Sandos latest Oline, and drafts

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Sandos Is getting closer to Whisenhunts draft reality, But levi has done well blocking the pass 2/3rds of the time as a road grader. against all odds.

I still can't believe only AW, Fitz and DD are the only drafted Cards resigned under Whiz? thats 5 long years. It is like he destroyed the SB roster on purpose and made us the oldest team in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/33267/leading-questions-nfc-west

Arizona Cardinals

What happens to the offensive line?

We've been asking, answering and asking some more questions about the Cardinals' quarterback situation for months. Let's tap a few brain cells to discuss the guys up front.

Leading Questions

Center Lyle Sendlein and right guard Deuce Lutui are without contracts for 2011. Left guard Alan Faneca might retire. Right tackle Brandon Keith is coming off hamstring and knee injuries that shortened his first season as a starter. The Cardinals do not have fresh talent in reserve. They have drafted only one offensive lineman in the first four rounds since Ken Whisenhunt became head coach in 2007. Twenty-seven teams have drafted more. As much as the team trusts assistant head coach Russ Grimm to get the most from its offensive line, Arizona could use fresh young talent for him to groom.

The Cardinals went through the 2010 season with the NFL's oldest offensive linemen, counting backups. That wouldn't matter so much if left tackle Levi Brown were meeting the Pro Bowl expectations that came with his status as a top-five overall selection in the 2007 draft. Brown was underwhelming at right tackle to begin his career and a liability at left tackle last season. His salary balloons in 2012, so this could be his last season in Arizona

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A very troubling situation for sure, but there are some exciting names on the offensive line that could be ripe for the taking on draft day.
Time to get some young blood and get them learning.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really like Sando but I don't get this take. Lutui was drafted in 2006, Brown in 2007 and Sendlein signed as a FA in 2007. Keith in 2008. Offensive linemen can play 10 years or more. Ernie McMillan played 14 years for the Cards.

Tootie Robbins played 12 years. Leonard Davis is in his 10th season. Ken Gray started for the Cards for 12 years and was 1st team all-pro at age 33. How do you get old in the offensive line? You'd have to have 40yearFan starting at Guard.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals do not have fresh talent in reserve. They have drafted only one offensive lineman in the first four rounds since Ken Whisenhunt became head coach in 2007. Twenty-seven teams have drafted more.

This, to me, was the most interesting part. Especially considering the one we drafted was Levi Brown. We rip on Russ a lot, and rightfully so at times. But he really doesn't have a lot to work with. It also might be tough to give him much more next year with the current labor situation and the plethora of needs for this team.

All of these blown early round draft picks are really hurting us. We've only drafted four starters in the first four rounds since Whis has been here, and one of those starters sucks (Levi). Another (Toler) hasn't exactly cemented a starting job for the future. It's tough to build a successful team without early round draft picks.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The thing I like is this will likely be Levi's last year in AZ so the Cards at somepoint in the draft will draft an OT somewhere in this draft. The down side is Levi will probably do like L Davis a become an All Pro OG...you gotta luv the Cards and their drafting philosophys :bang::bang::bang:

Buckybird

Reaction score
I still can't believe only AW, Fitz and DD are the only drafted Cards resigned under Whiz? thats 5 long years. It is like he destroyed the SB roster on purpose and made us the oldest team in the NFL.

You obviously haven't followed Big Red football too long...don't blame Wiz, the blame is squarely on Bill Bidwill & the human snail. Up next Larry Fitzgerald!!! Ohhhhh my!!!

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
This, to me, was the most interesting part. Especially considering the one we drafted was Levi Brown. We rip on Russ a lot, and rightfully so at times. But he really doesn't have a lot to work with. It also might be tough to give him much more next year with the current labor situation and the plethora of needs for this team.

All of these blown early round draft picks are really hurting us. We've only drafted four starters in the first four rounds since Whis has been here, and one of those starters sucks (Levi). Another (Toler) hasn't exactly cemented a starting job for the future. It's tough to build a successful team without early round draft picks.

Amen to that and it gets even worse if you look at Dennis Greens 3 drafts. I think the only Denny players still on the team are Fitz and Dockett.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Without a doubt we need an upgrade on the line... But I think it comes third next to outside rusher and most importantly obviously the QB...

Any combination of QB/OLB/OL with our first 3 picks is a must...

Unless ofcourse Patrick Peterson is there at 5, then we go with him and get an Olineman later...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

All of these blown early round draft picks are really hurting us. We've only drafted four starters in the first four rounds since Whis has been here, and one of those starters sucks (Levi).00 Another (Toler) hasn't exactly cemented a starting job for the future. It's tough to build a successful team without early round draft picks.

Well why would the Cards draft any offensive linemen in the first four rounds when they had a fairly set offensive line? One that had helped the Cards put over 400 yards of offense on two of the NFL's best defenses in the playoffs.
And don't tell me it was all Warner because I guarantee you he couldn't have done it with guys like Matt Joyce, Chris Dishman, Lester Holmes and Fred Wakefield on the oline. It's a wonder Plummer can walk without a limp.

The mistake was moving all the guys around for the Left Handed Leinart and then leaving them there once they decided to go with DeWreck.

Let Leonard Davis leave, draft Leonard Davis. Move Leonard Davis from RT to LT. Move Levi Davis from RT to Lt. This franchise just doesn't learn from their mistakes.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
The mistake was moving all the guys around for the Left Handed Leinart and then leaving them there once they decided to go with DeWreck.

Let Leonard Davis leave, draft Leonard Davis. Move Leonard Davis from RT to LT. Move Levi Davis from RT to Lt. This franchise just doesn't learn from their mistakes.

Amen brothta!!! I still think that moving the worst Olineman you had to LT was as stupid as drafting the kid over AD anyway. Gotta luv these bunch of pigeons we root for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen