Running game

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Wasn't this supposed to be the strength of the offense????

No opennings by the OL, but come on... make some plays. Cut outside. Do somgthing as playmakers. We had absolutely none!

I understand Beanie was hurt today, as usual, but Ryan Williams really diappointed a lot. His numbers 8/9... that's right, 1 yard average! And he seemed slower than Beanie who was battling hamstring.

I knew our run blocking was going to take the most impact by Levi being out. He was really solid in run blocking.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
8-9 hags in the box all day. They dared us to beat them with the pass. And we did.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
When you lose your best two tackles....
And your run game was horrible before they left.....

Odds are you will really suck at it.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Ryan Williams will be anything more than a average back. Good agility and balance but zero speed and acceleration.

Beanie just needs to stay healthy which he rarely is.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't think Ryan Williams will be anything more than a average back. Good agility and balance but zero speed and acceleration.

But wasn't Williams touted for his cut back ability? Didn't see any today.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When you lose your best two tackles....
And your run game was horrible before they left.....

Odds are you will really suck at it.

When did we have two "best" Tackles? Oh "best" compared to what else we had on the roster.

Our offensive line played just like we expected. Terrible. Nothing we can do about it now though. Just hope our D can keep games close and we can win it in the end.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
3 new starters, 7-8 men in the box I'm not shocked. It takes time for Olineman to get on the same page regardless of how good or bad they are IMO. I'm thinking they will get better in the run game, but we also have to sometimes check out of dead run plays with that many guys in the box.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
When did we have two "best" Tackles? Oh "best" compared to what else we had on the roster.

Our offensive line played just like we expected. Terrible. Nothing we can do about it now though. Just hope our D can keep games close and we can win it in the end.
Actually, pass protection was not too bad. Gave up only one sack and John was hardly touched in the first half with some really nice pockets allowing for two nice time consuming drives down the length of the field ending with scores.

Pass protection broke down in the second half when they adjusted their defensive attack and blitzed more often. We never adjusted to counter.

Run blocking was horrendous throughout.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
is not just tackles problem.all the line was,,they couldnt create holes in the middle .i m just glad about massie performance.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would really like to see Powell in there. Dressing Dray, but not Powell when the 3 RBs above him are either dinged up or recovering from injury was stupid IMO

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
Im sorry but there should be no blame put on the backs for today's stats... The Oline was abysmal run blocking.. There isn't a back in the league that could have put up decent stats behind that effort up front today

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, pass protection was not too bad. Gave up only one sack and John was hardly touched in the first half with some really nice pockets allowing for two nice time consuming drives down the length of the field ending with scores.

Pass protection broke down in the second half when they adjusted their defensive attack and blitzed more often. We never adjusted to counter.

Run blocking was horrendous throughout.

I don't know. When Deuce had that ball intercepted he was trying to throw out of bounds it was the third play in a row where a defender ran free at him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Seattle has a fantastic run defense and stacked the box.. not worried about the run game -- not yet, anyway.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't know. When Deuce had that ball intercepted he was trying to throw out of bounds it was the third play in a row where a defender ran free at him.
That was in the 3rd quarter... the pass protection was non existent in the 3rd quarter.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

Can't show off acceleration through a hole when your oline doesn't open up a single one to run through. Him and beanie were given absolutely nothing to work with.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't remember when the running game was "good" so I am not sure of the surprise.

This ain't preseason anymore, and while the Cardinals have had some success here and there with the run, it has not been consistent or dominating for years.

Thus I don't understand the surprise.

Our offensive line is not very good, did people forget that over the 4 days before the 1st game of the season ?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wasn't this supposed to be the strength of the offense????

No opennings by the OL, but come on... make some plays. Cut outside. Do somgthing as playmakers. We had absolutely none!

I understand Beanie was hurt today, as usual, but Ryan Williams really diappointed a lot. His numbers 8/9... that's right, 1 yard average! And he seemed slower than Beanie who was battling hamstring.

I knew our run blocking was going to take the most impact by Levi being out. He was really solid in run blocking.

I blame that running game as much on the plan as on the runners. We ran it up the middle time and time again. Usually on first down. I could even predict it my self. Our OC needs to get his act together when it comes to a running game. We have our #1 high pick in there and he cannot even gain a yard. Was this a dumb pick or did he just have a bad day and a bad game plan for him. He does not look like a guy who you run up the middle over and over. That would be more Beenie's style. He looks more like Mr. outside.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But wasn't Williams touted for his cut back ability? Didn't see any today.

They seemed to run up the middle time and time again. That would not be what Williams is best suited for or even Gail Sayers. Many or most of these runs were usually on first down and predictable. Our plan for running the ball was way off mark IMHO. The coach needs to re think this type of plan and come up with some new and innovative ideas. Do we have any gadget plays or any screens that are not like the sorry screen we threw right into the middle of the pack were the ball is snapped. That play could have easily been intercepted and may have been our only screen of the day. I did not see one innovative offensive play during the game. Till Kolb came in it might as well have been 1 yard and a cloud of dust type football. I hope we have a lot more plays than what we displayed Sunday.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you cant bash the backs when they have NO lanes to run through. Our poor running was on the OL hands down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard