Sammy Watkins is a ram

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinal luck he's gonna be hurt all year but plays when the Cards are on the schedule and becomes this years Crabtree and lights up Bethel for 150 yards and two touchdowns

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
So the Rams gave up a CB and the 40th(ish) pick in next years draft for a WR who they will either have to franchise or pay 10mil/year to keep if he is any good? Such a dumb move.

Or possible pick up a comp pick if he signs a big deal elsewhere and they don't do too much else in free agency which they probably won't given all the free agents they have to re-sign next year.

All in all this deal helps free up Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, and Cooper Kupp and team almost have to put their best CB on Watkins. And playing the WRs more honest doesn't hurt Gurley either.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
IF Watkins can stay healthy all season the Rams are going to have to throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to stay because he is going to test the FA market. There is no way he doesn't, especially if he can put up decent numbers and play in at least 14 games. Some one out there desperate for a WR will offer him a ton of money. Expensive one year rental.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
IF Watkins can stay healthy all season the Rams are going to have to throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to stay because he is going to test the FA market. There is no way he doesn't, especially if he can put up decent numbers and play in at least 14 games. Some one out there desperate for a WR will offer him a ton of money. Expensive one year rental.

Agreed, cardpa. Well said. Have to wonder whether Watkins, on the eve of free agency, will buy into the Rams as his long-term team. The Rams are gambling that he will. But they might have to f-tag him for at least one year. Now being in LA, if the Rams get some momentum in their favor, they could become one of the more prized locations for free agents.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

How is $690,000 expensive for a player like Watkins?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
How is $690,000 expensive for a player like Watkins?

I think he meant in terms of the risk of giving up CB Gaines and a 2018 2nd round pick. What if Watkins only plays in half the games again this year? Do the Rams f-tag him anyway? This is where it could get very expensive...either by losing Watkins to FA (and losing their 2nd rounder) or having to pay him big bucks via the f-tag or a long-term, top 5 WR contract.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

1st links headline: "There are signs Goff MIGHT be greatly improved" - Hedge much???
2nd link - beat reporter discussing Goff being happy to run check downs in intersquad practice.
3rd link - Teammate intimating "He didnt get picked #1 for nothing" Deep analysis
4th link - the GM (!!!) saying he looks great. Translation - Im not complete dung at my job

Sorry, those articles dont say anything. Just like the preseason hype in the grand canyon state doesnt say anything about our squad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think if Watkins can stay healthy and get 1700 yards and 8 TDs, the Rams are happy to pay him and have the new triplets in the LA market with Gurley and Goff.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
All depends on
1) can he stay healthy and
B) and most importantly is Goff improved enough to get him the ball
Wasn't impressed at all with Goff last year

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Watkins is exactly the type of player teams in the Rams situation have the freedom to acquire

Super high ceiling player and in a situation where you can give them lots of playing time-- i.e. not a situation where he will be counted on for a playoff run

So my criticism isn't about the player, but the cost relative to the contract

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
All depends on
1) can he stay healthy and
B) and most importantly is Goff improved enough to get him the ball
Wasn't impressed at all with Goff last year

Can Goff get him the ball, can he get anyone the ball. Something to consider, Lindley does not hold the record for worst stretch of games by a NFL QB... Goff does and that says something

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think he meant in terms of the risk of giving up CB Gaines and a 2018 2nd round pick. What if Watkins only plays in half the games again this year? Do the Rams f-tag him anyway? This is where it could get very expensive...either by losing Watkins to FA (and losing their 2nd rounder) or having to pay him big bucks via the f-tag or a long-term, top 5 WR contract.
Exactly what I meant, thanks Mitch.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
are the Bills stocking up the armory to trade up for the #1 pick next year?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Sammy Watkins can stay healthy he is a HUGE talent. I hope he has a good year and then goes back to the AFC in FA.

Does anyone know how good the CB is that the Rams traded to the Bills in this deal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort