Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Debating with fanatics.
Let's be honest...there is really very little debate on here. Everyone just digs in their heals on whatever side of an argument they wish to support and nobody ever has a change of mind, heart or perspective. It's not really any different than arguing politics or religion in today's world.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You want 25 to 27 year old's hitting free agency who are talented, but not talented enough to get paid too much or get re-signed, who don't mind wasting a year of their premium years losing while waiting for Kyler to be ready for 2024. Who are these players specifically?

Zach Allen and Byron Murphy, for two. Kyzir White can probably fall into that zone.

I think there's a difference between a team that doesn't care about winning/is tanking and a team that wants to compete. The 2021-2022 Detroit Lions wanted to compete and do so responsibly. The 2020-2023 Houston Texans don't care about winning or about competing.

I'd prefer to follow the Lions model that had them with a winning season and on the brink of the playoffs in year 2 vs desultory endless transactions.

What primo free agent's are signing here knowing Kyler is going to miss a bunch of the season? We are the only team in the league that KNOW we are starting the year with a backup QB and that will continue for what is likely 4-6 games minimum.

All of them? Are we trying to recruit a top WR or TE? No? What's the difference to an OL if you give them a three year contract? Professional football players don't really care about winning, but they do care about being competitive.

I don't think our QB situation is any worse than the ones in Green Bay (if they move Aaron Rodgers), San Francisco, Washington, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Atlanta, and Indy. That's a quarter of the league.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Let's be honest...there is really very little debate on here. Everyone just digs in their heals on whatever side of an argument they wish to support and nobody ever has a change of mind, heart or perspective. It's not really any different than arguing politics or religion in today's world.
I think there is plenty of debate here, and I have my mind changed all the time as I get new information.

My annoyance is with those who continually tell others how to be a fan or gaslight about what/where this team is. It's one thing to follow a historically bad team but to have the true believers constantly telling everyone that everything is ok and good, and that if you're not swallowing the company line you're not a true fan is so tiresome.

I might have to just use the ignore button.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think our QB situation is any worse than the ones in Green Bay (if they move Aaron Rodgers), San Francisco, Washington, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Atlanta, and Indy. That's a quarter of the league.

All their situations are far better. We can't say who is throwing the ball game 1. All those teams can except Indy, and they can at least say it's one of 2 rookies.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It wasn’t meant to point you out. I’m sick of the rhetoric about the past. I’m already tired of every move made or not made are defined by “The Cardinal Way”.
I’m not happy with the way this year is shaping up. It’s going to be ugly. But to blast MO as dumb and comparing him to Keim is ridiculous.
You have not seen any of my post debating with anybody about who we’ve signed or who we didn’t sign. I’ve accepted and am happy with the decision to move on from the last regime and I realize the new regime to mold this team with their vision. I also realize it’s not going to happen in 1 year.
My only gripe is I want to see us bring in a QB that can at least cause a little distress on defenses, be available the whole year should Kyler not be ready until we are 2-10 AND create a little competition for Kyler. A guy like Brissett or Minshew would have fit that role. Now my guess is it might be Marriota.
Jake Haener with a fourth will work for me.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How did you find the font? Incredifont (?) is a great resource.
Already had it (or similar) from one of my many other memes. I just cycled through them until I found one that was close, looking at the accents (serifs?) on I's and L's as they were common from the 'Michael' on the original and my insertion of 'Bidwill'.

Sometimes I use a font matcher and may have to use whatever google finds as they're all spotty. This can include what the font, fontsquirrel, fontspring,etc. Generally, they have you upload a pic/screenshot of the font and try to match. You can do this or ask google, as odds are, many other people have made memes on say a name brand or popular whatever. Alot of it is eyeballing.

Sometimes it's easier just to replace all the text with your own font. You can then pick a close one, but everything matches.

Alternatively, you can pull the focus piece, in this instance, it would be the crown. Then put it onto your own background and recreate the text.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All their situations are far better. We can't say who is throwing the ball game 1. All those teams can except Indy, and they can at least say it's one of 2 rookies.
YMMV, but I'll take Colt McCoy for six games over any rookie from this class's first six games as a professional.

It's weird that five months ago you thought Colt McCoy was a better option than Kyler Murray but today you don't think he's about as good as Kenny Pickett, but you do you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
YMMV, but I'll take Colt McCoy for six games over any rookie from this class's first six games as a professional.

It's weird that five months ago you thought Colt McCoy was a better option than Kyler Murray but today you don't think he's about as good as Kenny Pickett, but you do you.

Two very, very different things which really you answered in your own post.

Kenny Pickett is ascending rookie that a very good Steelers org believe is the future. He's the starter and they are building around him.

Colt McCoy is a failed starter and career backup.

I never thought he was better than Kyler. I thought he was better than Kyler in the moment because Kyler was playing so poorly and Kliff was clearly getting frustrated.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Two very, very different things which really you answered in your own post.

Kenny Pickett is ascending rookie that a very good Steelers org believe is the future. He's the starter and they are building around him.

Colt McCoy is a failed starter and career backup.

I never thought he was better than Kyler. I thought he was better than Kyler in the moment because Kyler was playing so poorly and Kliff was clearly getting frustrated.
Yes, but the question isn't who's going to be better in 2025. The question is do you have a better solution for the first six to eight games of 2023?

I don't believe that any of the teams that I listed are better off for those games than the Cards are with Colt McCoy.

I expect that Colt McCoy's 1221st professional pass attempt is going to have more value than Jordan Love's 84th.

As I said, though, YMMV.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are the oldest franchise in the league. Quantitatively, no matter how good we were or were not we would also likely have lost more than anyone by just being around longer.

Were you around for even half of that? What do losses you never experienced matter?

In the 16 seasons since 2007 the Cards have been .500 or better 10 times and been to the playoffs 5 times. Absolutely the best period of Cardinals football in it's history. But let's dwell on previous 86 seasons. 50+ of which even the oldest fans here weren't around for.

The Jag's have picked top 10 in the draft 14 of the past 15 seasons. 8 times they picked in the top 5. Since their inception in 27 years ago they have only picked outside the top 10 8 times.

Do you think their fans are moaning about their history right now? Of course they aren't. Because it's something bitter fans only bring up when they are unhappy about the current situation.

It's a McGuffin to dismiss completely legitimate criticism of massively over the top pessimism.

There are several metrics to measure failure. The Cardinals are at the top or right up there in all of them at virtually all stages of league history, including my lifetime.

IMO, the only competitor for "most inept franchise" is the Lions. Anyone else in the conversation is too young to count.

And yes, the past does matter. You don't think Packers fans, who were born in the 80s and 90s, revel in the fact that the trophy is named after their famous Packer coach? That their team plays in an iconic sports landmark? There are Niner fans who never watched Montana live and have posters of him on their walls.

Your British... do the British not give a hoot for things Britain accomplished before their own life times?

And furthermore... everyone is buckling up for a year where we further deepen our deficit amongst the league... at least we're used to it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are several metrics to measure failure. The Cardinals are at the top or right up there in all of them at virtually all stages of league history, including my lifetime.

IMO, the only competitor for "most inept franchise" is the Lions. Anyone else in the conversation is too young to count.

And yes, the past does matter. You don't think Packers fans, who were born in the 80s and 90s, revel in the fact that the trophy is named after their famous Packer coach? That their team plays in an iconic sports landmark? There are Niner fans who never watched Montana live and have posters of him on their walls.

Your British... do the British not give a hoot for things Britain accomplished before their own life times?

And furthermore... everyone is buckling up for a year where we further deepen our deficit amongst the league... at least we're used to it.

Of course. Everyone revels in past glories.

Nobody revels in past failure.

There are lots of historically bad franchises, the Bucs for example, do you think they have brought it up much in recent years?

Its something the miserable pull out to shoot down any decent and completely meaningless.

Its as meaningless as the Raiders glory days are to how good the current Raiders are.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course. Everyone revels in past glories.

Nobody revels in past failure.

There are lots of historically bad franchises, the Bucs for example, do you think they have brought it up much in recent years?

Its something the miserable pull out to shoot down any decent and completely meaningless.

Its as meaningless as the Raiders glory days are to how good the current Raiders are.

Both teams have multiple superbowls.

Again, the Cards are at the bottom or right up against it in every measure of failure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sports fanaticism is the new fundamentalist religion.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just listened to an interview with McShay. He said Cards would be crazy not to trade 3rd pick. Thinks it will be with Raiders or Indy.

Also said something else very interesting - he said Mahomes told him that coming out of college he could not even identify the Mike linebacker on most plays. That says one heck of a lot about Kliff's coaching to me.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just listened to an interview with McShay. He said Cards would be crazy not to trade 3rd pick. Thinks it will be with Raiders or Indy.

Also said something else very interesting - he said Mahomes told him that coming out of college he could not even identify the Mike linebacker on most plays. That says one heck of a lot about Kliff's coaching to me.
Kliff probably told him to just look for someone with Mike on the back of the jersey.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That's one of the ways that the Air Raid is different from Pro Style systems. The pure Mike Leach Air Raid had like four plays, and they were basically guidelines for the quarterback and wide receivers.

It's crazy, but that's also the system that Kyler has been living in his first four years as a professional quarterback, also.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mean to be fair how many linebackers named Mike are there in the NFL??

Furthermore, they all look the same with a helmet on. :)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can sympathize with posters from the Chicago and St-Louis eras that bang on about historical ineptitude.

They lived it as fans of Big Red.

But, IMO, the more recent fans of the AZ vintage should divide their opprobrium between before the new stadium and after.

Where the franchise was upon arrival in Phoenix, its struggles, and where we are now.

This, I suggest, is a more balanced assessment.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With the signing of Jimmy G. the desire by the Raiders to move up and pay the freight has diminished greatly. McShay must realize that. As for, Indy... why not? We lose nothing by that move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose