Running without the Bull

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I've already noted I don't favor a running back in round one. Only two would likely be considered. The best one, Gurley, is recovering from injury. The second, Gordon, is likely gone. Also I'm just not convinced the Cards are ready to give up on Ellington getting 20 touches. So I'm not paying round one money for a part time player. BTW the same goes for Peterson. Still the Cards need another back.

I like either David Johnson or David Cobb. Both offer the power option the Cards need. Johnson has great hands and might play some downs at TE. Both should be useful in short yardage and in protecting a passer. Johnson would make the better safety valve receiver. Cobb will likely last until round three. To be sure on Johnson you'd have to grab him in round two. Of course don't forget Stingley the likely NIU UDFA.

The backfield help that's needed should be there in this draft. The Cards just need to be patient

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harry what do you think about this scouting report? He did have a very favorable opinion of Cobb.

After studying Northern Iowa RB David Johnson's college tape, NFL Films' Greg Cosell came away believing Johnson will not be a "foundation back" in the pros.
Johnson blew up the Combine, but his tape reveals a stiff-hipped runner who generates next to no power on inside runs and has a tendency to become timid at the point of attack. "His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," Cosell said. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style." Johnson's best fit may ultimately be at H-back in the NFL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we draft a tailback in round 3 the namr i like are david johnson and tj yeldon

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Harry what do you think about this scouting report? He did have a very favorable opinion of Cobb.

I've watched a ton of David Johnson and that scouting report is sorta close to true. At this point think of him as a bigger AE. That's kinda how he runs. He's not overly punishing, but most of the runs he took inside there really was no hole to begin with.

In other words, it's kinda hard to judge based off of running behind the offensive live from the University of Northern Iowa.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Coaching, coaching coaching.

That assessment is mostly accurate as far as it goes. When your talking about a round 2 or later back you have to look at what they are and what they could become. He will need to work with a strength coach to take better advantage of his raw talent. If he were coming from a big program with great coaching and facilities I wouldn't like him as much. The combine showed what he could be. He hits the hole quickly, makes good route choices and might be the best receiver among the backs. He's got a great attitude and is very coachable. The only point I would disagree on is timidity. He is not timid. I'm sure there's some YouTube out there to look at. Power is about strength and style. This guy has the tools to develop both. I think he becomes a solid NFL player.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaching, coaching coaching.

That assessment is mostly accurate as far as it goes. When your talking about a round 2 or later back you have to look at what they are and what they could become. He will need to work with a strength coach to take better advantage of his raw talent. If he were coming from a big program with great coaching and facilities I wouldn't like him as much. The combine showed what he could be. He hits the hole quickly, makes good route choices and might be the best receiver among the backs. He's got a great attitude and is very coachable. The only point I would disagree on is timidity. He is not timid. I'm sure there's some YouTube out there to look at. Power is about strength and style. This guy has the tools to develop both. I think he becomes a solid NFL player.

Harry you lost me a little bit. Which RB are you refering to?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Maybe we need to learn more about this guy from Indiana...

Despite a broken right big toe suffered in the fifth game last season against North Texas, Indiana's Tevin Coleman did not miss a game and emerged as one of the most productive running backs in the nation.

He rushed for a school-record 2,036 yards, had four games of 200 yards or more and had eight touchdown runs of 60 yards or longer. He finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy balloting. His nickname is "Rock."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ers-cardinals-sources-say-20150315-story.html

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Also I'm just not convinced the Cards are ready to give up on Ellington getting 20 touches.

I hope leaning so heavily on Ellington again is not their plan. He doesn't have the body for it. I'd rather him be great 10 touches a game all season than average 20 touches a game for half the season like he was last year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
seems u cheering for all the university of texas prospects:D

No, but this one I like... notice how I did not include any of the other players in my recommendations which might appear in this video, and Brown is a much better back than that Grice guy lol

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Sorry I was talking about the Johnson scouting report. I did check YouTube and there is a video. He looked better than when I saw him. BTW he did a nice job on kickoffs as well.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Coleman won't make it to the Cards 2nd round pick. I wish he would but a guy with his talent isn't normally sitting there in the 50's waiting to be drafted.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry I was talking about the Johnson scouting report. I did check YouTube and there is a video. He looked better than when I saw him. BTW he did a nice job on kickoffs as well.

which johsnon u are talkin' about duke or david?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coleman won't make it to the Cards 2nd round pick. I wish he would but a guy with his talent isn't normally sitting there in the 50's waiting to be drafted.

He could be there. Lots of good backs in the draft and there are 3 or 4 rated above him. Cards may not want to take a back in the 2nd and wait to the 3rd or even the 4th round for the big back to go with Ellington. I really like David Cobb Minnesota in the third. But really :shrug: who knows what they will do.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Being a Big 10 fan, I like Cobb as well, but I also like Jeremy Langford from MSU and Abdullah from Nebraska. They are special types of backs. May not be the bruiser RB we think we want to compliment AE, but they tore up some good defenses.

Come to think of it, there are some good RBs coming from the Big 10!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard