Rank The Top Five Rookie QB's After PS Game #1

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So we have to wait until Josh Rosen plays tonight. And then update the rankings after each week's games. Should be interesting, because IMO all of the others had a pretty good first game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s over. After one preseason game the jets think they have the best rookie QB.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mayfield - shifty in the pocket. Made great decisions. Showed arm strength. Head kept moving. Wen through reads thoroughly.

Darnold - same as Mayfield

Jackson - had a good deep throw. Some innacurate passes. Wants to tuck and run but will find out the hard way you can’t run at these NFL defenders like in college.

Lauletta - showed flashes

Allen - horrible. Overthrew wr’s

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Mayfield - shifty in the pocket. Made great decisions. Showed arm strength. Head kept moving. Wen through reads thoroughly.

Jackson - had a good deep throw. Some innacurate passes. Wants to tuck and run but will find out the hard way you can’t run at these NFL defenders like in college.

Lauletta - showed flashes

Allen - horrible. Overthrew wr’s
so yer sayin that so far they are exactly what was expected in april...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Darnold will be the best NFL QB if the bunch IMO. Said it before the draft so the preseason game means nothing to me.

Baker’s preseason game showed me more because his arm talent looks very good. It looked good in college too but it’s something I noticed last night watching him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree strongly 1 A

1 B

C - I would rather have seen him throw those passes away than tuck and run. Not sure if he will kick that tendency.

Lauletta - showed flashes . Battle between Davis and Kyle for next year's job.

B good for a 4th rounder

Allen - horrible. Overthrew wr’s[/QUOTE]

B.
What WRs? they have none. Just the one bad play where the RB ran the wrong way and Josh improvised poorly.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Baker Mayfield looks just like he did in college and should turn the Browns in to a winning team. Smart and accurate with good mobility and a very good arm. The kids a winner.

Lamar Jackson looks the same as well. Good runner in the Michael Vick mold but not much of a QB otherwise. The Ravens will have to cater their offense to Jackson for him to have any success

Kyle Lauletta looks like he can be a backup. Smart and accurate in the short passing game but doesn’t have that good of an arm.

Josh Allen- He’s not ready yet and it might take him a couple years but wow. He is the whole package physically and has an elite arm. He looks like the reincarnation of John Elway. I would start him day one and let him learn.

Will add my thoughts on Rosen and Darnold after I watch their games.

Josh Rosen played pretty well. The poor guy didn't have much help but still make some plays out of nothing. I think he would have looked much better with the first team. If I had to rank the five right now it would be
1 Baker Mayfield
2 Sam Darnold
3 Josh Allen
4 Josh Rosen
5 Lamar Jackson

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My rankings:
1. Darnold
2. Mayfield
3. Jackson
4. Allen
5. Rosen

Josh has a firm grasp on last place. No where to go but up.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
cardncubfan, how do you figure he's ahead of Jackson and Allen? Based on what?

If you go by just throwing the ball he is ahead of Jackson, but Jackson was electric running the ball.

His passing numbers weren’t very good 4/10 33 yds and an INT followed by 7/16 for 119 yds.

Reaction score
cardncubfan, how do you figure he's ahead of Jackson and Allen? Based on what?

For one you can't judge Rosen much on what happened last night due to him having to pick the ball up off the ground each hike. When the hikes were good the o-line was like a sieve. He showed he could stand in the pocket to make a throw when Melvin Ingram is bearing down on him. He also showed accuracy which the other two did not. If you want a pure runner then Jackson is your man. But his passing skills weren't that great. Josh isn't much of a runner.

What did you see in the two that you would put them ahead of Rosen?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's Sam Darnold...it has always been Sam Darnold. That said, if Rosen played behind the #1 offensive line for half of his snaps, he would have looked closer to Baker in terms of performance.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1. Josh Rosen

How he looked: Rosen made two highlight-reel plays: a 21-yard strike to Gabe Holmes after side-stepping two Chargers pass-rushers and a back-shoulder sideline throw to Greg Little (who could not get both feet down to make the catch count). He also coped with several terrible shotgun snaps. But a defender also dropped a likely pick-six, and Rosen sprayed a few off-target passes into dangerous locations. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't Mayfield/Darnold-level encouraging.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...igest-overreacting-to-preseason-week-1#slide2

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Darnold and Allen both looked like they're ready for the next level to me. Darnold moreso but I was impressed by Allen. Both looked like naturals and meant for the big leagues.

Mayfield was impressive in the pocket. He displayed the ability to step up in the pocket and to extend plays. But I'm skeptical of him being able to make a living being creative once he's facing a specific scheme and starting talent. His throws were inconsistent and looked like they took effort.

Jackson was even more dependent on his legs and his passing was inconsistent. Don't see how that's going to translate once he's in real games.

Rudolph looked like a rookie and the game looked too much for him right now. Didn't see an issue with arm strength but he also wasn't comfortable.

Rosen seemed okay but as other have mentioned, there was too much outside the norm for him to deal with to really get a feel for how he was doing. Had the arm to make throws but the inexplicable decision was there too.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Darnold and Allen both looked like they're ready for the next level to me. Darnold moreso but I was impressed by Allen. Both looked like naturals and meant for the big leagues.

Mayfield was impressive in the pocket. He displayed the ability to step up in the pocket and to extend plays. But I'm skeptical of him being able to make a living being creative once he's facing a specific scheme and starting talent. His throws were inconsistent and looked like they took effort.

Jackson was even more dependent on his legs and his passing was inconsistent. Don't see how that's going to translate once he's in real games.

Rudolph looked like a rookie and the game looked too much for him right now. Didn't see an issue with arm strength but he also wasn't comfortable.

Rosen seemed okay but as other have mentioned, there was too much outside the norm for him to deal with to really get a feel for how he was doing. Had the arm to make throws but the inexplicable decision was there too.

Allen sucks

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Allen sucks
Jeez, could you pare down your thoughts? I don't want to feel like I'm reading Tolstoy when I come to a message board. Why make others have to sift through all of those stats, comparisons and examples in support of your opinion when you could just express your feelings?

EDIT: Not sure who takes the time but for most of the rookies out there, YouTube has "Every <insert name> throw" vidoes". Here's Allen's for those that missed it:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, could you pare down your thoughts? I don't want to feel like I'm reading Tolstoy when I come to a message board. Why make others have to sift through all of those stats, comparisons and examples in support of your opinion when you could just express your feelings?

EDIT: Not sure who takes the time but for most of the rookies out there, YouTube has "Every <insert name> throw" vidoes". Here's Allen's for those that missed it:
I watched his plays the other day and thought he looked pretty good except for that one goofball play.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I watched his plays the other day and thought he looked pretty good except for that one goofball play.
There were quite a few impressive throws IMO. The first play down the sideline that the receiver went out of bounds. The deep shot to the end zone that the receiver short-armed/didn't dive. The roll right, back foot throw down the sideline to the TE. The TD to the corner in between defenders. Guy has elite arm strength and I didn't see any of the accuracy issues so many were concerned about.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I actually have read "War and Peace" three times and Josh Allen is not worth the same consideration as Tolstoy lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard