Projected 2007 Lineup

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
We have hit a lull in the Hot Stove League and there is no doubt there are more moves to be made. I want to wait until after these trades are completed to think about our pitching rotation (our weak spot as an organization since RJ and Schilling left) as I feel Byrnes will make it a priority to acquire young pitching in future deals for Glaus and possibly Green and Gonzo (the famed G-Unit didn’t quite pan out did it??) But now I am thinking that we have position players stacked for the future rivaled by only Anaheim in my estimation. Granted its likely one or two of these players will never fill out their lofty productions, but then again some on this list could actually be better than we are thinking or maybe we acquire someone else or someone unheralded steps up. I don’t know. But its fun to speculate. So knowing what we know about these players as of now, I want to project a future batting order. A few assumptions I am making: Upton will be signed in the week long period coming up in a few months, Montero and Gonzalez will not be ready by opening day 2007, and Shawn Green will be the only vet position player left standing by the time that season opens. Also I’m not accounting for Lefty or Righty but rather plate discipline, speed and batting style. Here’s what I see:

Leadoff (CF) Chris Young: It is said that Upton is faster and both have remarkable power potential for batting either 1-2 in the order but I think Young will end up being our leadoff speedster. He strikes out a lot now, but what made him rise as a prospect this past season is his ability to adjust and hit breaking balls. He also took more walks then you would expect for a guy who whiffed that much. For a 22 year old that is remarkable. He might develop 30 HR potential but I like him right here and hopefully he steals 40 bases a season and is a solid glove out in CF.

2nd (3B) Chad Tracy: I wrestled with this one here. I love the idea behind Upton batting right here and having monster speed on the base paths (Pierre and Castillo are the real reasons behind that 2003 championship) but I think he just has too much potential power wise. Tracy is a subpar defender at third but he is a diligent worker and I could see after a full year there in 2006, he would be able to raise his game to average or above average which is good enough. Plus if you need some one to get runners into scoring position, bunt, or hit sac flies, no body handles a bat better than Chad. A young Mark Grace who could fill this spot for years.

3rd (SS) Upton: This might not happen opening day 2007 but im thinking it will bear out. Hopefully we sign him and he tears up the minor leagues this year and maybe even gets in as a September call up this year. He keeps getting compared to Grffey and Griffey never spent a day in the minors. Anyway I think him and Drew will end up being our DP combo with Upton getting SS due to his athleticism, arm, and range. Not that Drew lacks those qualities but Upton is five tools. He plays the more important position.

Clean-up (2B) Drew: A second baseman as your cleanup hitter? How many teams have that luxury. I think Drew is a cinch for 30 HRs a year with the ability to get to 40 now and then if he stays healthy and works. My only worry about this kid is that he is related to the oft-injured mentally fragile J.D. and reports say he is much the same in demeanor. Lets hope the apple rolled away from the tree completely on this one…..

5th (1B) Conor Jackson: God I love this kid. He reminds me so much of Manny Ramirez and he might be able to produce like that when he gets about five years experience. Until then I see him as a 120 RBI guy hitting over .300. That’s nothing to scoff at and I feel his power will develop as time goes on. Another ideal guy at this spot in the line up.

6th (LF) Carlos Quentin: This is kind of by default. I have to admit I am the most skeptical of this guy over the previous five guys. Mostly my questions are health related. But his production and pedigree cannot be overlooked. Hopefully everyone else is right and he is the bookend to Conor we are all hoping for. But I have no idea what his numbers project to as a pro.

7th (RF) Shawn Green: The vet influence the team will likely keep around just for experience reasons. Obviously his skills will erode by this time but I see him being much like Gonzo these last three years as it will be a steady decline and he can still be a 25 HR 80 RBI guy at this point while playing solid defense.

8th (C) Johnny Estrada: If this guy hits .300 like many think he will we might have the best lineup in baseball provided the other guys produce and produce fast……

Granted it will likely take longer for Drew, Quentin, Upton and Young to start playing at a very high level than 2007, but we have all the makings. And now we can concentrate solely on pitching in the draft and FA and a lot can be said for that. I am excited. That’s for sure……

therealjp

Reaction score
any ideas for the pitching rotation?

everyone can come up with an easy batting lineup for the d'backs but the pitching staff would be a lot tougher.

anyone can go-

cf- upton
ss- drew
1b- jackson
3b- glaus
lf- quentin
2b- cintron
c- montero
rf- zeringue

but its a lot tougher to figure out a future pitching rotation, imo

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
therealjp said:
any ideas for the pitching rotation?

everyone can come up with an easy batting lineup for the d'backs but the pitching staff would be a lot tougher.

anyone can go-

cf- upton
ss- drew
1b- jackson
3b- glaus
lf- quentin
2b- cintron
c- montero
rf- zeringue

but its a lot tougher to figure out a future pitching rotation, imo

So Chris Young doesn't make the lineup?

therealjp

Reaction score
yeah.

you know every prospect doesnt turn into everything he is all cracked up to be.

I believe Tracy/Glaus will be traded within a year, and also one of Gonzo/Green.

I also believe we will get a prospect to come out of the blue like zeringue and make the team in '07.

The only really sure-fire all-star/general stud in the making we have is Drew.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nm132 said:
I think you're about the only guy that would go like that.

He was an All-American RF for a great LSU team, so I think he could play right field. But he will be moved to LF because of Quentin in RF, unless he gets dealt.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
He was an All-American RF for a great LSU team, so I think he could play right field. But he will be moved to LF because of Quentin in RF, unless he gets dealt.

He had a bad year this season, but I think he will pull it together in 2006. However, I don't see him making the team, in 2007, but as being more of trade bait.

therealjp

Reaction score
guys the point I was trying to make was that its easy to fill out a lineup of hitters, but what do you think about the pitching staff?

certainly not as good as our offense.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
therealjp said:
guys the point I was trying to make was that its easy to fill out a lineup of hitters, but what do you think about the pitching staff?

Yeah i got it...

the reason i did not include pitching staff is because i dont think 3/5 of that 2007 rotation is on the team yet...

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
therealjp said:

You are right that it is easier to fill out the line-up, but it is damn near impossible to project who will be in the rotation in 2007. However, I will give it my best shot.

Projected 2007 Pitching Staff (With the team as it stands now, majors and minors)
#1- Webb
#2- Ortiz (sadly)
#3- Nippert
#4- Halsey
#5- Owings/Mock/Torra/Chico/En. Gonzalez/Ed. Gonzalez (again... sadly)

Relievers will probably consist of Medders, Aquino, Lyon, Bulger, and Vizcaino with the closer being Valverde.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
First, good post AF.. Good topic to keep the discussion here going.

Here's my projected lineup.

Leadoff (SS) Justin Upton: I think Upton's overall speed makes him the slight nod over Young for this position. Seeing either at the leadoff spot wouldn't shock me.

2nd (CF) Chris Young: An Upton-Young 1-2 in the lineup would be murder on the basepaths. These two would set the table for the mashers in the middle and would make Arizona's offense a force to be reconed with.

3rd (3B) Chad Tracy: Tracy's power numbers surged this year, and I think it was a sign of what he's capable of. I envision quite a few 30-35 homer, 100+ RBI, .300 seasons on the horizon, and he could fill the three hole adequately for the next decade.

Clean-up (2B) Drew: If I had to make a comparison, I'd call him a less assholish Jeff Kent. The power and RBI potential is there. Everything else you said, I agree with.

5th (RF) Carlos Gonzalez: While I agree with everyone about Conor Jackson, it's Gonzalez who is the "apple of my eye". He reminds me in many, many ways of an Albert Pujols-Miguel Cabrera clone, and is a guy who I see hitting .325, 45, 130 routinely.

6th (1B) Conor Jackson: Picking between he and Gonzalez was tough. I think both mirror one another, so again (like with Upton and Young) Arizona as an organization wins out for having two similar players with such huge upside.

7th (LF) Shawn Green: All the reasons you mentioned above.

8th (C) Johnny Estrada: I don't see Montero being ready, and as stated, if he hits as he's capable of (and everyone else pans out), this is without question the most potent offense in MLB.

Here's my starting pitching staff:

(Ace): Brandon Webb: He's only gotten better each season, and by '07 I project him being a routine 18 wins, low 3s ERA guy.

(#2) Brad Hasley: He's another, like Webb, who's on the up and up and a guy I can see winning 15-17, and having a 3 ERA.

(#3) Russ Ortiz: Unlike everyone else, I'm thinking last year was the exception, not the norm. Granted, he's never been one for the low ERA, but I can see him winning 10-15 a year.

(#4) Dustin Nippert: Nippert might have the best stuff of any pitcher currently in the Diamondback organization. I see him fully entranched in the Diamondback rotation by '07 and will continue to sow his growth as a future 20 wins guy.

(#5) Unknown Veteran.

He'll be on the molds of a Shawn Estes, El Duque (short term option). I'm not going to predict names though cause I can't.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
You are right that it is easier to fill out the line-up, but it is damn near impossible to project who will be in the rotation in 2007. However, I will give it my best shot.

Projected 2007 Pitching Staff (With the team as it stands now, majors and minors)
#1- Webb
#2- Ortiz (sadly)
#3- Nippert
#4- Halsey
#5- Owings/Mock/Torra/Chico/En. Gonzalez/Ed. Gonzalez (again... sadly)

We need to sign a total of 2 above average starting pitchers in the next two offseasons (not including this offseason). I don't think we can bank on our pitching prospects for this year or '07, in exception of Nippert

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
We need to sign a total of 2 above average starting pitchers in the next two offseasons (not including this offseason). I don't think we can bank on our pitching prospects for this year or '07, in exception of Nippert

Right, but I am not going to project us signing someone. We can't expect this team to go and sign some great pitcher place him at #1 for the 2007 season (i.e. Zito). I don't think any of the pitchers I named at #5 will be up at 2007, but they are the most likely to be called upon as the orginization stands right now.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Snake said:
(#2) Brad Hasley: He's another, like Webb, who's on the up and up and a guy I can see winning 15-17, and having a 3 ERA.

I don't know. Halsey does not have the pure stuff to be that dominant in the league. He is most likely to be a solid #4 starter on a good team. I expect him to win 10 games next year and to have around a 4.15 to 4.40 era. A solid starting pitcher, but not a 15-17 game winner.

There are very few pitchers like Glavine out there who can be an ace with mediocre stuff. The thing about Halsey is that he is a smart guy, who doesn't get rattled and knows how to pitch and not just throw. However, he does not blow hitters away with his stuff or scare them with his breaking ball.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know depending on what they do w/ Glaus or Green we can't really say who will be on our pitching staff.

But here is what I am thinking makes a little sense. If we trade Glaus we need only pitching prospects (2 or 3). But if we keep Green which is what I think happens if Glaus goes then we should trade Quentin for Zito. Let me explain why, Green is signed for 4 more years and Carlos Gonzalez should be ready within 2 years so why not get Zito after he signs an extension of course. I wish we would have gotten Garland or McCarthy for Vazquez but we didn't so could we get Clement and Lester from Boston for Glaus.

Our rotation would look like this after the moves:

Zito
Clement
Webb
Halsey
Ortiz

By 2007

Zito
Webb
Halsey
Lester
Nippert

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Boston won't give up both Lester and Clement. Lester is a future staple in their staff. They wiil give up Clement and I'm all for that trade. Boondock, I agree with what you posted. I was just suggesting what I think we should do, not projecting. My bad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard