Round 1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Assume Harris and kadarious are trade back candidates?

I believe it’s a mistake to worry about taking a player too early unless there are a few players still available that you have ranked equally. It’s likely a little bit of a reach to take Toney here, but Harris aside he’s the best offensive weapon at this point. I’d be hesitant to assume Harris is safe on a trade down. I know he went round 3 but Toney reminds me of Lockett. His game speed is better than track speed. He just makes plays. I believe he goes round one, but if the Cards don’t take him he’ll likely go 25 or later.

I think the O-line is deep enough, I want a player at 16 who will see snaps

I don’t like Etienne. Doesn’t look tough enough inside the tackles to me. I have durability concerns using him that way or consistently or for short yardage. He’s fine outside but that duplicates Edmonds’ skill set. If they do move back I’m okay with Williams.

Newsome has a better Pro Day than a career. He got the athleticism, but will have more trouble starting as a rookie in year one.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I believe it’s a mistake to worry about taking a player too early unless there are a few players still available that you have ranked equally. It’s likely a little bit of a reach to take Toney here, but Harris aside he’s the best offensive weapon at this point. I’d be hesitant to assume Harris is safe on a trade down. I know he went round 3 but Toney reminds me of Lockett. His game speed is better than track speed. He just makes plays. I believe he goes round one, but if the Cards don’t take him he’ll likely go 25 or later.

I think the O-line is deep enough, I want a player at 16 who will see snaps

I don’t like Etienne. Doesn’t look tough enough inside the tackles to me. I have durability concerns using him that way or consistently or for short yardage. He’s fine outside but that duplicates Edmonds’ skill set. If they do move back I’m okay with Williams.

Newsome has a better Pro Day than a career. He got the athleticism, but will have more trouble starting as a rookie in year one.

Yeah I don't see taking OL round one after trading for Hudson. There are enough RG/RT candidates on the roster and a rookie will have to pretty damn good to beat out the depth in year one, and would likely not even play.

For me I'm looking for Surtain, Horn, Newsome. That's my top 3 because I value CBs on defense. The pass rush should be good to very good.

The only way I'm looking for a RB is a trade down. Not at 16, none of the backs are a good value there. I like Javonte Williams the best; Harris was surrounded by All stars and Williams was super productive on less carries. Etienne is a distant third for me because I don't see enough wiggle and he is slightly undersized. I see Etienne as more of a scat back.

Farley was ranked higher on my CB board, but injuries have dropped him in my eyes. I just wouldn't be comfortable taking him for a team that needs some immediate contributions.

WR is a bit of a luxury. Will the rookie beat out Kirk? AJ Green? I doubt it. WR is now a day three concern unless the stars align.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Harry I'm bullish on Toney as well. Watch his tape, the kid is a stud and makes plays.

I remember the consternation on drafting "slow" Anquan Boldin. Some guys just have dog in them and Toney appears to love making big plays.

DVontel

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see taking OL round one after trading for Hudson. There are enough RG/RT candidates on the roster and a rookie will have to pretty damn good to beat out the depth in year one, and would likely not even play.

For me I'm looking for Surtain, Horn, Newsome. That's my top 3 because I value CBs on defense. The pass rush should be good to very good.

The only way I'm looking for a RB is a trade down. Not at 16, none of the backs are a good value there. I like Javonte Williams the best; Harris was surrounded by All stars and Williams was super productive on less carries. Etienne is a distant third for me because I don't see enough wiggle and he is slightly undersized. I see Etienne as more of a scat back.

Farley was ranked higher on my CB board, but injuries have dropped him in my eyes. I just wouldn't be comfortable taking him for a team that needs some immediate contributions.

WR is a bit of a luxury. Will the rookie beat out Kirk? AJ Green? I doubt it. WR is now a day three concern unless the stars align.
Kind of bad reason imo

What about his actual traits you don’t like?

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kind of bad reason imo

What about his actual traits you don’t like?

I like that tacklers seem to bounce off him, but I question whether that will work as well at the pro level. Also taller backs tend to be bigger targets.

Like I said, Javonte Williams was nearly as productive with nearly 100 less carries in 2020.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
with his back issues -- Farley looks like someone who is there at #16.

if you were the GM:

1. Surtain, Horn and the top WRs are all off the board
2. no trade down offers

(btw: that also seems like a very likely scenario on draft day)

do you roll the dice on Farley?

you get a player that 30 days ago seemed like the easy #1 corner and a guy you had no shot at.

you also get a player who hasnt played football in year and just had (minor) back surgery

Cardsfan77

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

if you were the GM:

2. no trade down offers

you get a player that 30 days ago seemed like the easy #1 corner and a guy you had no shot at.

you also get a player who hasnt played football in year and just had (minor) back surgery
With Farley I’d simply rely on medical expert consensus opinion then pull the trigger without thinking twice if full recovery and lack of reoccurrence is very likely. Quick internet search says 3-4 months before resuming contact sports activity, so he shouldn’t be at risk of missing training camp.

DVontel

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like that tacklers seem to bounce off him, but I question whether that will work as well at the pro level. Also taller backs tend to be bigger targets.

Like I said, Javonte Williams was nearly as productive with nearly 100 less carries in 2020.
What you said about Najee, you can say about JaVonte, lol. Maybe more cause JaVonte looks for contact a little bit too much for liking & will end up with a very short peak.

Production is only half the battle. That’s why traits are always discussed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@Harry I'm bullish on Toney as well. Watch his tape, the kid is a stud and makes plays.

I remember the consternation on drafting "slow" Anquan Boldin. Some guys just have dog in them and Toney appears to love making big plays.
I’m a toney fan too. Wiggle. We don’t have much of that in our wr corps.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

if you were the GM:

2. no trade down offers

I'm likely not taking one of the top 3 WRs even if they're there, but where we stand today I would lean against taking Farley in this situation.

I'd probably take one of the RBs and take the best I can get at CB in the 2nd. Most of the mock drafts I'm seeing lately have all of the RBs off the board before the draft wraps back around to us at 49.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Here’s what I said about Boldin, “Not everyone missed on Boldin, I wrote this before the draft, "The most underrated "name" receiver in the draft is Anquan Boldin. He lacks classic speed (see Jerry Rice), but he is an outstanding athlete who got caught up in last season's FSU circus. He is more than just a possession receiver. Boldin has great instincts and his upside is huge. He will be a big play receiver. He would be a fine selection in round two." I had him as the third best WR in the draft and only two going in round one.

I wrote this after, "Boldin is the best catch in my mind. He is just learning the position and Sullivan is the finest teacher in the NFL. Forget the pure speed issue, Boldin is a threat. He has good game speed, will fight for the ball and isn't afraid to go over the middle. He makes the big play and is excellent at getting separation in the red zone. They also got him at about the right place in the draft."

Toney is not Boldin, but he will be an NFL playmaker.

az jam

Reaction score
With Farley I’d simply rely on medical expert consensus opinion then pull the trigger without thinking twice if full recovery and lack of reoccurrence is very likely. Quick internet search says 3-4 months before resuming contact sports activity, so he shouldn’t be at risk of missing training camp.

Good stuff. I think Farley will be there at #16 and the Cards will take him (they will check out the medical reports for sure) CBs Surtain and Horn will most likely be gone. I like RB Williams in Round 2. I think RBs Harris & Etienne will be gone. I like them getting a CB and RB in the first two rounds.

DVontel

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Might just found our round 1 answer
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harry do you have any opinion on Tyson Campbell, the Georigia CB? Gambo said earlier this week he is a guy the Cards are interested in, and He was number 2 on Chris Sims list of corners in the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokinmik