San Diego not done dealing?

stretchthefield

Registered
Reaction score
GBN article;
Bolts put star vet LB on block… San Diego G.M. A.J. Smith has confirmed that the Chargers have notified the rest of the NFL that veteran LB Donnie Edwards is available for trade. Smith would not confirm what might pry Edwards away, but it is a good bet that the Chargers would be looking for at least a 3rd round pick at the 2006 draft for Edwards who has led the team in tackles each of the past four years. Edwards, though, is 33 and will be entering his 11th campaign this fall; he also carries a rather hefty 2006 salary of $3.6M. Meanwhile, the Chargers are reportedly exploring the possibility of trading up in this year’s draft in order to select Southern Cal OT Winston Justice one of the rising stars of the 2006 draft class. The Chargers had Justice is for a visit earlier this week and Smith was quoted as saying he is “totally open-minded” about moving up in the draft. The Chargers, who have the 19th pick this year, though, may have to move all the way into the top 10 as Justice is attracting interest from a range of teams as we head into the final two weeks before the draft.

Would Edwards & pick 19 be a fair price for pick 10?
Do we even have the cap space to consider this?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
stretchthefield said:

No and No

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
stretchthefield said:
GBN article;
Bolts put star vet LB on block… San Diego G.M. A.J. Smith has confirmed that the Chargers have notified the rest of the NFL that veteran LB Donnie Edwards is available for trade. Smith would not confirm what might pry Edwards away, but it is a good bet that the Chargers would be looking for at least a 3rd round pick at the 2006 draft for Edwards who has led the team in tackles each of the past four years. Edwards, though, is 33 and will be entering his 11th campaign this fall; he also carries a rather hefty 2006 salary of $3.6M. Meanwhile, the Chargers are reportedly exploring the possibility of trading up in this year’s draft in order to select Southern Cal OT Winston Justice one of the rising stars of the 2006 draft class. The Chargers had Justice is for a visit earlier this week and Smith was quoted as saying he is “totally open-minded” about moving up in the draft. The Chargers, who have the 19th pick this year, though, may have to move all the way into the top 10 as Justice is attracting interest from a range of teams as we head into the final two weeks before the draft.

I would want more in return for giving up #10. Here's what I would do on a trade:

We give up:
1st round #10
3rd round #72
4th round #107

We get back:
1st round #19
2nd round #50
3rd round #81
Donnie Edwards

Leaves us with an extra 2nd round pick, gives us a veteran LB that we are basically renting for a year and then pick:

#19 - T Marcus McNeil
#41 - S Ko Simpson
#50 - TE Mercedes Lewis
#81 - QB Omar Jacobs

With Edwards means we should get 3 maybe 4 starters from day 1 with our QBOF being able to learn from Warner.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Leaves us with an extra 2nd round pick, gives us a veteran LB that we are basically renting for a year and then pick:

#19 - T Marcus McNeil
#41 - S Ko Simpson
#50 - TE Mercedes Lewis
#81 - QB Omar Jacobs

With Edwards means we should get 3 maybe 4 starters from day 1 with our QBOF being able to learn from Warner.
I wouldn't do a trade like that. We're sitting at #10 with the option of drafting a blue-chipper. You don't trade down then. If you want to trade then send BJ and #41 to Denver for their #22 and take McNeil there.
#10 - Young, Cutler
#22 McNeil
#72 Bullocks

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
BACH said:
I wouldn't do a trade like that. We're sitting at #10 with the option of drafting a blue-chipper. You don't trade down then. If you want to trade then send BJ and #41 to Denver for their #22 and take McNeil there.
#10 - Young, Cutler
#22 McNeil
#72 Bullocks

Just so I have this straight you believe BJ is worth a low second rounder??? Because thats how the trade value works out:

#22 = 780 -
#41 = 490 =
BJ = 290 = the #61 pick in the draft.

Sorry but I don't think he has that high of a value to get Denver to make that kind of trade. So instead of getting 3-4 starters in the draft, we do get the QBOF but only 1 maybe 2 depending on the 3rd rounder.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BACH said:
#10 - Young, Cutler
#22 McNeil
#72 Bullocks

I don't think Young will be there at 10, if Cutler is pass.