Realistic options to improve the frontcourt

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think anyone denies we have a problem up front. Hopefully Len has been pumping himself full of the same stuff Ivan Drago got in his space age training, but I doubt it.

Plumlee is not awful, he is solid on the glass, he would qualify as a great backup center but he is too limited and inconsistent to be relied upon as a starter, especially with a weak rebounding and defensive PF along side him.

So... who might be out there?

At the moment I don't think there are a ton of options but once the season get rolling some sellers will emerge.

I think Denver is going to struggle, Mozgov and McGee will probably be attainable. I do not want McGee, but Mozgov would be interesting. He is basically a bigger Plumlee, so not exactly an upgrade, but would probably be relatively cheap and improve the depth a lot.

Samuel Dalembert. Would likely be super cheap, improve the depth and interior defense.

Kevin Garnett and Brook Lopez. Lopez's feet scare me, I also think the Nyets would want a ton for him. KG on the other hand would probably be much more attainable, the hardest part in getting him would be getting the salaries to match. He also is about 78 years old in NBA years.

Roy Hibbert. If people want a big splash he is probably the most realistic candidate. He also was horrible last season and is a questionable fit with our team (he is slow... super slow). I'm not sure what the asking price would be but I think we could meet it without giving up any of our current "core" (loosely defined as our PGs and the Morrii), but the Laker pick would probably be a must.

We also could probably get Scola back for a 2nd round pick and a stick of gum, but that would make Steve's head explode so lets hope it does not come to pass.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone denies we have a problem up front. Hopefully Len has been pumping himself full of the same stuff Ivan Drago got in his space age training, but I doubt it.

Plumlee is not awful, he is solid on the glass, he would qualify as a great backup center but he is too limited and inconsistent to be relied upon as a starter, especially with a weak rebounding and defensive PF along side him.

So... who might be out there?

At the moment I don't think there are a ton of options but once the season get rolling some sellers will emerge.

I think Denver is going to struggle, Mozgov and McGee will probably be attainable. I do not want McGee, but Mozgov would be interesting. He is basically a bigger Plumlee, so not exactly an upgrade, but would probably be relatively cheap and improve the depth a lot.

Samuel Dalembert. Would likely be super cheap, improve the depth and interior defense.

Kevin Garnett and Brook Lopez. Lopez's feet scare me, I also think the Nyets would want a ton for him. KG on the other hand would probably be much more attainable, the hardest part in getting him would be getting the salaries to match. He also is about 78 years old in NBA years.

Roy Hibbert. If people want a big splash he is probably the most realistic candidate. He also was horrible last season and is a questionable fit with our team (he is slow... super slow). I'm not sure what the asking price would be but I think we could meet it without giving up any of our current "core" (loosely defined as our PGs and the Morrii), but the Laker pick would probably be a must.

We also could probably get Scola back for a 2nd round pick and a stick of gum, but that would make Steve's head explode so lets hope it does not come to pass.

It's too late, just the idea of it started the process. Now there's Steve bits all over the computer.

I really have no interest in any of the players you mentioned although Mozgov would be alright. I know McGee is dumb and expensive but I'd jump at the chance to get him. Granted, that might be due to a lack of exposure to the guy as I only know him from a handful of games.

But Hibbert is not an answer for us IMO. Instead of Roy, I'd see what it took to bring Monroe in. We probably wouldn't have the money to sign him at the end of the year but if Management thought the cap increase gave them enough room to make it work, it would give us a nice test drive on him. He's not ideal but he's better than what we have. He's a one trick pony and as far as one trick ponies go, I'd rather have one that played defense. But I don't see a good option there. If we do go the Hibbert route, I hope we can trade the twins for a Channing Frye clone otherwise we're going to struggle at both ends of the court.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Samuel Dalembert for the right price.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd see what it took to bring Monroe in. We probably wouldn't have the money to sign him at the end of the year but if Management thought the cap increase gave them enough room to make it work, it would give us a nice test drive on him.

Didn't he sign the one-year? That means his Bird rights don't travel with him and he'd have to approve a trade. Not happening.

The best realistic option is probably Larry Sanders.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT was a steal even if the Suns have three other players that can play PG. I think the Suns drafting Ennis was an insurance policy or a trade piece... if not then I don't know. Looking back on the draft, Jusuf Nurkic would have filled a more immediate and perhaps long term need for the Suns.

Errntknght

Reaction score
IT was a steal even if the Suns have three other players that can play PG. I think the Suns drafting Ennis was an insurance policy or a trade piece... if not then I don't know. Looking back on the draft, Jusuf Nurkic would have filled a more immediate and perhaps long term need for the Suns.

IIRC, Nurkic was drafted before Ennis... we'd have had to forego drafting Warren to get him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or: Think about this problem before you invest heavily in three guys who all play the same position, and after having drafted a fourth one.

I just don't see how getting better at the guard position cost us at the 4 and the 5. We had the money but there just wasn't a good match for us. I don't think there was a solid big man available for Dudley either. The only thing I'd do differently recently is I'd have passed on Ennis and drafted another big man. But all that really would have done is give us another big man project. Hopefully, McDonough has a plan to turn some of our pieces into what we need. Or, we can hope the highest pick in our recent history grows into his position.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Nurkic was drafted before Ennis... we'd have had to forego drafting Warren to get him.

I know. However, unless the Suns are sure Warren will be a star, Nurkic would have helped the Suns in a position of need. I'd be more comfortable now if Nurkic were on the roster with Plumlee and Len.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know. However, unless the Suns are sure Warren will be a star, Nurkic would have helped the Suns in a position of need. I'd be more comfortable now if Nurkic were on the roster with Plumlee and Len.
Yup, it is the old question about drafting the BPA or fill a position of need.

I have always believed in filling a position of need for a well balanced team, especially for when you make the post-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Nurkic but I do expect Warren to be the better player.

Steve

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
What about Josh Smith? There's a lot of speculation that he's going to be the odd man out with SVG now.

Obviously he's not the answer at the 5 but could be interesting?

I hate watching him play but he'd be a defensive upgrade over any of our other PFs.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the idea of Larry Sanders too. He's got a lot of Serge Ibaka in him, but IMO better defensively... but also a lot crazier.

I was not endorsing Hibbert, I think he would be a terrible fit, but I bet he will be available, and we will be floated as a destination.

If the Peli-Jazz-Horns stink I'd be down with a Ryan Anderson trade, fix some of the rebounding issues and would be amazing for spacing. Not sure what the cost would be but given that they're like 2 dollars short of the luxury tax they might be looking to cut some costs if they suck. Unfortunetly they'd probably want to send Evans with him... and Evans makes my stomach churn.

And as to the "need vs BPA"... in the NBA Draft I'd go BPA every single time no matter what. Its a shallow draft pool as it is, you start reaching out of that pond and your chances of getting a bust go through the roof.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And as to the "need vs BPA"... in the NBA Draft I'd go BPA every single time no matter what. Its a shallow draft pool as it is, you start reaching out of that pond and your chances of getting a bust go through the roof.

That's true even if the pool is decent. For example, if the Suns thought that Ennis was the best player available at #18, but knew they didn't have a use for him, they should have drafted him and traded him immediately to Toronto, as the Raptors were begging them to do. Instead they sat on him until his value plummeted, it became even more obvious that they have no use for him, and now the pick is a total loss.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not up or down on Ennis, but its way too soon to call it a total loss. I doubt many teams out there make massive changes in their evaluation of a player based on their sparing play in some meaningless games. If a few teams liked Ennis a ton in June I suspect they still like him.

Back on the BPA point though. In that Kerr interview I posted a few months back when he was talking about the Suns failed draft day trade for Curry he mentioned that had they known they were not getting Curry they would have selected Jru Holiday at 14, but instead, thinking they now had a load of PGs, they went to fill a "need" at forward and drafted Earl Clark.

Whoops.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The best realistic option is probably Larry Sanders.

I'd consider buying low on Sanders. He could probably get some spoon fed dunks, and would drastically improve our D. Even at 11 mil per the next 3 years, he seems worth the risk, and shouldn't cost too much.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our best chance was Asik. The Rockets would have LOVED to trade him for Plumee since Plumlee is on a cheap contract and can be a decent backup to Dwight. Makes sense for us because we need a C who doesn't play like a wuss.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Our best chance was Asik. The Rockets would have LOVED to trade him for Plumee since Plumlee is on a cheap contract and can be a decent backup to Dwight. Makes sense for us because we need a C who doesn't play like a wuss.

Well, he will be a free agent next summer, so the Suns might want to go after him then.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gortat would be a nice fit with this team as presently constructed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gortat would be a nice fit with this team as presently constructed.

I keep coming back to this thought process as well. If the Suns had kept their own players (Lopez and Gortat) they would be much better off.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I keep coming back to this thought process as well. If the Suns had kept their own players (Lopez and Gortat) they would be much better off.

Heh, I was watching the game with my girlfriend last night and I said, "It is SAD that at this point I really wish we had RoLo on the team."

I just don't understand what happened to Plumlee. He was playing like a legitimate starting Center for the first month or two of the season, and then it all went downhill. I figured it was rookie (for all intents and purposes) fatigue and that he'd be back to normal this year, but he is flat-out horrible so far. :sad:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, I was watching the game with my girlfriend last night and I said, "It is SAD that at this point I really wish we had RoLo on the team."

I just don't understand what happened to Plumlee. He was playing like a legitimate starting Center for the first month or two of the season, and then it all went downhill. I figured it was rookie (for all intents and purposes) fatigue and that he'd be back to normal this year, but he is flat-out horrible so far. :sad:

As I view it, Plumlee is the best center the Suns have but unfortunately he should be a backup center. I would be very pleased with him in that role. He would have been a nice backup for Lopez.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be the only one interested in Meyers Leonard but I would consider a trade for him if Portland were willing (which seems unlikely). IMO, he has the potential to be coached up like Plumlee.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
is kenneth faried no longer a fit? I remember about a year ago his name came up a lot as a potential target for the suns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort