Roster Locks and What's Up for Grabs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
the WR panic around here is far and away over the top
I wanted one with a gist for the future but the way the game is played now, there will be a ton of 'highly touted' WRs for probably drafts to come... we do have enough this season to be more than sufficient

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided not to be so lazy, I found this.

Roster sizes increased
The new deal expands the size of NFL rosters from 53 players to 55, while allowing two additional players to be active on game days.

It also calls for larger practice squads and better compensation for practice-squad players. Under this deal, practice squads could soon increase to as many as 14 players per team, each making $10,500 per week — an increase of $2,500.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/
42k a month for practice squad... sign me up

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the WR panic around here is far and away over the top

I don't call it panic. Just surprising. It means Keim has confidence in the guys he picked last year.

I mean he took an LSU defensive lineman over Antonio Gandy-Golden, who is a prime Keim midround pick. Small school WR

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz and Kirk don’t really get open. They catch a lot of passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Those are low value passes.

Kirk is really the odd one too. He was #61 in seperation, #88 in yards per target

His 2018 numbers were better but not by much.

Isabella is the one that needs to take the leap this year and then we will be fine

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz had 75 of those low value passes...and still turned them into 10 yards+ average.

His 10.7 yards per reception was #81
Yards per target of 7.4 #69

He isn't a burner anymore but his #4 catch rate of 92.6% is so awesome you can handle some lost yards.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kirk isn’t fast enough to get open without elite route running (which he doesn’t have).

Isabella is fast enough, but his short area quickness isn’t good enough for his strength profile. I’m not banking on him taking a big step forward.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Kirk isn’t fast enough to get open without elite route running (which he doesn’t have).

Isabella is fast enough, but his short area quickness isn’t good enough for his strength profile. I’m not banking on him taking a big step forward.
And the wild card is Butler which from Ive read here is a bit of a head case for not doing everything that's required to learn plays and has a drop issue may not make the team even

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My post draft projected 53 man roster (Starters):

QBs (2): Murray, Hundley

RBs (4): Drake, Edmonds, Benjamin, Foster

WRs: (7) Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella, Johnson, Sherfield, Butler

OL: (10) Humphries, Sweezy, Cole, Pugh, Gilbert, Jones, Murray, Galliard, Garcia, Miles

TE: (3) Williams, Arnold, Daniels

DL: (7) Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, Dogbe, Coley

LBs: (9) Jones, Hicks, Kennard, Simmons, Campbell, Reddick, Gardeck, Weaver, Turner

CB: (4) Peterson, Alford, Murphy, Jones

S: (4) Baker, Thompson, Thompson, Banjo

P: (1) Lee

K: (1) Gonzalez

LS: (1) Brewer

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read Chris.

I think Jones is a lock at CB because he was playing well at the end of last year. If he doesn't make the team then SK did great with UDFA signings.

I think in a 3-4 Defense you have to keep at least 8 LB's on the roster.

Didn't the roster size increase in the new CBA? When does that increase begin, right away or when the league goes to 17 games?

I'm thinking Kirk will be the punt returner but who will return KO's?

At this point I think Weaver either makes the team or ends up on the practice squad so he can build up his strength.

Main roster 55 (now)

Up to 14 on PS

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My post draft projected 53 man roster (Starters):

OL: (10) Humphries, Sweezy, Cole, Pugh, Gilbert, Jones, Murray, Galliard, Garcia, Miles

DL: (7) Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, Dogbe, Coley

LBs: (9) Jones, Hicks, Kennard, Simmons, Campbell, Reddick, Gardeck, Weaver, Turner

S: (4) Baker, Thompson, Thompson, Banjo

It's now a 55 man roster.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nobody is panicking except this newbie clown who's been around three weeks and is already on everyone's ignore list. Hyperbolic pessimism has no takers with a team on a dramatic upswing.
It's called being 20 years old and believing numbers/stats are a substitute for experience watching games :)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's now a 55 man roster.

I don't think it is a true 55 man roster.

The game day active roster is still 46 but you can add up to two player who are currently on your Practice squad (One of the 2 has to be an offensive lineman) per week making it 48 active players.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My post-draft projected 53 man roster (Starters) (_______) Bubble

OL: (10) Humphries, Pugh, Cole, Sweezy, Gilbert, Jones, Murray, Garcia, Miles, Galliard

DL: (8) Peters, Phillips, Allen, Bullard, Fotu, Lawrence, Coley, Dogbe

LBs: (8) Jones, Hicks, Kennard, Simmons, Campbell, Reddick, Gardeck, Weaver

SF (4) Baker, J. Thompson, Thompson, Banjo

12 on the PS.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Plugging hopkins in as wr1 makes kirk and fitz more dangerous, as they will see softer defensive attention. Not worried about wr at all.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it is a true 55 man roster.

The game day active roster is still 46 but you can add up to two player who are currently on your Practice squad per week making it 48 active players.

It's 55 (48) + up to 12 PS. (14 - 2022)

News report on the day of the agreement:

Among the gains:

• An increase from the 47 per cent of league revenues given to the players, with that percentage dependent on the length of the season.
  • A reduction of the pre-season, initially from four games to three. More time off during training camps.
  • Upgraded pensions, with the addition of groups of previous players not included in past agreements.
  • Two more roster spots per team, from 53 to 55; that's 64 more jobs.
  • Larger practice squads with fewer limitations on movement of those players.
  • Narrowing the testing period for players for marijuana use, plus lowered discipline for using it; and a reduction in on-field fines.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I personally would like to see the team look at some available WRs still in FA. I think Rashard Higgins or Demaryius Thomas would fit in well as the #4 WR and could slide to the #3 position if Kirk misses time again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 55 (48) + up to 14 PS.

News report on the day of the agreement:

Among the gains:

• An increase from the 47 per cent of league revenues given to the players, with that percentage dependent on the length of the season.
  • A reduction of the pre-season, initially from four games to three. More time off during training camps.
  • Upgraded pensions, with the addition of groups of previous players not included in past agreements.
  • Two more roster spots per team, from 53 to 55; that's 64 more jobs.
  • Larger practice squads with fewer limitations on movement of those players.
  • Narrowing the testing period for players for marijuana use, plus lowered discipline for using it; and a reduction in on-field fines.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...prove-cba-impact-on-league-in-2020-and-beyond

Teams are also getting bigger. The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson