Should Gannon be one and done…

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
…If he has a Wilk’s like year? Because if he does and isn’t fired then it makes Wilk’s lawsuit more credible.

All the reports make it seem like this is shaping up to the the worst team in Cardinal’s history and that’s says a lot about this team and franchise.

A DC who lost the superbowl. An undersized qb who is coming back an ACL injury and from his worst year ever prior to the injury. Bad FA market. Makeshift offensive line with some promising candidates. Defensive line ZERO pass rush ON PAPER.

Wilks didn’t have a lot going into that season either. A bad qb at the start and a rookie qb who took over who was an all-time bust. He didn’t help himself either by not adjusting schemes and had to rely on the most boring OC of all time to get through. I see similarities between this season and Wilk’s.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Somehow Keim had convinced Michael (or Michael had convinced himself, more likely) that discipline was the problem in Bruce Arians' final year with the club, and a more buttoned-up approach would return the Cards to the form where they were competing for the NFC West title.

I think it would take more than on-field results to doom Jonathan Gannon to one-season-wonder status. Monti's front office would have to be legendarily dysfunctional and the team would have to keep getting worse throughout the year.

Even then, it would probably be something like Michael asking Gannon if he's ready for their Monday film session and JG telling him to GTFOH.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
…If he has a Wilk’s like year? Because if he does and isn’t fired then it makes Wilk’s lawsuit more credible.

All the reports make it seem like this is shaping up to the the worst team in Cardinal’s history and that’s says a lot about this team and franchise.

A DC who lost the superbowl. An undersized qb who is coming back an ACL injury and from his worst year ever prior to the injury. Bad FA market. Makeshift offensive line with some promising candidates. Defensive line ZERO pass rush ON PAPER.

Wilks didn’t have a lot going into that season either. A bad qb at the start and a rookie qb who took over who was an all-time bust. He didn’t help himself either by not adjusting schemes and had to rely on the most boring OC of all time to get through. I see similarities between this season and Wilk’s.
Wilks absolutely doomed himself.

I never saw an NFL head coach blame the players for losses until I saw Wilks do it. "The gameplan was good, but the players just didn't execute". Bull crap. You own that loss. It's your job to create a gameplan that the team can execute.

And then later in the year when he was asked what could be done to fix things he essentially said he didn't know. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your program.

No way do you keep a coach who 1) didn't take accountability for the play on the field. 2) Doesn't have the answers to fix things.

The bigger question is how the heck did Keim survive that mess? A DUI and then talent on the field was highly questionable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gannon will be starting at the bottom with this team, literal rock bottom. All he has to do is install his own system and create a new culture in the first season - nobody is expecting success
I don't expect success, but I do expect progress. I want to see the team competing hard all four quarters. I want to see the culture change. I want to see player development. I want to see competent coaching and schemes. There's a lot to watch for.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The expectations are the lowest they've been since the Jake Plummer days. No Kyler to start the season, new coach, new GM, young talent. Barring some behavioral issue, Gannon is fine

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
expectations were really different going into the 2018 Wilks season vs. today's rock bottom expectations

the 2017 team was 8-8 and had finished reasonably well. It had lost David Johnson in week 1 and Carson Palmer in week 7. the expectation was that a healthy David Johnson + Sam Bradford minding the store should produce a competitive team.

it took 2 quarters into the opener vs Washington to shatter that illusion

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't expect success, but I do expect progress. I want to see the team competing hard all four quarters. I want to see the culture change. I want to see player development. I want to see competent coaching and schemes. There's a lot to watch for.
How many of those things are you going to be able to see on TV or even from the stands on Sundays?

What's the point of player development if you take a D-minus player like Froholdt and develop him into a C-plus player? You're still behind the eight ball, talent-wise? How do you measure "competent coaching and schemes" for a team that wins four games or fewer?

I guess maybe the model is the 2018 San Francisco 49ers under Shanahan? Nick Mullens was kind of a gamer that year -- went 3-5 as a starter but threw for nearly 300 yards a game and a 90 passer rating.

So glad we hired a defensive head coach though.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two completely different regimes. Two completely different times.

Wilks didn't even pick his own staff of coaches, did he?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
See the look on my face to your left right now. Look deeply at it, for it must be what our new coach feels when he looks at our roster.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

So you’re sort of already calling for Gannon to be fired. That’s pretty epic brah. Congrats on being the first.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
This won’t happen. Cardinals might lose every game this year, but the coach will not be fired. I do believe the new leaders will get this right eventually. I look for a terrible year in 2023, an outstanding draft next year and some improvement to the record, and year 3 we’ll compete for a championship.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Silks didn’t seems to be hands on. He relies on his staff for his success. He took a job where he wasn’t able to pick his helpers therefore early exit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose