Reasons to not panic;

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any cards fan with eyes can see that VJ is not a good DC, a good DC could figure out how to use Collins & Simmons, especially Simmons. That kid was amazing at Clemson & there's no way he just forgot how to play defense since he left.
VJ was a bit of a bind with the talent on this defense. He was forced to blitz way too often.
I think it will be a little opposite. Denver actually has some talent so I doubt they are going to be pathetic. Around here We are probably going to hear “ this dc makes VJ look like a genius ”.
I’m not sorry he left. I’m glad the entire lot of them are gone.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Cards did not sign Allen or Murphy because either they did not want to be here or Monti felt they were not worth the money, not because Bidwill is cheap because those contracts were not cap busters and something Michael would have done in the past with Keim giving the green light. I can only guess, but imagine Monti only wants extended contracts with players he had a hand in drafting and were his choice from the get go
That would be dumb and insanely arrogant. I'm hoping it's not the case.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m building a team, it’s starting with RB, guard center guard, defensive tackle, middle linebacker, safety. We don’t have all of those, but we’ve got some, and the ability to add the rest on our own terms through the draft. And we should get a unicorn edge rusher in the process. So suck it, and damn the torpedoes.

I think this rebuild is longer than 1 season. However If I'm rebuilding I start with the front 7 of the Defense and OL (with OT being the most important). I think the Cardinals are OK at OT for the time being. Their LB crew is solid. DL is where the big issues are and that needs to be addressed ASAP.

In the Draft I go:

Anderson - Instant Edge Rusher on the DL

Then look at the middle of lines on both sides of the ball. DT and C. There should be a lot of players available in the 2nd that can start immediately at C or DT. This is where the Cardinals need to get another 2nd rounder for DHop via trade.

Then I look at maybe CB or another DT

Later in the Draft I snag a RB or two.

Not going to be able to completely rebuild the team in one offseason but the groundwork is laid.

Stout

Reaction score
Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed because 2023 is not what we're building for. It would be foolish to bend over backwards so that we can go 8-9 instead of 4-13. Gannon and Ossenfort are taking a more long-term view. Build up the resources, stockpile draft picks, create more room under the cap and then 2024 and 2025 will be our time.
Hmm, I forgot we were only allowed to sign them both to 1-year deals. Interesting. So you're saying we weren't allowed to sign our good young players to, say, long-term deals so they could be involved in making the team good in 2024 and 2025? That's a fresh take lol

Stout

Reaction score
I think this rebuild is longer than 1 season. However If I'm rebuilding I start with the front 7 of the Defense and OL (with OT being the most important). I think the Cardinals are OK at OT for the time being. Their LB crew is solid. DL is where the big issues are and that needs to be addressed ASAP.

In the Draft I go:

Then look at the middle of lines on both sides of the ball. DT and C. There should be a lot of players available in the 2nd that can start immediately at C or DT. This is where the Cardinals need to get another 2nd rounder for DHop via trade.

Not going to be able to completely rebuild the team in one offseason but the groundwork is laid.
:thumbup: To this plan.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score

In the Draft I go:

Unfortunely Ive been watching a rebuild except a very few seasons here and there since the 70s

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm, I forgot we were only allowed to sign them both to 1-year deals. Interesting. So you're saying we weren't allowed to sign our good young players to, say, long-term deals so they could be involved in making the team good in 2024 and 2025? That's a fresh take lol
Right?!? This using the “we are going to have a bad 2023 so we should pass on adding talent” is perhaps the most short-sighted excuse making I’ve ever seen on this board.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right?!? This using the “we are going to have a bad 2023 so we should pass on adding talent” is perhaps the most short-sighted excuse making I’ve ever seen on this board.
Except that is not the argument that some of our are saying. Bidwill overextended himself with the Kliff/Keim extensions as well as the Murray contract and he isn't going to spend the money on adding free agent talent this year, or in almost any year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Except that is not the argument that some of our are saying. Bidwill overextended himself with the Kliff/Keim extensions as well as the Murray contract and he isn't going to spend the money on adding free agent talent this year, or in almost any year.
Lol well that’s an enormous problem that should have us all ending our fandom if you believe that.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed because 2023 is not what we're building for. It would be foolish to bend over backwards so that we can go 8-9 instead of 4-13. Gannon and Ossenfort are taking a more long-term view. Build up the resources, stockpile draft picks, create more room under the cap and then 2024 and 2025 will be our time.
Both were okay, meh players, worthy if wringing your hands and pouting, not for me.
i think the team has a longer term thinker in charge whose background appears solid, can't ask for more than that at this time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol well that’s an enormous problem that should have us all ending our fandom if you believe that.
I do, and it probably should.

You could argue that JJ Watt was our best free agent signing of all time, and that was only two years ago. The only other one that comes close is Warner.
Then you are looking at players like Edgerin James and the washed up Emmitt Smith.

Cards have given us ample time to end our fandom and most of us are still here anyway. It is a disease, addiction, or something even worse.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Cards have given us ample time to end our fandom and most of us are still here anyway. It is a disease, addiction, or something even worse.
Indeed. There is nothing rational or logical about tying ourselves to inarguably one of the most pathetic ownership groups in the NFL, but yet we're here.

Maybe we're the real hopeful ones?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No panic here. Just resignation to another season of suckitude coming up. I'll be 70 years old just after the season begins and have endured the temporary highs and the many lows over the last 50+ years. I never "panic" over a game, never. If they win and make the playoffs, GREAT! But, I'm expecting 3-4 wins tops.

I did see them in one SB, which is more than I ever hoped for (even in a loss). I always hope for the best and expect the worst with this team. I will always root for the home team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1) Byron Murphy. Would have liked to keep him but you know PP had to have been in his ear Relentlessly. This was a long shot. Good for him. I’m over it.

2) Zach Allen. He knows where he is relative to other players. He needs to put himself in the best position to maximize a third contract, and that logically starts with the DC. Another long shot. I’m over it here also. Good for him I hope he does well, always seemed like a guy you could win with. He wasn’t coming back, nobody with a straight face could say otherwise.

Either of these guys might have returned if we taped the checkbook to a hammer (just made that up, not bad right?), but would that have been better, or worse?

3) I don’t have any comment one way or another on the former Iggles flying south for the winter, other than that’s just part of the rebuild. They can’t not do this. This isn’t an indictment of the current front office, it just is what it is. It would be dumb to bring in the same caliber players from some other random organization as opposed to ones who they think can help implement what they want to do, no?

D) The draft. This would be a hard draft to mess up, whether they stayed put at 3, traded down to 4 (yes please), or traded down again (nobody is trading up to 4, right? Right?). Draft defense and running game. They have to anyway, and it gives them a chance at least to be competitive until the next item on the list.

5) Kyler Murray. I’m very bullish on this one. Dude is keeping receipts on the doubters. I would not be surprised at all if he comes back a vastly improved player. That’s my gut feeling. Flame away. Or don’t. Whichever.

6) Our linebackers. I think you’re nuts if you give up on these guys. Way too much emphasis is put on them being off the ball. It’s easy to say and sounds provocative, but to think that either one of them doesn’t know how to play any of the LB spots is nuts. Besides the problem was VJ right? Right? You can’t have a quality defense without quality linebackers. Again I’m pretty bullish on this group as well.

7) Our offense is going to run through the running game (from the department of redundancy department), so go ahead and get what you can for Hopkins. He’s a mercenary, which he should be. Hope he does great for the Bears next year.
1. He will be missed, he was cheap, and this is his life long home. An insane swing and miss here.
2. Sure. I guess.
3. I think this is common for a coach to bring in his own guys. No issues.
D. I think we are going to trade back and take Carter anyways. When Will Anderson is the only choice (IMO) they will choose mustard.

5. I was a key hype man when he was drafted. His regression over the past 20ish games played has tainted my view of his work ethic. I think the only receipts this kid keeps are his kills in Call of Duty or Fortnight and his shooting percentage in NBA 2k. Why would you think he would get better after an entire offseason of knee rehab instead of normal practice is beyond me.

6. No one has given up but nothing is resolved. IS was another miss by me and he hasn't shown the next level football awareness needed at the position. He has super lazy eyes and has found out that his insane athleticism can't make up for the mistakes he makes on the field. When he gets it right...... he looks special. When he gets it wrong, he is a mid-carder.

Zaven was an insane draft pick by our lazy ass GM. One of these two guys needs to be made into a D-End IMO and I'm not sure which one it should be.

IMO you can't say VJ was a problem in point 6 when you said one of the reasons Zach left was that he was a good DC. Honestly...... I'm with others who think they are all mid-carders to mediocre who will get large contracts and leave when their deals are up. Or as I am putting it...... the "Cardinal Way". #NoEgo

7. Easier said than done when the weakest part of your already bottom 3 NFL depth chart are both of your lines. If you think we will be running a ton (I tend to think we might try also) we have a lot to do there. And we could have started in free-agency if they really felt the need to improve was there.

Literally...... What in the holy hell are we attempting to do with this team and this franchise? IMO it's one of the most underrated (and under reported) **** shows in all of American sports at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. He will be missed, he was cheap, and this is his life long home. An insane swing and miss here.
2. Sure. I guess.
3. I think this is common for a coach to bring in his own guys. No issues.
D. I think we are going to trade back and take Carter anyways. When Will Anderson is the only choice (IMO) they will choose mustard.

5. I was a key hype man when he was drafted. His regression over the past 20ish games played has tainted my view of his work ethic. I think the only receipts this kid keeps are his kills in Call of Duty or Fortnight and his shooting percentage in NBA 2k. Why would you think he would get better after an entire offseason of knee rehab instead of normal practice is beyond me.

6. No one has given up but nothing is resolved. IS was another miss by me and he hasn't shown the next level football awareness needed at the position. He has super lazy eyes and has found out that his insane athleticism can't make up for the mistakes he makes on the field. When he gets it right...... he looks special. When he gets it wrong, he is a mid-carder.

Zaven was an insane draft pick by our lazy ass GM. One of these two guys needs to be made into a D-End IMO and I'm not sure which one it should be.

IMO you can't say VJ was a problem in point 6 when you said one of the reasons Zach left was that he was a good DC. Honestly...... I'm with others who think they are all mid-carders to mediocre who will get large contracts and leave when their deals are up. Or as I am putting it...... the "Cardinal Way". #NoEgo

7. Easier said than done when the weakest part of your already bottom 3 NFL depth chart are both of your lines. If you think we will be running a ton (I tend to think we might try also) we have a lot to do there. And we could have started in free-agency if they really felt the need to improve was there.

Literally...... What in the holy hell are we attempting to do with this team and this franchise? IMO it's one of the most underrated (and under reported) **** shows in all of American sports at this point.
One interesting situation is the use of Simmons, Collins, and White. If the Cardinals move to a 4-3 as expected, I think Simmons fit becomes much better as an OLB. Collins I'm not so sure of; I think he's a better a better fit at OLB as well. White is definitely not a MIKE.

I also think that some of the answers are on the roster. Cam Thomas is an intriguing fit at SDE. Sanders looks to be a rotational fit at WDE. Tackle is fairly ugly right now with Strong, Lawrence, Fotu, and Ledbetter (or is he a DE?). If you add Will Anderson Jr., end doesn't look too bad.