Realistic options to improve the frontcourt

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As I view it, Plumlee is the best center the Suns have but unfortunately he should be a backup center. I would be very pleased with him in that role. He would have been a nice backup for Lopez.
To reach and move up in the playoffs, we need a Center and backup who will be a presence in the paint.

Whether for disappointing/inconsistent performances, foul trouble, frail bones or whatever, we don't have that.

My biggest gripe with Frye on the roster was that he became our backup Center and did not give us a presence in the paint. He didn't give us a strong presence at Power Forward, either.

As someone posted, there is a difference between spreading the floor from the "4" position and staying camped out at 3-point range.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop building teams around elite Guards

Or: Think about this problem before you invest heavily in three guys who all play the same position, and after having drafted a fourth one.

This. Not that big men grow on trees but it could impact the way you draft, approach free agency or stock up on talent to allow tradeable assets to get better big men in here.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I may be the only one interested in Meyers Leonard but I would consider a trade for him if Portland were willing (which seems unlikely). IMO, he has the potential to be coached up like Plumlee.
I'm getting the suspicion Meyers Leonard probably stinks. The Blazers have awful depth and Leonard saw Joel Freeland gobble up most of his minutes. In the sparing time Leonard did play he did next to nothing.

is kenneth faried no longer a fit? I remember about a year ago his name came up a lot as a potential target for the suns.

I love Faried, I've loved him for years, but seeing as the Nuggets just extended him I don't think trading for him is realistic.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
With the televised games and the RiseNetwork (finally) watching 5 games I'm starting to worry about Tucker. Either bench role, DUI incident, etc. - if he doesn't start playing with intensity of last 2 years...

I'd consider: Tucker and Ennis for Amir Johnson. Raptors get their guy in Draft and former Pick in Tucker, and make room for Patterson.

Tucker and Ennis for Taj Gibson. Bulls could use Tucker's defensive ability and this puts Mirotic as stretch 4 off of bench for Gasol.

Tucker and Ennis for Greg Monroe. Pistons get 3 and D player at SF, experiment at PG with Ennis.

I figured I'd never be in favor of Trading Tucker but consider me worried. Johnson and Gibson are good defenders, while Monroe could start at C and help on boards.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the televised games and the RiseNetwork (finally) watching 5 games I'm starting to worry about Tucker. Either bench role, DUI incident, etc. - if he doesn't start playing with intensity of last 2 years...

I'd consider: Tucker and Ennis for Amir Johnson. Raptors get their guy in Draft and former Pick in Tucker, and make room for Patterson.

Tucker and Ennis for Taj Gibson. Bulls could use Tucker's defensive ability and this puts Mirotic as stretch 4 off of bench for Gasol.

Tucker and Ennis for Greg Monroe. Pistons get 3 and D player at SF, experiment at PG with Ennis.

I figured I'd never be in favor of Trading Tucker but consider me worried. Johnson and Gibson are good defenders, while Monroe could start at C and help on boards.

I'd go for any of those deals but I doubt that Toronto, Chicago or Detroit would. The Pistons might if we they haven't picked up any decent offers by the deadline as it's the kind offense that Monroe might shine in (so he might agree to the deal). But I'm not overly concerned about PJ, I think he'll get back into shape and return to form. I was hoping he'd actually added a little to his game during the summer but that's looking like wishful thinking.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Jahadi White

But seriously. I would look at dusting off the corpse of Jermaine O'neal again. He's been pretty decent the past few years.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jahadi White

But seriously. I would look at dusting off the corpse of Jermaine O'neal again. He's been pretty decent the past few years.

I wonder if he either isn't healthy or (and I suspect more likely) has secretly been a terrible locker room guy. He has played respectably the past several years but has drawn little interest around the league, he has also played on 6 different teams in the last 8 years.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I may be the only one interested in Meyers Leonard but I would consider a trade for him if Portland were willing (which seems unlikely). IMO, he has the potential to be coached up like Plumlee.

I really liked M Leonard at Draft time but he's struggled in NBA (thus far) but has now made 5+ 3PTers in Preseason lol so he may no longer be available. Biyombo, M Leonard, P Young, Hasheem Thabeet, etc. were players I would've looked to get on the cheap (Miles Plumlee potential breakout like, for top 2 listed) for depth at Center.

But now I'm likely more interested in upgrade at backup/starting PF. Making it a 2 for 1 Trade possibly and to Trade one of many backup Guards. I think Gerald Green is a keeper, and Goodwin has more versatility than Ennis. With Tucker's struggles and Marcus being starter, Green/Warren needing minutes - I could see those two being available. Then again, maybe Tucker is just saving energy for Regular Season. Nearly every year but this year, there's only been 1 Pre-Season Game to view so maybe it's not even an issue.

So Tucker or not: IMO; Dragic, Bledsoe, and (at that contract) Thomas are keepers. Plumlee and Len being on cheaper contracts at Center/potential could be keepers. Morrii locked up. Green playing hard and being most entertaining on Team, with reasonable contract $6-8/yearly and I'd like him back. Warren and Goodwin's talent and youth. Zoran needing time to show his Game - the remaining players and boatload of Draft Picks ('15 and possibly future
Picks) are really the only (IMO) options to improve, via Trade. None of the others are bringing back great package back, Tucker may need to show some fire.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked M Leonard at Draft time but he's struggled in NBA (thus far) but has now made 5+ 3PTers in Preseason lol so he may no longer be available. Biyombo, M Leonard, P Young, Hasheem Thabeet, etc. were players I would've looked to get on the cheap (Miles Plumlee potential breakout like, for top 2 listed) for depth at Center.

But now I'm likely more interested in upgrade at backup/starting PF. Making it a 2 for 1 Trade possibly and to Trade one of many backup Guards. I think Gerald Green is a keeper, and Goodwin has more versatility than Ennis. With Tucker's struggles and Marcus being starter, Green/Warren needing minutes - I could see those two being available. Then again, maybe Tucker is just saving energy for Regular Season. Nearly every year but this year, there's only been 1 Pre-Season Game to view so maybe it's not even an issue.

So Tucker or not: IMO; Dragic, Bledsoe, and (at that contract) Thomas are keepers. Plumlee and Len being on cheaper contracts at Center/potential could be keepers. Morrii locked up. Green playing hard and being most entertaining on Team, with reasonable contract $6-8/yearly and I'd like him back. Warren and Goodwin's talent and youth. Zoran needing time to show his Game - the remaining players and boatload of Draft Picks ('15 and possibly future
Picks) are really the only (IMO) options to improve, via Trade. None of the others are bringing back great package back, Tucker may need to show some fire.

If we move Tucker we'll have to wait awhile because of CBA rules. I think any trade we make is almost going to have to include Goodwin and Ennis in addition to picks. I just don't see either player or any of our picks as having enough value alone to bring back the kind of player we need. And you could easily make the case that we don't need one player, we need two.

We need a stretch four that can defend on the perimeter, provide help defense and still defend down low and we need a solid inside presence at the five spot. I know all the knocks against Frye but his absence is very telling right now as he provided all of those things (with varying degrees of success). Hopefully, Jeff is figuring out a different way to play because using Keef to stretch the court is just asking for problems IMO.

Steve

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we make a move I would think it will be after December 15th as that's the day when players who signed contracts in the offseason can be moved. Hopefully any deal we make would send Tolliver out of here, his deal is cheap and not guaranteed for year 2. I think having the open roster spot in case someone becomes available would be better than keeping him around based off of what I've seen from him in preseason.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
If we move Tucker we'll have to wait awhile because of CBA rules. I think any trade we make is almost going to have to include Goodwin and Ennis in addition to picks. I just don't see either player or any of our picks as having enough value alone to bring back the kind of player we need. And you could easily make the case that we don't need one player, we need two.

We need a stretch four that can defend on the perimeter, provide help defense and still defend down low and we need a solid inside presence at the five spot. I know all the knocks against Frye but his absence is very telling right now as he provided all of those things (with varying degrees of success). Hopefully, Jeff is figuring out a different way to play because using Keef to stretch the court is just asking for problems IMO.

Steve

Jeff Green (to an extent) could be stretch four, defend on perimeter, defend post up PF's in similar fashion to Frye, take charges or with athleticism block an occasional shot, but obviously he's no presence at Center. Terrence Jones, maybe but doubt he'd be available and not a presence at Center. Earl Clark if he didn't underperform first time around lol.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd like to see us pull a trade with Utah for Favors.

Everything on the table except for Dragic, Bled and Thomas. Maybe even one of those 3...

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Steve, how about:

P.J. Tucker and Tyler Ennis to 76ers
Jason Richardson (expiring contract or possible retiring from NBA), and Lakers Pick back to LA Lakers
Jordan Hill, Jerami Grant, and JaKarr Sampson to Suns

Suns get a solid big and 2 stretch fours. Lakers get Pick back. Sixers Trade just to cement status as most Trades in a year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Jazz imo also have two centers who will both be way better than Plumlee and maybe even Len.

We need to pull a trade for Kanter or preferably Gobert.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stop the sillyness.

The Answer is really clear.

Alex Len.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read he still has not been cleared to play. According to reports half the teams in the league have contacted him but it looks like he will have to retire.

I read he won't be ready until January and then a lot of teams are interested.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, how about:

P.J. Tucker and Tyler Ennis to 76ers
Jason Richardson (expiring contract or possible retiring from NBA), and Lakers Pick back to LA Lakers
Jordan Hill, Jerami Grant, and JaKarr Sampson to Suns

Suns get a solid big and 2 stretch fours. Lakers get Pick back. Sixers Trade just to cement status as most Trades in a year.

LOL. I don't know that the Lakers will be willing to part with their best player.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns should just say "the hell with it" and let Green play the backup SG / SF / PF spots. Suns are going to get killed inside anyway. May as well experience the comedy of watching a PF try to guard Green on the other end.

They're just going to flat-out run teams into the ground this season. And Thomas coming off the bench is going to be such a pain in the ass for most teams. I, for one, would love to see them occasionally roll out:

Thomas / Bledsoe / Dragic / Green / Morris

May as well embrace what you are this season. Some Suns fans are going to be pissed because the they will be anything but traditional. But, despite how good they were last year, they are still in the middle of a rebuild and are missing one or two pieces. So why not play to your strengths instead of trying to shoe-horn in a crappy big just for the sake of being traditional.

If Len can be even halfway decent then this problem goes away a little. But he's still a few years away from, hopefully, reaching his potential. And he has to remain healthy.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They're just going to flat-out run teams into the ground this season.

The problem is that they really haven't done that in their two most recent preseason games, even when multiple PGs have been on the floor. What are they waiting for?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that they really haven't done that in their two most recent preseason games, even when multiple PGs have been on the floor. What are they waiting for?

Bledsoe isn't great at pushing the tempo, Dragic left his legs in Europe and our bigs aren't cooperating. Our big guys are rebounding and then holding the ball or making stupid/lazy passes or jogging down court even when they should be part of the break. But hopefully Goran will turn it up when the season starts, without him I don't know that we can effectively play that way as a team. We have some guys that can be one man fast breaks but those are pretty easy to contain, we need more of a team effort for it to work IMO.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Keyword: preseason

Not really worried about it at the moment. No need for them to go full-speed during the preseason. Right now it's all about evaluation and figuring out minutes. Once the season starts I'll bet the Suns look a little different.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard