Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering their costs, I'd rather have Cam long term than Sabonis. Hell, I'd rather do this trade for Turner than Sabonis.
I like Sabonis quite a bit, I'm just not convinced you can play another big man alongside him. Maybe we couldn't pair DA with Turner either but I think it has a better chance of working. But really, I'd much rather go in search of a power forward, one that no one argues that he should be playing center.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Or a smaller move for a Torrey Craig, the guy we should have re-signed instead of Nader!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't include picks in the trade machine but obviously yes you would have to include multiple picks.
I mean real 1st round picks.

Ours are going to basically be 2nd rounders. I don't think the Suns can compete with the assets we have unless you want to swap him for Ayton.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are going to have to get by GS in order to have another finals shot, and then there is no guarantee that it would be Milwaukee we would face. So, if you are going to add to the roster, add versatility, but be really careful about giving up a chemistry piece that is more valuable than the stats show--a Cam Johnson for instance.
I don't see many people talking about trading Cam. I think if they were this would be an entirely different conversation about who to get in return.

I do love Sabonis though. Saric, Smith, Frank, Hutchinson, and a future #1. I am not really thinking about his value as much as what we could give up without damaging the team.

Barnes is OK, but I would prefer getting a 6-11 pf/c rather than a 6-8 combo forward.
Except, as you stated we likely have to get by Golden State who is a streaky shooting team. I like Barnes because we have seen up close that guy tear it up. We are talking about a guy getting bench minutes so he doesn't have to be a lock down defender type.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I do love Sabonis though. Saric, Smith, Frank, Hutchinson, and a future #1. I am not really thinking about his value as much as what we could give up without damaging the team.
I'd agree with your second sentence. Sabonis is a borderline All-Star. There's no way the Pacers would trade him for basically nothing, which is what the package you propose amounts to.

If the Suns had any high picks (i.e., not their own), they could combine one or two of those with Johnson and maybe start a conversation. As it is, I can't see any way for the Suns to get the Pacers' attention regarding a possible Sabonis deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the worry is Giannis… go get PJ Tucker. He owned Giannis tonight

The Heat have won both games against the Bucks this season. Tucker probably knows his tendencies as he played for the Bucks last season. Also players like payback against their old teams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Heat have their own aspirations, we'd have to overpay bad to pry Tucker loose.

Really wish we'd made a run at Tucker in the off season.

I don't get TJ Warren. I don't think I've ever seen a player miss time in the way he does, vague injuries, no obvious time when it happened, a return time that he is nearly guaranteed to overshoot by 6 weeks. If he had been Bridges the other night we'd probably figure his season was over. I also don't think his snail paced ISO game would really fit here.

I love Sabonis' game but I am not sure about his fit here either. We'd need either him or Ayton to get a lot better from the outside. Two bigs in the paint would really ruin the mid range stuff that Booker and Paul thrive on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Indiana would make a deal involving Ayton for Sabonis straight up.

I checked and that doesn't quite work under the cap but if we included Jalen Smith then it would work. Its not like Stix has value beyond being a small expiring contract. He's not in our rotation and it makes no sense for us to play him since we declined his option so really he's just a throw in to make salaries work.

I think we'd need a pick in return also, even one with some protection.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I checked and that doesn't quite work under the cap but if we included Jalen Smith then it would work. Its not like Stix has value beyond being a small expiring contract. He's not in our rotation and it makes no sense for us to play him since we declined his option so really he's just a throw in to make salaries work.

I'm critical of Ayton as much as the next guy, but why would we do that?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why would the Suns risk that trade blowing up chemistry after coming off the finals and one of the longest win streaks in NBA history?!? His numbers are very similar and the risk to chemistry is high. We have already seen multiple cautionary tales this season with guys leaving or getting traded to teams and it not being the same.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm critical of Ayton as much as the next guy, but why would we do that?

Why would the Suns risk that trade blowing up chemistry after coming off the finals and one of the longest win streaks in NBA history?!? His numbers are very similar and the risk to chemistry is high. We have already seen multiple cautionary tales this season with guys leaving or getting traded to teams and it not being the same.

If they really don't want to pay Ayton max money then Sabonis is probably the best replacement they could trade for. If there was a way to bring back Turner and Sabonis then it would be better for the Suns but that would involve moving a rotation player as well, likely Cam Johnson.

I was only floating the idea, not endorsing it.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sabonis wouldn’t be traded here to come off the bench either. Trade Crowder or have him come off the bench

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Downgrading Ayton for Sabonis would be absolutely infuriating.

Sabonis is Googs part two.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That would be dumb.

Ayton is the better player, and the player with more upside.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, let's just trade Stix for Craig and fill the open roster spot with BPA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the guy I wish the Suns could figure out a way to get... Myles Turner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is the guy I wish the Suns could figure out a way to get... Myles Turner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Probably wouldn't be much better here -- only difference is that we are a much better contender than Indiana is. Sounds like he wants to follow the Jerami Grant model.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myles Turner could be that power forward the Suns have always wanted.

He can defend, rebound and shoot the three.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose