Roster Locks and What's Up for Grabs

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think you're right:

Roster expansion: There will be some significant changes to active and practice squad rosters under the new CBA:

— The active gameday roster will increase from 46 players to 48, including eight offensive linemen.

— Practice squads will be expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-21 and then to 14 players in 2022. There is also now no limitation on the number of years a player can be on the practice squad.

— According to the NFLPA, "Practice Squad Players elevated to the Active list may be returned to the Practice Squad without having to go through waivers 2 times. Two Practice Squad players each week may be elevated to the Active/Inactive list (increasing the Active/Inactive roster to 54 or 55)."

— An additional player may be designated-to-return from Injured Reserve; previously a team could attempt to return two players from IR, and now that number is three.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the only area they do more work is OLB. Very weak there depth wise.

i am going to guess that VJ is going to throw Redick and Simmons in the Joker role on 3rd and long; that will minimize the EDGE/OLB weakness

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
My post draft projected 53 man roster (Starters):

Very good job. I think your QB, RB, WR, OL, CB, and S projections are spot on.

I think we have an opportunity to upgrade at a few spots...DL, LB, and TE but this roster is pretty set (first time in a long time IMO).

I think Bullard is kept over Dogbe

QBs (2): Murray, Hundley

RBs (4): Drake, Edmonds, Benjamin, Foster

WRs: (7) Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella, Johnson, Sherfield, Butler

OL: (10) Humphries, Sweezy, Cole, Pugh, Gilbert, Jones, Murray, Galliard, Garcia, Miles

TE: (3) Williams, Arnold, Daniels

DL: (7) Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, Bullard, Dogbe/Coley

LBs: (9) Jones, Hicks, Kennard, Simmons, Campbell, Reddick, Gardeck, Weaver, Turner

CB: (4) Peterson, Alford, Murphy, Jones

S: (4) Baker, Thompson, Thompson, Banjo

P: (1) Lee

K: (1) Gonzalez

LS: (1) Brewer

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
that’s why I said Fitz or Kirk

not Fitz and Kirk

you listed 3 guys and are comparing them to 1 guy then? I hope 3 guys combined have more targets than just 1 if those are your starting RB and 3/4th best receivers. Hopkins will take the targets those 3 guys had and then some. If Fitz and Kirk have the same number of targets our offense will be among the elites.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think considering Eno Benjamin a lock would be extremely surprising. I'd guess it's more likely he misses out on the roster (for a minimum salary vet you can depend on in pass pro) than he makes the team.

IMO, 2-down OLB, DL, S, and RB are all ripe for Keim Time Signings.

I don't think Davonta Freeman will play for nothing, but I bet Theo Riddick would appreciate the opportunity.

Pernell McPhee.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lol

first of all, not ALL of his 75 catches were LOS catches

secondly, 10.7 ypr is uh not good
Fitz was 72nd in the league for all WR that got 200+ yards ... and he was even higher for WR that got 750+ yards and for guys that were over 800 yards he was in the top 32 ... gosh guys ... we are making "facts" here ...

He was the 26st #1 WR in the league last year (even if some #2 beat him out in yards) but how the games went last year, there wasn't much more there with all the double teams on him.

The question is not, if Larry is a beast #1 but now with Hopkins a young #1 the question will be, how other teams will treat Larry and how much he is still able to produce as a theoretichl #1-B and with a real #2 in Kirk other teams will be on the heels more time than not.

But again, Larry was an below average #1 WR last year but still, top 32 WR in ypr for guys that had 800+ yards and 33 in total yard. Over 1/5 of our total yards trough air came through Larry. Please see the relations here.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think considering Eno Benjamin a lock would be extremely surprising. I'd guess it's more likely he misses out on the roster (for a minimum salary vet you can depend on in pass pro) than he makes the team.

IMO, 2-down OLB, DL, S, and RB are all ripe for Keim Time Signings.

I don't think Davonta Freeman will play for nothing, but I bet Theo Riddick would appreciate the opportunity.

Pernell McPhee.

Yeah that would be the same logic as Chris Jones as a maybe

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Going on an Arizona Cardinals fan board to argue that Larry Fitzgerald is not good seems to be an unproductive use of one's time, even in a quarantine.

Who said, and I quote, “Larry Fitzgerald is not good”?

Fitzgerald is one of three guys in our WR room that is good. That makes for a crappy room. If Hop, Fitz, and/or Kirk (likely) get hurt then we can’t run your avatar’s offense, chief.

Fitzgerald does have significant limitations, as pointed out by Chris. He also has obviously great traits that made him a good WR (Jamison Crowder good, mind you) in his age 36 year last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Fitzgerald is one of three guys in our WR room that is good. That makes for a crappy room. If Hop, Fitz, and/or Kirk (likely) get hurt then we can’t run your avatar’s offense, chief.

Fitzgerald does have significant limitations, as pointed out by Chris. He also has obviously great traits that made him a good WR in his age 36 year last year.

#Fakenews

You can list on one hand, teams with better WR corps.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is insane.

I literally pointed out facts. Those guys had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th most targets on the team last year. They are all gone.

Unproven WRs like Isabella and Butler are all that’s left. KeeSean got benched for those guys last year. Who else is in the room? Sherfield?

Your move.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I literally pointed out facts. Those guys had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th most targets on the team last year. They are all gone.

Unproven WRs like Isabella and Butler are all that’s left. KeeSean got benched for those guys last year. Who else is in the room? Sherfield?

Your move.

Hopkins absorbs all those targets and then some.

You didnt address my comment that there arent many better WR corps in the NFL. Prove that wrong....I'll wait.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
#Fakenews

You can list on one hand, teams with better WR corps.

I don’t see any rankings post-draft, but in terms of best passing offenses we were 22nd in any/a last year, last in air yards per pass, and added a top-5 WR. I’d say we probably will rate closer to 10th to 12th in any/a this year. That sounds fairly poor for a lock top 5 WR room, as you seem to be portraying, no?

The confidence you have would suggest you’d be willing to lay odds we’ll have a top 5 passing offense per any/a this year.

But I know you’ll slink away and not make the bet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t see any rankings post-draft, but in terms of best passing offenses we were 22nd in any/a last year, last in air yards per pass, and added a top-5 WR. I’d say we probably will rate closer to 10th to 12th in any/a this year. That sounds fairly poor for a lock top 5 WR room, as you seem to be portraying, no?

The confidence you have would suggest you’d be willing to lay odds we’ll have a top 5 passing offense per any/a this year.

They added a top 3 WR. One top player with two other pretty good players along with a handful of legitimate prospects makes a good WR corps.

Easily best WR corps in the NFC West.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Fitzgerald does have significant limitations, as pointed out by Chris. He also has obviously great traits that made him a good WR (Jamison Crowder good, mind you) in his age 36 year last year.

Fitz is our third-best WR, which makes it a pretty good WR room. Andy Isabella could spell either of those guys in a pinch, and then you have a below-average WR room.

EDIT: The 2019 Cards were the 22nd ranked pass offense by DVOA and added a Top 5 WR, plus their franchise QB put another candle on the birthday cake.

By Weighted DVOA (which favors play at the end of the season), the offense was 7th.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fitz is our third-best WR, which makes it a pretty good WR room. Andy Isabella could spell either of those guys in a pinch, and then you have a below-average WR room.

I’m a huge believer in Andy Isabella, but he’s shown to barely be able to get on an NFL field, much less consistently beat opposing CBs. He played 157 snaps (15% of the total) and had 13 targets and 4 rushing attempts. That is not very good.

I wouldn’t bet on him being able to WR3 this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lol at proposing a bet and asking for odds.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Lol at proposing a bet and asking for odds.

He did the same thing wanting to bet people that Hundley wouldn’t make the team because of a civil suit asking a ridiculous 10 to 1...I even offered to go $100 straight up, loser pays a non profit Maricopa County women’s shelter, he didn’t respond.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson