Quick Assessment of Bengal Game

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relying on James Connor to be a bellcow and not having a credible backup is a really bad strategy.
The guy seeks out contact to deliver punishment. You should anticipate him getting dinged up every game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, the point is to get better and get the coaches some good gametime chops themselves, but not to win. We have a once in a generation opportunity to rebuild this team starting after this season.

You don't Rest Kyler for 6 weeks, give away DHop, Pugh, JJ Watt, McCoy, and almost all of our recent young draft picks all over the field and not replace them, and then complain about not winning and 'mistakes'.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, the point is to get better and get the coaches some good gametime chops themselves, but not to win. We have a once in a generation opportunity to rebuild this team starting after this season.

You don't Rest Kyler for 6 weeks, give away DHop, Pugh, JJ Watt, McCoy, and almost all of our recent young draft picks all over the field and not replace them, and then complain about not winning and 'mistakes'.
solidly agree

Reaction score
I’ll post a detailed review of the game by Tuesday. However, I could explain the result with 2 observations.

Years ago I enjoyed a quiz show called To Tell the Truth. 3 contestants would claim to be someone. After the panel questioned them the host would say something like, “Will the real Josh Dobbs please stand up.” For 2 weeks I’ve reported my astonishment that Dobbs looked like an NFL QB, although not a special one last week. Sunday he stood up and showed the form that had gotten him passed over by 4 other teams. He’s not an NFL QB, but the Cards have done an amazing job of making him look like one on occasion. If he has to carry the team to a win, he lacks the skill. In the right circumstances his limitations can be disguised. Sunday the disguise failed.

In my game preview I wrote, “Wilson continues to be a liability. He gives too much cushion. He also reacts hesitantly to speed routes of various types. Wilson lacks the catch up speed necessary to allow him to lose contact with receivers like he has been doing. Chase will eat him alive.” There’s not much else to it. Wilson started every down 10 yards from Chase.

Lol, weird, all day I was thinking will the real Josh Dobbs please stand up after that performance yesterday. Then I come here & read this. Must be great minds think alike. Either that or we both remember the show or Eminem songs lol. He was very inconsistent & seemed to be the back up JD that's been on several teams. It seems he's a great back up but he's not an everyday starter in the NFL. Great post Harry. ;)