Scratch out R. Smith

nooch

Veteran
Reaction score
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

An equal-opportunity fix-it man, Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly has followed up his latest offensive line revamping with a free agent acquisition that will help refurbish his defensive line.

The Texans have reached contract accord with unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Robaire Smith, regarded as one of the top 10 players in the market, on a six-year deal that is worth $26.3 million and includes an $8 million signing bonus.

Smith, 26, played the first four seasons of his career with the Tennessee Titans.

On Wednesday, the opening day of the signing period, Casserly added offensive tackle Todd Wade on a five-year, $25 million deal. Earlier in the week, the Texans retained defensive lineman Gary Walker by restructuring his contract. So it is clear Casserly is bolstering his team in the trenches.

Toward that end, Smith figures to be a terrific addition, even though he started full-time just one season for the Titans.

The former Michigan State standout is viewed around the league as an emerging star, a cornerstone-type interior defender who helped make the Titans the toughest defense against which to run in the last two seasons. He has bulked up to 310 pounds and is tough to budge but, unlike some run-stuff interior defenders who don't make many plays, Smith has averaged 73 tackles in the last two years.

He can also pressure the quarterback on occasion and registered a career-best 4½ sacks in 2003, when he moved into the starting lineup.

The loss of Smith, coupled with the Wednesday defection of end Jevon Kearse to Philadelphia, significantly weakens the Tennessee defensive front.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew, for a minute there I was expecting to see a red dot on my chest with someone about to take me out!

:D