader is a weak link in the chain.
we need Craig's energy back.
get it done!

the other weak spot may be backup point guard. Cam Payne is looking more like just some points off the bench (a Barbosa?) than a legit 2nd capable of running a championship contending team for significant amounts of time -- especially considering CP3's health risks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can argue a lot of things about Ayton but efficiency is not one of them and it is legitimately not up for debate. It’s there in black and white
Efficiency within 3 feet of the basket is great, but he creates about 2 percent of those shot opportunities himself.

he cannot be a main cog on offense till he can create his own shots efficently, and right now he sucks at it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Craig left because of money. Think it was two year deal so Suns would be stuck with the bill next year when they need the cap space.,
It’s like 5 million.

any acquisition of substance is likely to cost as much or more.

with that said, gambo said the other day the suns are not interested in trading For him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The suns are not interested unless they have decided they want to trade Ayton - which I really doubt.

Turner is a center in today's NBA, and you can't play two centers.
The Suns are not going to trade Ayton. If they did, we would immediately be wishing we had a center--just like Ayton. He is perfect for this team right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig left because of money. Think it was two year deal so Suns would be stuck with the bill next year when they need the cap space.,

If this is the case, fans should be going through the list of expiring contracts for options.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Turner would fit nicely on the Suns. I'm not sure what is going on with the Pacers but they have too much talent not to be playing better. I sure don't want to see him on another Western Comference team.
He would be a good fit if he could play 3rd and sometimes 4th fiddle. His comments certainly don't appear to be someone who is looking for that which would be a major hesitation if I am the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would be a good fit if he could play 3rd and sometimes 4th fiddle. His comments certainly don't appear to be someone who is looking for that which would be a major hesitation if I am the Suns.

The Suns don't have realistic assets to acquire Turner so I think this discussion is mostly fantasy. It's fun to talk about but I don't think it's realistic. It would probably require the Suns trading Ayton and I don't think they have any interest in doing that. What scares me is another Western Conference team doing it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns don't have realistic assets to acquire Turner so I think this discussion is mostly fantasy. It's fun to talk about but I don't think it's realistic. It would probably require the Suns trading Ayton and I don't think they have any interest in doing that. What scares me is another Western Conference team doing it.
I am of the opinion the Suns have to make a move. Despite how great we are playing you can bet the teams sitting at the top of the WC are going to try and do the same. The Suns can't sit and watch it happen around them. I am not fantasizing we are getting a star by the deadline but if there is any shot to improve the roster between now and then the Suns need to be aggressive. This window closes when Paul starts showing his age IMO. The chances of getting another player of Paul's caliber when he is done isn't that great.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I am of the opinion the Suns have to make a move. Despite how great we are playing you can bet the teams sitting at the top of the WC are going to try and do the same. The Suns can't sit and watch it happen around them. I am not fantasizing we are getting a star by the deadline but if there is any shot to improve the roster between now and then the Suns need to be aggressive. This window closes when Paul starts showing his age IMO. The chances of getting another player of Paul's caliber when he is done isn't that great.
I agree. The Warriors are going to be getting Klay and Wiseman back next month, which will make them better. The Suns don’t need to match that, but if they can get someone to shore up the front court, they need to make a move.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns need to make a move, maybe two, but the team isn't broken. This is why I was interested in a trade for a player that coud get some minutes like Craig and perhaps a buyout.

They need to fortify their depth. The Suns need alternatives for Nader and Saric. They could even use another shooter or someone who can create his own shot. It appears obvious the Suns do not plan to play Smith.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to make a move, maybe two, but the team isn't broken. This is why I was interested in a trade for a player that coud get some minutes like Craig and perhaps a buyout.

The Suns need to fortify their depth. They need alternatives for Nader and Saric. They could even use another shooter or someone who can create his own shot. It appears obvious the Suns do not plan to play Smith.
Smith hasn't earned it and he hasn't progressed. I have been saying that since the offseason. I have seen nothing from him and obviously the organization hasn't either for him to break into the lineup.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
with that said, gambo said the other day the suns are not interested in trading For him.
Any explanation why? His price tag/fit/familiarity with the system would appear to make him an ideal add.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith hasn't earned it and he hasn't progressed. I have been saying that since the offseason. I have seen nothing from him and obviously the organization hasn't either for him to break into the lineup.

I think Smith is better than Nader and Wainright but it doesn't matter what I think. If the Suns have already made the decision to move on, they need to figure out a way to get some players who they will play. The Suns have reportedly been trying to trade Smith but it takes a trade partner.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any explanation why? His price tag/fit/familiarity with the system would appear to make him an ideal add.
Basically he said if the suns had wanted to pay him that much, they would have resigned him themselves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically he said if the suns had wanted to pay him that much, they would have resigned him themselves.

If the Suns are looking for players that have expiring contracts it really limits their options. Craig is only owed $5,121,951 for next season.

Perhaps this is why the trade for Thad Young is attractive using Smith and Saric as trade pieces. Saric has another year on his contract. Young is an expiring contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really curious to see what move Jones makes if he makes one. He does seem to have a knack for scouting other teams' rosters. His draft picks are not quite as good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at expiring contracts that fill a need, Robert Covington would be nice but I doubt the Suns have the assets to get a trade done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Covington plays all three front court positions, is a good defender and can shoot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Christian Wood? The Rockets say they are listening to offers. He shoots in the upper 30's from 3, rebounds in double digits, and blocks 1.2 a game. Maybe he could play pf? Price is probably high, but it would be picks I suppose. It's tough. Our picks aren't worth much these days.

Saric and Smith's salaries match. But value would have to be added somewhere. Just noodling ideas here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard