Roster Locks and What's Up for Grabs

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the players I see as locks to make the roster. I see 38 players that are locks right now. 3 players are likely to make it unless more FA are added and the remaining players are fighting for 14 jobs.

QBs (2): Murray, Hundley, Anderson, Streveler

RBs (3): Drake, Edmonds, Benjamin, Foster

WRs: (4) Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella, Johnson, Sherfield, Butler, Dixon, Richardson

OL: (8) Humphries, Sweezy, Cole, Pugh, Gilbert, Jones, Murray, Galliard, Garcia, Toth, Jones, Miles

TE: (2) Willliams, Arnold, Daniels

DL: (5) Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, Dogbe, Bullard, Brown, Coley, Johnson

LBs: (5) Jones, Hicks, Kennard, Simmons, Campbell, Reddick, Gardeck, Weaver, Turner, Vallejo, Fitts, Dora, Bierria

CB: (3) Peterson, Alford, Murphy, Jones, Davis, Shelton, Chachere, Thomas,

S: (3) Baker, Thompson, Thompson, Banjo, Washington

P: (1) Lee, Winslow

K: (1) Gonzalez

LS: (1) Brewer

The almost locks.

Keesan Johnson was the camp darling that faded out. I believe the Cardinals will carry 6 WRs on the roster so absent of a FA add one of Johnson, Butler, and Sherfield is out. Keesan has the edge in that group.

Max Garcia would be in my locks to make the roster but AQ Shipley could still be brought back.

Chris Jones was an almost lock just because of how bad this depth is at the corner position.

The rest

TE and CB clearly need a bit of depth.

Can Reddick beat out Gardeck and Weaver for a LB spot? I am guessing we only keep 7.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read Chris.

I think Jones is a lock at CB because he was playing well at the end of last year. If he doesn't make the team then SK did great with UDFA signings.

I think in a 3-4 Defense you have to keep at least 8 LB's on the roster.

Didn't the roster size increase in the new CBA? When does that increase begin, right away or when the league goes to 17 games?

I'm thinking Kirk will be the punt returner but who will return KO's?

At this point I think Weaver either makes the team or ends up on the practice squad so he can build up his strength.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let’s all admire the CRAZY DEEP WR ROOM of

Hop
37 year old Fitz
Kirk misses 25% of his games
Isabella (maybe not even a lock)

no one else a lock

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry he is, unless you have some obscure logic which defies having a vet who was able to win when called upon while your other options have no actual NFL experience :)

There’s a ~10-25% chance he will get cut once Mike fully investigates the DV allegations against him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our WR room blows. We relied heavily on Cooper and Byrd and DJ last year. Those guys, combined, had more targets than Fitz or Kirk.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good read Chris.

I think Jones is a lock at CB because he was playing well at the end of last year. If he doesn't make the team then SK did great with UDFA signings.

I think in a 3-4 Defense you have to keep at least 8 LB's on the roster.

Didn't the roster size increase in the new CBA? When does that increase begin, right away or when the league goes to 17 games?

I'm thinking Kirk will be the punt returner but who will return KO's?

At this point I think Weaver either makes the team or ends up on the practice squad so he can build up his strength.

Roster size for the CBA I saw was an increase in active players from 46 to 48. I didn't see a larger roster size

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have exactly one WR that can get open downfield.

We need to do work in the draft next year with pass catchers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the only area they do more work is OLB. Very weak there depth wise.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our WR room blows. We relied heavily on Cooper and Byrd and DJ last year. Those guys, combined, had more targets than Fitz or Kirk.

I was surprised we didn't make a single WR pick with such a deep WR draft. The options in free agency aren't great either. Rashad Higgins or Chris Hogan being the best of the bunch.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chris Jones is an easy lock.

I had him as a lock initially but I could see a Keim signing late that forces him out. There are a lot of decent veteran corners looking for jobs after the draft.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Roster size for the CBA I saw was an increase in active players from 46 to 48. I didn't see a larger roster size

Decided not to be so lazy, I found this.

Roster sizes increased
The new deal expands the size of NFL rosters from 53 players to 55, while allowing two additional players to be active on game days.

It also calls for larger practice squads and better compensation for practice-squad players. Under this deal, practice squads could soon increase to as many as 14 players per team, each making $10,500 per week — an increase of $2,500.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided not to be so lazy, I found this.

Roster sizes increased
The new deal expands the size of NFL rosters from 53 players to 55, while allowing two additional players to be active on game days.

It also calls for larger practice squads and better compensation for practice-squad players. Under this deal, practice squads could soon increase to as many as 14 players per team, each making $10,500 per week — an increase of $2,500.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/

So it matches the increase. Awesome I will adjust the front