Ryan Anderson

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
don't read to much into that trade it was crap for crap Knight and Anderson and one unlikely prospect for another Melton for Chriss

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting evaluation of DeAndre. "He is so skilled" Not he is a beast or he is so big or he is so strong. He is all those things. I love hearing about Ayton's skill set.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Anderson a superior shooter compared to Chriss?

Yes. This is one of the reasons the Suns moved on from Chriss. He would not compliment Ayton as would Anderson.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Anderson is a good compliment to Ayton on Offense. However, he's a horrific compliment to Book on D. He might very well be the worst Defender in the NBA. He literally can't guard anyone. Add to that, Book might be one of the worst SG Defenders out there. It's not good to have 2/5 players on the court that bad at D.

Chriss's attitude was the problem, not how he complimented Ayton or his potential skill set. If Chriss could ever pull his head out he'd compliment anyone. But I'm not holding my breath.

If the trade is evaluated on attitude, we won. We also won if you hate position-less players. Chriss was a 3? 4? 5? Knight wasn't a 1, but he wasn't a 2 either. At the very least Melton IS a 1. Anderson is a 13, as in he should be the 13th player on any team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anderson is a good compliment to Ayton on Offense. However, he's a horrific compliment to Book on D. He might very well be the worst Defender in the NBA. He literally can't guard anyone. Add to that, Book might be one of the worst SG Defenders out there. It's not good to have 2/5 players on the court that bad at D.

Chriss's attitude was the problem, not how he complimented Ayton or his potential skill set. If Chriss could ever pull his head out he'd compliment anyone. But I'm not holding my breath.

If the trade is evaluated on attitude, we won. We also won if you hate position-less players. Chriss was a 3? 4? 5? Knight wasn't a 1, but he wasn't a 2 either. At the very least Melton IS a 1. Anderson is a 13, as in he should be the 13th player on any team.
Wait a minute. I thought Devin Booker was the worst defender in the NBA. Or was it TJ Warren? Or Marquese Chriss?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait a minute. I thought Devin Booker was the worst defender in the NBA. Or was it TJ Warren? Or Marquese Chriss?
It’s TJ. No wait, Bender. But that is until Tyler actually plays again. But then Eric Bledsoe was the worst when he was with the Suns. So was IT and Goran.

The great thing about calling a player th worst defender in the league is that no one can really prove you wrong.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s TJ. No wait, Bender. But that is until Tyler actually plays again. But then Eric Bledsoe was the worst when he was with the Suns. So was IT and Goran.

The great thing about calling a player th worst defender in the league is that no one can really prove you wrong.

Unless you're talking about Beasley in 2013, then you're right.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I agree with you and other calling Raze and others out, but in all fairness, Booker, Anderson, Chriss, IT, and Dragic were/ are pretty damn bad. Anderson was bad enough defensively that he couldn't find playing time for a team coached by Mike D'Antoni.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And it’s “complement” (as in completing one another) rather than “compliment” (saying nice things to one another.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you and other calling Raze and others out, but in all fairness, Booker, Anderson, Chriss, IT, and Dragic were/ are pretty damn bad. Anderson was bad enough defensively that he couldn't find playing time for a team coached by Mike D'Antoni.

Anderson is a bad defender, no question. But this "couldn't find playing time even with Mike D" simply isn't true. He started 50 games, he played in 66, he averaged 26 minutes a game, he played a LOT. Yeah, he got dumped from the rotation as the playoffs went on, but Mike D's idea of "playoff adjustments" is to play his starters 40-48 minutes a game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. This is one of the reasons the Suns moved on from Chriss. He would not compliment Ayton as would Anderson.

I believe McD also said about Chriss, is that at center, Chriss would be competing with Chandler and the other backup centers too. I'm pretty sure I recall him saying that when he sat down with EJ and Leander.

So Chriss was pretty much deamed out of a role, can't be a center and isn't a shooter, coupled with his character issues.

Now as the roster is almost settled in I actually like the move, of getting rid of Knight and Chriss. I was a Chriss supporter in the fact that he was better than Bender. But it makes sense to move on from him since we have a new center and new wings with much more skill than athletics. From a Chriss vs Bender I still believe Chriss will have a slightly better career based on stats.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True, but that doesn't open the door to hyperbole.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does it count as hyperbole when you use terms like "very well might be" and "literally"?

Ryan Anderson's defense is no great shakes, but we know that McD shortens his rotation in the playoffs to 7 and given how he dealt with Kurt Thomas, it has nothing to do with defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe McD also said about Chriss, is that at center, Chriss would be competing with Chandler and the other backup centers too. I'm pretty sure I recall him saying that when he sat down with EJ and Leander.

So Chriss was pretty much deamed out of a role, can't be a center and isn't a shooter, coupled with his character issues.

Now as the roster is almost settled in I actually like the move, of getting rid of Knight and Chriss. I was a Chriss supporter in the fact that he was better than Bender. But it makes sense to move on from him since we have a new center and new wings with much more skill than athletics. From a Chriss vs Bender I still believe Chriss will have a slightly better career based on stats.

Bender may never be more than a role player but I think he fits into the Suns scheme of a having an outside shooter at the PF slot better than Chriss. I do think Chriss has more upside but it doesn't do much good for the Suns if there are chemistry issues.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

When I went to school there they never sat outside like that.

You’d never see the suns outside. Only walking into the meeting areas.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

So if Chriss was looked at more as a center for us, and we traded him, that implies the guy we picked up from the Sixers is viewed as better than Chriss at Center. That makes me more eager to see him on the court to see what he can do! I have seen highlight reels, and he looks like a phenom athletically. I am going to be curious about his consistency, which Chriss had a problem with maintaining.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if Chriss was looked at more as a center for us, and we traded him, that implies the guy we picked up from the Sixers is viewed as better than Chriss at Center. That makes me more eager to see him on the court to see what he can do! I have seen highlight reels, and he looks like a phenom athletically. I am going to be curious about his consistency, which Chriss had a problem with maintaining.
I thought he said that Chriss’ game and Ayton’s did not mesh, which would imply that they saw Chriss more as a pf.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear they were looking for a stretch 4 to give Ayton more room down low. Anderson shoots 70% of his shots from 3 while Chriss let fly beyond the arc only 40% of the time. Not to mention the fact that Chriss shot 30.9 percent, dragging down our team percentage while Anderson's career avg of 38.2 figures to give us a boost. That's the difference between a guy you have to guard at the arc and one you want to fire from there. We're probably giving up a bit on the defensive end, but not much. Anderson seems genuinely happy to be here and Chriss concealed it well if he felt that way. If you ignore the money we won that trade.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear they were looking for a stretch 4 to give Ayton more room down low. Anderson shoots 70% of his shots from 3 while Chriss let fly beyond the arc only 40% of the time. Not to mention the fact that Chriss shot 30.9 percent, dragging down our team percentage while Anderson's career avg of 38.2 figures to give us a boost. That's the difference between a guy you have to guard at the arc and one you want to fire from there. We're probably giving up a bit on the defensive end, but not much. Anderson seems genuinely happy to be here and Chriss concealed it well if he felt that way. If you ignore the money we won that trade.
The money is a wash anyway. Spending around the cap is no big deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Went back a few pages and couldn't find an Ariza post but it applies to Anderson also. Do either hold any trade value? I know they've sucked but Ariza might have value around the league, if he wants to play hard. It wouldn't be too difficult to sell him to a contender, especially if we took on a contract beyond this season. With Anderson it's a little bit harder since he's on the books for about $16 million guaranteed. I doubt he's worth anything but who knows.