Rambo: Last Blood

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Variety, Nu Image/Millennium Films has given the green light to the fifth installment in the "Rambo" franchise, with Sylvester Stallone starring and directing, repeating his duties from 2008's Rambo.

The storyline for the fifth film revolves around Rambo fighting his way through human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl abducted near the U.S.-Mexico border.

The production will start in the spring.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last one was excellent, but I have a feeling this one is just too much. Far too over the top (pun intended) for me.

Many people felt for sure the last one wouldbe too. so I'll see it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Many people felt for sure the last one wouldbe too. so I'll see it.

I really wanted to see the last one because it was purported to be a really serious and non-cheesy Rambo, much like the first one, and because many people were saying it would be the series capper. It also very much had the feel of finality to it for me. I think this one has the feel of a money grubber, because of the success of the last one. No thanks for me.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From AICN, etc:

Last Monday, it was announced that Nu Image/Millennium Films had given the green light to a fifth installment in the "Rambo" franchise. The trades said that the "storyline for the fifth film revolves around Rambo fighting his way through human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl abducted near the U.S.-Mexico border."

:nono:

According to Sylvester Stallone in several communications with Ain't It Cool News, that storyline is way off. Instead, Sly gave the site a rundown of what to expect instead. Several days later, the site followed up with an official synopsis for the film that is being passed around, and that's where it gets interesting.

You see, Stallone has owned the film rights to the novel "Hunter" by James Byron Huggins for about 10 years, and it looks like he's adapting that book as the next "Rambo" film.

Here's the synopsis for the newly-titled Rambo 5: The Savage Hunt:

John Rambo could track anyone - or anything - on earth. Now the military desperately needs him for a mission that his ultrasensitive instincts tell him he should refuse. A beast is loose somewhere north of the Artic Circle. It has already decimated a secret research facility and annihilated a squad of elite military guards. And the raging creature is headed south toward civilization, ready to wreak bloody devastation.

It's a job that Rambo and his 22-year-old hunting partner, Beau Brady, can't turn down, but they and a team of highly-skilled special forces kill team discover that the prey is a terror beyond their wildest imagination - a half-human abomination created by a renegade agency through a series of outlawed genetic experiments. It has man's cunning, a predator's savageness, and a prehistoric power that has transcended the ages. And even if Rambo and Beau survive its unrelenting hunger for human blood, they'll still have to contront the grim reality that it may have grown immortal.

And here is the official description of James Byron Huggins' "Hunter":

One of Hollywood's hottest action-film writers, James Byron Huggins is a master at keeping the action rolling and the pages turning. Here, the author of Cain ("may be the thriller of the year" -- BookPage), unleashes a lightning-quick tale that pits a man born out of his time against the future's deadliest creation.

Nathaniel Hunter could track anyone -- or anything -- on earth. Now the military desperately needs him for a mission that his ultrasensitive instincts tell him he should refuse. A beast is loose somewhere north of the Arctic Circle. It has already decimated a secret research facility and annihilated a squad of elite military guards. And the raging creature is headed south toward civilization, ready to wreak bloody devastation.

It's a job that Hunter can't turn down, but he soon discovers that his prey is terror incarnate, a half-human abomination created by a renegade agency through a series of outlawed genetic experiments. It has man's cunning, a predator's savageness, and a prehistoric power that has transcended the ages. And even if Hunter survives its unrelenting hunger for human blood, he'll still have to confront the grim reality that it may have grown immortal.

Are Stallone's rights to the novel expiring soon to where he has to make a film soon? We may never know, but here is a poster that Stallone told AICN is debuting at the Toronto Film Festival.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Um, wow. Sounds like even worse suckitude.

LOL, that's fake. Come on now. Why would Stallone himself say a poster would debut when the poster has art from the last Rambo film? Have you ever seen that happen?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
LOL, that's fake. Come on now. Why would Stallone himself say a poster would debut when the poster has art from the last Rambo film? Have you ever seen that happen?

Yeah, it has to be fake. If not :barf:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to an interview with Empire magazine, Sylvester Stallone revealed that the movie is dead. "I think Rambo's pretty well done. I don't think there will be any more. I'm about 99% sure," he said, adding that he would rather focus on another franchise. "We're already working on an [Expendables] sequel."

"Rambo 5: The Savage Hunt" would have revolved around a military project that develops super-soldiers (half-human abominations) by bringing out their "savagery." When one of these soldiers escapes, Rambo and a Block Ops squad are called in to save the day.

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17568&count=0#ixzz0mkYl66N9

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Too bad. The "Rambo fighting his way through human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl" plot sounded like it would have been good.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, Rambo is not done. New film comes out in September.

Rambo: Last Blood

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks more like a generic action flick. I mean does setting traps make this Rambo?

Not so sure but maybe this ties into something bigger.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in... except this doesn’t feel like Rambo. We’ll see.

right? at least use the Rambo score to try and tie it back to him.

don't understand for the life of me the marketing behind this and Terminator. Both are playing heavily on nostalgia but neither uses the iconic score to tie the new movies to the old. it's an odd marketing choice to leave those scores out entirely.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
right? at least use the Rambo score to try and tie it back to him.

don't understand for the life of me the marketing behind this and Terminator. Both are playing heavily on nostalgia but neither uses the iconic score to tie the new movies to the old. it's an odd marketing choice to leave those scores out entirely.

Oh...good point. I had not realized that about the scores until you brought it up. Seriously, if you want to be nostalgic what does that more than the music?

I remember you and I talking about how awesome the classic score timing was when SW:TFA trailer was released and the Falcon appeared.

Good catch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...good point. I had not realized that about the scores until you brought it up. Seriously, if you want to be nostalgic what does that more than the music?

I remember you and I talking about how awesome the score timing was when SW:TFA trailer was released.

they're such a part of the fabric of those movies. just is a little mind-boggling to me that they're not being used.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
they're such a part of the fabric of those movies. just is a little mind-boggling to me that they're not being used.
Maybe the “Official” trailers will have it. I don’t know—for “teasers,” these trailers are pretty long.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's amazing and I know @Chaplin knows this especially but how magical not only using the original score is but how important timing is. The example in the TFA original trailer is a perfect example how much impact simply timing something correctly changes the feel of something.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's amazing and I know @Chaplin knows this especially but how magical not only using the original score is but how important timing is. The example in the TFA original trailer is a perfect example how much impact simply timing something correctly changes the feel of something.
That's true, and Cheese has a good point, especially with Terminator and to a lesser extend Rambo. To me, the iconic Rambo music is from Part 2, which hasn't been used again (at least not in that iconic way) and from First Blood, which was never used outside of that one movie.

Terminator is a much bigger head-scratcher, considering all the negative capital they've picked up from the last 4 movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true, and Cheese has a good point, especially with Terminator and to a lesser extend Rambo. To me, the iconic Rambo music is from Part 2, which hasn't been used again (at least not in that iconic way) and from First Blood, which was never used outside of that one movie.

the Rambo: First Blood Part 2 score was actually written by Jerry Goldsmith who wrote the original score. It was just more... uh... actionized (for lack of a better term) up from the original score "It's A Long Road" from First Blood. You can listen to the two here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

and Goldsmith's score from Rambo 3 (which was pretty awful except for the incredible exchange of Who Are You? I'M YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!)

To not use ANY version of those scores or at least an updated one just seems stupid to me... if you hadn't noticed by now. :)

Man... I miss Jerry Goldsmith scores. Total Recall, Gremlins, Poltergeist, Hoosiers, Rambo are some of my favorites ever and all so completely different.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... I miss Jerry Goldsmith scores. Total Recall, Gremlins, Poltergeist, Hoosiers, Rambo are some of my favorites ever and all so completely different.

Amazing composer. One of my favorites of all time. Man when John Williams goes that will be a big blow to my top 5.