Ryan Anderson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the Rockets have been trying to trade Ryan Anderson for awhile. They gave him a big contract but it simply didn't work out. Anyone follow the Rockets and have some idea why it didn't work out and how he might benefit the Suns. I've heard complaints from fans about his defense.

Here is a link to his stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderry01.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking some comments from a link presented by @Poop Head, here are some comments about Ryan Anderson at "The Ringer."

"Ryno looked to be a perfect soldier, a simulacrum of the Tim Thomases and Steve Novaks that thrived under D’Antoni’s past regimes. But times change. At the highest level of competition, NBA teams with championship aspirations nowadays will find it impossible to justify playing a one-dimensional shooter in a frontcourt position simply because he has the height of a center. The defensive liabilities that Anderson presented in the regular season were magnified tenfold in the playoffs. In his first season with the Rockets, he averaged 30.5 postseason minutes; in his second, he averaged 8.7. In the span of a season, he was rendered unplayable."

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/8/31/17803978/rockets-suns-ryan-anderson-brandon-knight

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He's also been a perennial injury case, which means as he hits the NBA hill at 30, his body and athleticism are probably more than a few years beyond that... and he was never really going to be mistaken for athletic to begin with.

So at this point in his career, he is a defensive black hole, probably actually a net negative as a rebounder for a 6-10 PF, and nothing more than a stand-and-pop shooter with a ton of limitations that probably cancel that value.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's also been a perennial injury case, which means as he hits the NBA hill at 30, his body and athleticism are probably more than a few years beyond that... and he was never really going to be mistaken for athletic to begin with.

So at this point in his career, he is a defensive black hole, probably actually a net negative as a rebounder for a 6-10 PF, and nothing more than a stand-and-pop shooter with a ton of limitations that probably cancel that value.

I'm not going to get excited by Anderson but hopefully he gives some depth to the Suns at PF. Hopefully he can help spread the court to give Booker and Ayton some room to work. He looks like he might be the Suns version of Joe Ingles although Ingles plays SF and is pure hustle.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm not going to get excited by Anderson but hopefully he gives some depth to the Suns at PF. Hopefully he can help spread the court to give Booker and Ayton some room to work. He looks like he might be the Suns version of Joe Ingles although Ingles plays SF and is pure hustle.

Ingles is a very good defender. Other than being white and good shooters, they have nothing in common.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ingles is a very good defender. Other than being white and good shooters, they have nothing in common.

Ingles came to mind. Maybe not the best comparison but both can shoot the ball and have height. The reason I tied the two together is because of Kokoskov. He may use Anderson in a similar fashion to spread the court.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well, I think we all know he can spread the floor, but the problem is that he can't do anything else. His defense is so bad that Mike D'Antoni wouldn't let him play. He was literally too terrible of a defender to play for Mike D'Antoni.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudes seeing their playing time vanish in the playoffs under Mike D is nothing new, his 7.5 man rotations are continually lamented. I'm noting saying Anderson is anything but a bad defender, but I suspect it was Mike D'Antoni's bad habits that got Anderson glued to the bench. He was one of like 5 guys on the Rockets to see their minutes vanish as the playoffs went on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dudes seeing their playing time vanish in the playoffs under Mike D is nothing new, his 7.5 man rotations are continually lamented. I'm noting saying Anderson is anything but a bad defender, but I suspect it was Mike D'Antoni's bad habits that got Anderson glued to the bench. He was one of like 5 guys on the Rockets to see their minutes vanish as the playoffs went on.

Also Ryan Anderson reportedly had an ankle injury. I'm not sure how this factored into the equation. His play was good prior to going to the Rockets.

https://www.chron.com/sports/rocket...mains-out-of-Rockets-lineup-with-12846216.php

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
AZSports had Amin Elhassan on and he said Anderson isn't good enough for a top playoff team like the Rockets but for the Suns just trying to get better and approach the playoffs he will make a positive difference.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
AZSports had Amin Elhassan on and he said Anderson isn't good enough for a top playoff team like the Rockets but for the Suns just trying to get better and approach the playoffs he will make a positive difference.

So we can go from just being the run of the mill worst defensive team in the league to being a dimension of bad even beyond that? Still not sure I am seeing the upside.

Superbone

Reaction score
So we can go from just being the run of the mill worst defensive team in the league to being a dimension of bad even beyond that? Still not sure I am seeing the upside.
Obviously he will help on offense, not on defense. Almost every other player we've added lately will help defensively.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, maybe Suns think Anderson not used correctly and we can use him better? Or they think we are still weak on shooting?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, maybe Suns think Anderson not used correctly and we can use him better? Or they think we are still weak on shooting?

Both the Rockets and Suns have been trying to trade Anderson and Knight for awhile.

They needed fresh faces to look at... time to reboot.

Also I don't think the Suns wanted to be locked into starting Knight as he might balk at the idea. Anderson helps spread the floor. I think every team can use more shooting.

Superbone

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they wanted to improve our ability to spread the floor. All off-season I've been hearing that one of the primary goals from the front office was to add a stretch PF.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He’s a big man shooter who doesn’t play defense. If MIKE D’ANTONI can’t work with that, what makes you think anybody can?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He’s a big man shooter who doesn’t play defense. If MIKE D’ANTONI can’t work with that, what makes you think anybody can?

That's what I keep coming back to. If your defense is so bad that you can't play for Mike, your defense is REALLY REALLY bad.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He played like 25 minutes a game last year. D'Antoni obviously COULD work with that. What Mike D'Antoni can't do is formulate proper rotations in the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I don’t think this trade has as much to do with Anderson as people think. He’s mediocre at best, has slow feet and is a terrible fit with Ayton defensively. I think the Suns wanted to shake up personal and move on from Chriss while picking up an asset.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don’t think this trade has as much to do with Anderson as people think. He’s mediocre at best, has slow feet and is a terrible fit with Ayton defensively. I think the Suns wanted to shake up personal and move on from Chriss while picking up an asset.

I agree, but I'd say they wanted to move away from Knight, and to a lesser degree Chriss. Chriss could have been waived just as easily.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have a Ryan Anderson question, since I am not familiar with him, better or worse than Jared Dudley?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson